* * - - - 4 votes

Does lithium count as a sedative?

tired

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 02:24 AM

I took a small amount of a 5mg serving of lithium I rotate and was sleepy for the rest of afternoon.

Edited by ironfistx, 05 June 2019 - 02:26 AM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 2
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

#2 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 06:44 PM

Then I took approximately 1mg last night before bed and essentially was getting near freaking out considering I felt like darn why am I so tired. I don't think I could take 5mg without having an anxiety attack.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 08:09 PM

I took up to 5 mg a day usually in the morning. But in average I've got 2.4 mg per day for the last 10 years. Didn't felt a thing. Though I could observe whole blood lithium increasing during this time period:

2012: 0.05

2015: 0.06 ^

2018: 0.11 ^

'Normal' range for whole blood lithium is 0.01-0.05 mg/L. I heard from others that they found it extremely difficult to raise blood levels of lithium with supplemental doses. As always, each of us has a different bio-chemical individuality, and different doses at different times will affect different individuals differently.

Edited by pamojja, 05 June 2019 - 08:13 PM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#4 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 03:19 AM

Guys I took nearly 5mg recently and feel nothing or maybe it's just in my system.

#5 GABAergic

• 349 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:10 AM

I took up to 5 mg a day usually in the morning. But in average I've got 2.4 mg per day for the last 10 years. Didn't felt a thing. Though I could observe whole blood lithium increasing during this time period:

2012: 0.05

2015: 0.06 ^

2018: 0.11 ^

'Normal' range for whole blood lithium is 0.01-0.05 mg/L. I heard from others that they found it extremely difficult to raise blood levels of lithium with supplemental doses. As always, each of us has a different bio-chemical individuality, and different doses at different times will affect different individuals differently.

im one of those who was using supplement LI orotate. 5mg up to 20mg a day at times until i finished the bottle did blood work and LI was not even detected.

now, in your case you said you were using very small amounts like 2.4mg but you did so for 10 years! and seeing your results, it seems it took a very very long time to have good level of LI in your system. now, if i have to do the same and take just 5mg daily, i have to do it for 10 years and thats too long time to bother with this. especially when it comes to keep buying tons of supps to continue this so long. so why not just get rx LI? seems best bet to me. and also what do you expect to feel from LI anyway? are you depressed, anxious? probably helps you with this

• Informative x 1

#6 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:22 AM

so why not just get rx LI? seems best bet to me. and also what do you expect to feel from LI anyway? are you depressed, anxious? probably helps you with this

I try to emulate an ancient diet, in that it contained up to 200 different foods per year, with each up to 100 different phyto-chemicals each, most of which are not even identified yet. Also containing lithium. Most the lithium consumed the last 10 years came from a natural mineral water containing 3mg per liter. Lithium may be a co-factor for vitamin B12.

I've never been depressed, though getting a PAD 10 years ago causing a 60% walking-disability would have been enough reason for it. Instead my comprehensive approach to supplementation and a varied clean diet paid fully off, and the walking disability has been completely revoked in the 6th year. So nothing further to expect from lithium from my side, other than its supporting health further on. As most other nutrients do synergistically.

On the other hand, with prescription lithium it is easy to overdose and reap bad side-effects.

https://selfhacked.c...its-of-lithium/

Edited by pamojja, 20 June 2019 - 10:24 AM.

#7 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 02:50 AM

When I made this thread I arrived home and took 1 lithium and fell asleep, then went to bed later and fell asleep.

Lithium is a sedative.

Edited by ironfistx, 26 August 2019 - 02:55 AM.

#8 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 02:53 AM

When I made this thread I arrived home and took 1 lithium and fell asleep, then went to bed later and fell aleep.

Lithium is a sedative.

Edited by ironfistx, 26 August 2019 - 02:56 AM.

#9 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 03:01 AM

It seems to numb emotions too. If you're normally curious about stuff, you'll be less so. I mean you could go study stuff, but you just don't care.

You know you should be thinking about stuff but it's easier not to think about it.

A nap sounds good.
  • dislike x 1
  • Agree x 1

#10 DaveX

• 84 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 02:00 AM

Everyone knows lithium is a kind of sedative, even many people who otherwise know nothing about supplements, or nootropics in particular, have heard the name and have some associations with it. And yes it blunts emotions after a while (I can confirm, and there is a study about it). It happens to be well-researched and one can easily find info about it.

Edited by DaveX, 31 August 2019 - 02:13 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 sedentary

• 155 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:59 PM

is blunting of emotions reversible? i read a lot about it. its strange lithium helps with suicidal ideations considering it can blunt emotions and that might make some angry and suicidal even. its strange. perhaps it blunts anger just enough not to act on any impulses too so it seems to have logical anti suicidal action. anyway, ive tried the 5mg doses from orotate, nothing at all for a month or so. my doctor said you would need like 200mg or so to get it going. i wonder how many side effects that can cause though. sounds dangerous...

i would appreciate any more reports on using lithium, thanks!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tired

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users