the best source of resveratrol is

resveratrol

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GABAergic

• 349 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 04:49 AM

according to this interesting video; https://nutritionfac...of-resveratrol/

im very interested in a discussion on this after seeing the video please. i know dr greger is a bit too much sometimes, but i find this video making a lot of sense personally

so as much as i know, all the resveratrol we get now days comes from highly processed, massively produced capsules made from knotweed  *yuck*

Edited by GABAergic, 12 May 2019 - 04:51 AM.

• Enjoying the show x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#2 Oakman

Posted 12 May 2019 - 01:22 PM

Short videos with sensational themes are not really the way to determine what supplements you might take, or where they should come from. This video was one where everything mentioned was of the type, "everything is pretty useless and not worth taking". For resveratrol in particular, it is simply a chemical, where it comes from is less important than how well it is purified. For example, this is 100% trans-R, from somewhere, but who cares where, as there's nothing left but trans-R!  As to its efficacy, I think a little more research might be justified. One good place is here at PubChem.

Edited by Oakman, 12 May 2019 - 01:22 PM.

• Good Point x 2
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Agree x 1

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 GABAergic

• Topic Starter
  • 349 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 07:08 PM

actually you are right its just simply a chemical. and thats actually the problem when people concentrate on a single compound in our world of complex nature. resveratrol in natural sources is bound and connected to thousands of other chemicals and creates different chemical reactions for each source separately either within the source or within us when we consume the source, whole!  you dont just isolate and maximize the effects of any single chemical out there and sell it to the masses without a good reliable non sponsored human study showing benefit.

so, i posted the video as to break the ice as its an entertaining video but with valid point beneath its fuzz..

the product you mention is supposedly 100% (nobody will ever know how true that is) and its emodin free which is a big problem with resveratrol on the market now days. just too many impurities because, very specifically, come from a single bad unreliable source. why didnt you post this in my looking for good quality source resveratrol i have on here? i was trying hard to find emodin free or just generally knotweed free resveratrol.

anyway, thanks for this source, BUT i disagree with you that single isolation of supposedly beneficial compounds is the best idea. i was looking for better quality resveratrol out of curiosity but as mentioned above, i will never agree single isolated compounds, like resveratrol here, out of thousands in a single source that work in synchronicity is a good idea.

• Ill informed x 3

#4 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 03:46 PM

Resveratrol from Knotweed is bioidentical to that from grapes.  The difference may lie in the other chemicals in the source.  With knotweed, that is emodin, a chemical that causes diarrhea and perhaps gave knotweed a bad name.  The shoots of young knotweed, when it is less than 6 inches (15 cm) tall, can be cooked like any green.  Taste like rhubarb.  Older than that, it is too tough.  But I don't recommend knotweed shoots as a source of resveratrol..  It just has the same benefit as other vegetables.

Many "natural" products contain a host of secondary chemicals some of which are toxic to the liver, or carcinogenic.  You need to approach it on a case by case basis.  Sometimes the chemicals do not work in synchrony, but act in opposition. 

Resveratrol has not lived up to its original hype, but the pure substance is not inert and can have beneficial effects, even it you won't live longer.  As many long-time followers of this forum are aware.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 sedentary

• 155 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:04 AM

im consuming this for my resveratrol; https://en.wikipedia...i/Gnetum_gnemon

its popular plant used as food in some asian countries. it is quite rich in stilbenoids, including proper natural dimer resveratrol. cannot see good reason to take the pill extracts. arent they processed with hexane and other solvents ?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: resveratrol

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users