- - - - -

EGCG: Pro's & Cons

egcg liver toxicity muscle myostatin

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 manofsan

• 1,223 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:24 AM

So I've read that EGCG is a Myostatin blocker, and that it can also help with Neurogenesis. I've seen many ads which also mention weight loss or fat-burning. So those are pro's. Any others? What's real and what's hype?

But I've also read that EGCG can cause liver toxicity and damage. So those are cons. Any others? What's real and what's hype?

Has anyone here ever used EGCG and can comment on what they've experienced regarding benefits and problems?

Also, if it does pose a risk to the liver, then is there any other substance that can be taken to offset that?

Edited by manofsan, 10 April 2019 - 03:14 AM.

#2 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:05 AM

My humble opinion is EGCG is one of those neutraceuticals that works best when taken in low doses, much like you'd get in a cup or two of green tea.  

All but one of the EGCG supplements I've seen contain doses far larger than I would ever want to take.  A pill cutter may come in handy.  

I've found it is indeed an excellent appetite suppressant.  I used to take a low dose EGCG supp combined with caffeine to help me overcome my post lunch slump at work.  While it worked great for this, I found when it came time for dinner (around 5 hours later), I really didn't feel like eating.  It took me a while to make the connection, as I wasn't taking it for appetite suppression.  

Bottom line...  More isn't always better!  I still drink fresh brewed green tea (the bottled stuff is supposed to be no good), but steer clear of the mega-dose supplements. 

Edited by Dorian Grey, 10 April 2019 - 07:07 AM.

• Agree x 2
  • Needs references x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 10:58 AM

Has anyone here ever used EGCG and can comment on what they've experienced regarding benefits and problems?

Guess everyone will answer differently. Took green tea extract at about 250 mg/d for the last 10 years, and didn't mentioned any problems, but experienced remission from debilitating PAD symptoms during this time. Even a NAFDL shrunk again.

Therefore always good to look at studies for potential benefits or risks, or articles which are referenced, like:

https://examine.com/...-tea-catechins/

https://selfhacked.com/blog/green-tea/

• Good Point x 1

#4 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:44 PM

You are right on toxicity. Underdose. There's no need to take 350mg twice a day. I take 250mg once and I don't mind not taking it everyday.

• Needs references x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 osris

• 518 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 06:33 PM

Reports of liver damage due to green tea are exaggerated. See:

"There remain liver-related safety concerns, regarding potential hepatotoxicity in humans, induced by green tea intake, despite being supposedly beneficial. Although many randomized controlled trials (RCTs) of green tea extracts have been reported in the literature, the systematic reviews published to date were only based on subjective assessment of case reports. To more objectively examine the liver-related safety of green tea intake, we conducted a systematic review of published RCTs. A systematic literature search was conducted using three databases (PubMed, EMBASE and Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials) in December 2013 to identify RCTs of green tea extracts. Data on liver-related adverse events, including laboratory test abnormalities, were abstracted from the identified articles. Methodological quality of RCTs was assessed. After excluding duplicates, 561 titles and abstracts and 119 full-text articles were screened, and finally 34 trials were identified. Of these, liver-related adverse events were reported in four trials; these adverse events involved seven subjects (eight events) in the green tea intervention group and one subject (one event) in the control group. The summary odds ratio, estimated using a meta-analysis method for spare event data, for intervention compared with placebo was 2.1 (95% confidence interval: 0.5–9.8). The few events reported in both groups were elevations of liver enzymes. Most were mild, and no serious liver-related adverse events were reported. Results of this review, although not conclusive, suggest that liver-related adverse events after intake of green tea extracts are expected to be rare."

https://pubmed.ncbi....h.gov/27188915/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: egcg, liver, toxicity, muscle, myostatin

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users