- - - - -

Beta-Hydroxybutyrate (BHB) like GHB?

bhb ghb beta-hydroxybutyrate gamma-hydroxybutyrate gaba

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:36 PM

I ran across this article today as I was looking at the BHB keto supplements for sale. There are a lot of them on Amazon.

Med Hypotheses. 2007;68(2):268-71. Epub 2006 Oct 2.

Anecdotal evidence links the initial phase of fasting or a low-carbohydrate diet with feelings of well-being and mild euphoria. These feelings have often been attributed to ketosis, the production of ketone bodies which can replace glucose as an energy source for the brain. One of these ketone bodies, beta-hydroxybutyrate (BHB), is an isomer of the notorious drug of abuse, GHB (gamma-hydroxybutyrate). GHB is also of interest in relation to its potential as a treatment for alcohol and opiate dependence and narcolepsy-associated cataplexy. Here I hypothesize that, the mild euphoria often noted with fasting or low-carbohydrate diets may be due to shared actions of BHB and GHB on the brain. Specifically, I propose that BHB, like GHB, induces mild euphoria by being a weak partial agonist for GABA(B) receptors. I outline several approaches that would test the hypothesis, including receptor binding studies in cultured cells, perception studies in trained rodents, and psychometric testing and functional magnetic resonance imaging in humans. These and other studies investigating whether BHB and GHB share common effects on brain chemistry and mood are timely and warranted, especially when considering their structural similarities and the popularity of ketogenic diets and GHB as a drug of abuse.
PMID: 17011713

xEva actually posted about this back in 2014.

Has anyone tried the BHB supplements and noticed GABA agonism or euphoria? Is that why they these supplements are so popular?

#2 mbdrinker

• 135 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 November 2022 - 07:29 PM

I support topic starter

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bhb, ghb, beta-hydroxybutyrate, gamma-hydroxybutyrate, gaba

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users