Photo

Supplements to avoid prior to dental local

dentist crown painful tooth supplements vitamin c

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 03:50 PM

My dentist wants me to stop all supplements 4 days before being fitted for a crown.
I found some vague info on vitamin c on this but really nothing else. Any ideas what the concern here is? I haven't had a cavity in more than 30yrs now, but a painful tooth has a crack. I'm sceptical even of this since nothing shows on xrays, but the guy comes highly reccomended and did various bite tests to isolate the tooth. Biting down directly on that tooth causes the pain. Oil pulling lessened it somewhat.

Before being contacted about this I was planning the opposite tactic of loading up vitamin c at least.

#2 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:23 PM

Don't misunderstand my experience as medical advise. But 2 years ago I got my only root-canal extracted, I remained on my monster-stack, but avoided any pharmaceutical blood thinners like aspirin. Was only a bid unsure what to take instead of the antibiotic precautionary prescribed for 10 days. The extraction was a sweat-driving experience (as canine-tooth very deeply rooted). But finally I settled on DMSO mouthwash only, and was really surprised any pain already gone the second day.

#3 YOLF

Posted 17 June 2019 - 06:24 AM

The oral/sublingual mucosa and perhaps other tissues in the mouth are used for drug and supplement delivery because they are very permeable. I've noticed certain supplements that have the capacity to chelate metals can affect teeth sensitivity, at least temporarily and often affect permeability. Many others can affect calcium and phosphorous metabolism Perhaps most supplements change the pH in our mouths to some extent and he's looking to avoid any potential interactions with the setting composite material? Perhaps things that prevent or reduce various types of inflammation will prevent him from properly diagnosing some kind of inflammatory gum disease or seeing the extent to which something requires repair?

The more problem he sees, the more advice he can give you?

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 adamh

• 1,013 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 11:22 PM

The crown is made in a lab and is glued in. I have never heard anything like that about supplements and I've gotten quite a few crowns from several dentists. I would ignore the advice and take your normal supplements, I always did and no bad results. About the only thing that hurts is the pain killing injections, lol. They do have to grind the tooth down and take an impression. No biggie, got it done last month on 3 of them

#5 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 November 2021 - 09:31 PM

I wash my mouth with hot water with vitamin c powder, brush once a day but not scrape off tongue as I feel that if you have to continually do that to keep it clean or teeth brushing twice then you have a deep underlying health issue that needa to be fixed first and not the symptomps. Your body should naturally be able to keep them clean. As with skin to some extent of course. I breath trough nose instead of mouth . oral hygiene. And I squirt copper on teeth. I use low flouride toothpaste. and I keep my mouth salivated so it cleans itself and swallow.

Edited by kurdishfella, 25 November 2021 - 09:38 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users