• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Niagen as snake oil (maybe)? Two lawsuits say Chromadex clinical trial shows Tru Niagen has no effect on NAD. Who wants

niagen

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 Methuselahbones

• 18 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 June 2019 - 03:30 PM

Folks at r/longevity suggested that the crowd here would have the chops to dig into this and the interest.I am a sometime Niagen user and pissed off if this is true (begging the question of whether it is). I have not seen this discussed anywhere here yet but sorry if it was and I missed it (and please point me there if it was. Many Redditors want to know)

Repost: the showdown between Chromadex and Elysium for control over NAD and living forever just took a weird turn. Elsyium apparently just sued Chromadex for false advertising that Tru Niagen raises NAD levels and says that Chromadex's clinical trial actually says Tru Niagen has no effect on NAD levels. I would dismiss it as more Chromadex/Elysium drama but turns out that another company sued Chromadex for the same thing a few months ago.

Main points from the legal document are that there is only one paper that tested Niagen NR at 300 mg (AKA Tru Niagen) and that if you analyze the data used for the paper there is no increase in NAD at 300 mg, only at 1000 mg. There is some unsavory stuff about Chromadex forcing the paper authors to hide it by pooling the data/information together (?) and mentioning NAD metabolism raising to make people think that NAD itself was raised.

It's bullshit if true. Paying 3x the price to get NAD up? Nah bro. Fisetin. But that begs the question of whether it is true. It's pretty detailed (and there is the second lawsuit saying the same thing) but on the other hand it could be one of those "reasonable minds could differ" things. Anyone who knows their way around a p-value want to do us all a solid and check out the data??

Legal doc: docs.wixstatic dot com ugd/7fb8ed_c222b490689d41f586ddfab11c5bd5d6.pdf
Thanks to the blogger that posts the legal docs.
  • Enjoying the show x 2
  • Informative x 2
  • unsure x 1
  • like x 1

#2 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 04:07 PM

??

are you claiming fisetin boosts mitophagy or mito health somehow? 

#3 Methuselahbones

• Topic Starter
  • 18 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 June 2019 - 05:45 PM

??

are you claiming fisetin boosts mitophagy or mito health somehow?

Nah I meant that if using Niagen to raise NAD costs 3x as much as Chromadex says, I would rather invest in other longevity measures like senolytics.

#4 TMNMK

• 170 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 01:55 AM

FUD

• Needs references x 3
  • Cheerful x 1

#5 Methuselahbones

• Topic Starter
  • 18 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 June 2019 - 02:20 AM

It could be but that is two different competitors saying the same thing and what I am wondering/hoping someone here has the ability to tell whether this is true. Assuming I am reading the legal doc right the data is there.

I had to look up FUD. Assume you did not mean the Urban Dictionary definition lol. It says "Although "fud" is widely accepted in Scotland as being a slang term for the female reproductive organs"

#6 johnross47

• 747 posts
  • Location:table 42 in the restaurant at the end of the universe

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:40 PM

It could be but that is two different competitors saying the same thing and what I am wondering/hoping someone here has the ability to tell whether this is true. Assuming I am reading the legal doc right the data is there.

I had to look up FUD. Assume you did not mean the Urban Dictionary definition lol. It says "Although "fud" is widely accepted in Scotland as being a slang term for the female reproductive organs"

Mainly used at playground level and only by the lowest of lowlife after that.

#7 Methuselahbones

• Topic Starter
  • 18 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 June 2019 - 10:08 PM

Sorry to any Scots reading then! I assume the guy above meant the marketing definition...

#8 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:03 PM

Folks at r/longevity suggested that the crowd here would have the chops to dig into this and the interest.I am a sometime Niagen user and pissed off if this is true (begging the question of whether it is). I have not seen this discussed anywhere here yet but sorry if it was and I missed it (and please point me there if it was. Many Redditors want to know)

Repost: the showdown between Chromadex and Elysium for control over NAD and living forever just took a weird turn. Elsyium apparently just sued Chromadex for false advertising that Tru Niagen raises NAD levels and says that Chromadex's clinical trial actually says Tru Niagen has no effect on NAD levels. I would dismiss it as more Chromadex/Elysium drama but turns out that another company sued Chromadex for the same thing a few months ago.

Main points from the legal document are that there is only one paper that tested Niagen NR at 300 mg (AKA Tru Niagen) and that if you analyze the data used for the paper there is no increase in NAD at 300 mg, only at 1000 mg. There is some unsavory stuff about Chromadex forcing the paper authors to hide it by pooling the data/information together (?) and mentioning NAD metabolism raising to make people think that NAD itself was raised.

It's bullshit if true. Paying 3x the price to get NAD up? Nah bro. Fisetin. But that begs the question of whether it is true. It's pretty detailed (and there is the second lawsuit saying the same thing) but on the other hand it could be one of those "reasonable minds could differ" things. Anyone who knows their way around a p-value want to do us all a solid and check out the data??

Legal doc: docs.wixstatic dot com ugd/7fb8ed_c222b490689d41f586ddfab11c5bd5d6.pdf
Thanks to the blogger that posts the legal docs.

This is not true. ChromaDex’s latest clinical trial was recently published on scientific report. It shows 100mg, 300mg, 1,000mg all increased NAD+ with statistical significance.
  • Good Point x 1

#9 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:05 PM

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC6611812/

22%, 51%, 142%
  • Informative x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: niagen

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users