• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Broccoli seeds actually caused hair loss instead!

hair hair loss broccoli broccoli sprouts broccoli seeds broccoli florets dht dihydrotestosterone 5ar finasteride

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Leon93

• 72 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 09:07 PM

Wow. So I recently ordered some broccoli seeds because they are like basically the healthiest food on the entire planet - far higher in pre-sulforaphane compounds than even raw supermarket broccoli florets and broccoli sprouts (I thank Darryl for the sources in the comment section): https://nutritionfac...ods-for-autism/

And yes - my hair immediately started to become thinner. After 3 days of consuming only about a few grams a day of the raw broccoli seeds I realized. Apparently it can actually increase DHT whereas most sources claim it actually lowers DHT (which is good for hair growth). This link explains the very particular mechanism:
https://perfecthairh...dht-metabolism/
Most sources claim broccoli seeds are excellent for hair, even a few PubMed ones. Perhaps I am an outlier, just like the creatine monohydrate I stopped taking about 2 years ago.

Its all about inhibiting 5-alpha reductase enzyme (5AR) and thereafter dihydrotestosterone (DHT).
I've formerly experimented with all kinds of herbs, lots of them to restore the volume of my hair as it once was before. Really slow results. Then I took 1/8th or 1/16th of 1mg finasteride a day - really fast effective results.
There was a study which pointed out that 1/8th or 1/16th of 1mg a day inhibited DHT by about the same amount as 1 entire pill of 1mg. As a result, this smaller dosage also comes with fewer common side-effects, like lower libido and lower quality semen. Luckily, all side-effects diminish after stopping intake of finasteride.

Does anyone think sprouting perhaps can cause the opposite effect? Most sources are about people consuming either sprouts or florets, not the raw seeds! And please dont mention the (supposed anti-nutrient) urucic acid, that appears to be a complete myth.

Edited by Leon93, 10 May 2019 - 09:13 PM.

• Good Point x 1
  • like x 1

#2 Leon93

• Topic Starter
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 12:16 PM

I think I can give a little update: this all probably has to do with the fact that raw seeds have to be disinfected first. Earlier I read bleach solution is usually used prior to consumption. Yes, bleach! Which is why I only soaked the seeds for 2 hours in water solution. Soaking the seeds merely in water for 2 hours seems to be giving even worse symptoms then eating seeds raw directly. But luckily I read vinegar is also a viable (more healthy) alternative:
https://mtgarfieldgr...-for-sprouting/. Soaking for 15 minutes seems to be all which is needed.

I became rather sick today (weird that it took about 4/5 days for that to start, probably has to do with the fact that I started soaking seeds in water yesterday), even though it is merely limited to excretion. Stomach also seems to be upset all day. I can recall from 2 years ago I had about the same symptoms when I consumed raw sprouted wheat.

Hair turned mostly normal again today, I had experienced this earlier as well. Hair seems to be become thinner for 12-18 hours, but after 24 hours seems to be mostly restored again. But this might be thanks to the quarter mg of finasteride I took about each day. Yes, this is higher than what I formerly took now and then (nothing up to 1/8th of 1mg finasteride a day).

And on the urucid acid I talked about earlier - it is a myth because Indians consume mustard oil which is far higher in urucic acid then what can be obtained from a few grams of broccoli seeds.

Edited by Leon93, 11 May 2019 - 12:20 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 WillNitschke

• 79 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:34 AM

"so I recently ordered some broccoli seeds because they are like basically the healthiest food on the entire planet"

Except it's high in erucic acid, which is linked to cancer in some animal studies.

"Hair seems to be become thinner for 12-18 hours, but after 24 hours seems to be mostly restored again"

Hair is essentially dead matter, similar to finger nails. It does not become thinner, etc., then restore itself. This is entirely a product of your own imagination.

• Agree x 4

#4 Keizo

• 483 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 July 2019 - 01:07 PM

As far as I know the erucic acid doesn't have anything to do with how you feel, nor your hair, but who knows.

edit: Okay I read your comment about mustard seeds. Well, again I don't know why it would have anything to do with any obvious effects. As far as I know, no one knows how dangerous  erucic acid is  for humans (or if it's benign) and at what dosages. And how would these mustard eating people go about measuring these things that may not be very obvious, or not obviously related to mustard?

Anyway I can't really relate to loosing hair nor having stomach upsets after eating raw unsprouted (or sprouted) broccoli seeds, as I've done that from time to time.

Edited by Keizo, 07 July 2019 - 01:18 PM.

#5 Leon93

• Topic Starter
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 12:51 AM

I have been testing broccoli seeds for months now and have come to final conclusions: it really is the unsprouted seeds which impact my hair tremendously. I've tried putting them in vinegar solution for hours, even soak them for 8 hours afterwards, which didn't help at all. The only best succesful way of me preparing broccoli seeds is to soak them in vinegar solution for 30 minutes, then soak for 8 hours, and then finally make them sprout for 5 days. It probably is the erucic acid, which may act as an anti-nutrient.

Every time I take raw unsprouted seeds, even when prepared in many different ways, my hair is impacted negatively. Interesting others haven't seemed to have similar effects. I called the producer who also said he used regular ways of producing the seeds. It probably is all at my end with my particular genes. Interesting to see I have such sensitive hair, but luckily I had a lot to start at anyway

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hair, hair loss, broccoli, broccoli sprouts, broccoli seeds, broccoli florets, dht, dihydrotestosterone, 5ar, finasteride

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users