* * * - - 1 votes

Alpha-GPC Cytotoxic in Rat Myocytes

a-gpc alpha-gpc

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 15 July 2019 - 04:34 AM

Mol Cell Biochem. 2019 Jul 6. Mol Cell Biochem. 2019 Jul 6.

L-Alpha-glycerylphosphorylcholine can be cytoprotective or cytotoxic in neonatal rat cardiac myocytes: a double-edged sword phenomenon.

L-Alpha-glycerylphosphorylcholine (GPC) is a widely used food supplement. GPC has been shown to exert beneficial effects in several organs; however, the cardiac effects of GPC have yet to be investigated. The aim of the present study was therefore to map out the effects of GPC on cardiac myocytes, with or without ischemia-reperfusion insult. Neonatal rat cardiac myocytes were treated with GPC at 1, 10, 80, and 100 µM concentrations for 15 min, 3 h, or 24 h, respectively. Cell viability by calcein assay and the degree of oxidative stress by DHE (superoxide level) and H2DCF (total ROS accumulation) staining were measured. In separate experiments, cardiomyocytes were pre-treated with the optimal concentration of GPC for 3 h and then cells were exposed to 4 h of simulated ischemia followed by 2 h of reperfusion (SI/R). Cell viability was measured at the end of the SI/R protocol. In normoxic conditions, the 15-min and the 3-h GPC treatment did not affect cell viability, total ROS, and superoxide levels. Under SI/R conditions, the 3-h GPC treatment protected the cardiac myocytes from SI/R-induced cell death and did not alter the level of oxidative stress. The 24-h GPC treatment in normoxic conditions resulted in significant cell death and increased oxidative stress at each concentration. Here we provide the first evidence for the cytoprotective effect of short-term GPC treatment. However, long-term administration of GPC may exert cytotoxicity in a wide concentration range in cardiac myocytes. These results may draw attention to a comprehensive cardiac safety protocol for the testing of GPC.
PMID: 31280435

I was disappointed to see this since I had switched to a-GPC from Citicoline (CDP-Choline) after finding Uridine might do some bad things.

• Informative x 1

#2 prunk

• 227 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 12:35 PM

Well this sucks, I just love A-GPC

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 BasicBiO

• 159 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 August 2019 - 01:17 AM

Keep in mind this is a test tube study done on this specific tissue line under ischemia-reperfusion insult for an entire 24 hours. I highly doubt your heart tissues would be exposed to a sustained concentration of GPC for 24 hours straight, under these conditions and you'd probably be dead from the ischemia, not the supplement.

I believe CoQ-10 has this same tendency, but I hedge my bets and take it anyway.

https://en.wikipedia...erfusion_injury

#4 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 16 June 2023 - 02:09 PM

Couldn't the cardiac risk be offset by just doing various things that are good for your heart?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 16 June 2023 - 06:08 PM

Couldn't you just not supplement huge doses of choline and instead potentiate dietary sources with AChE inhibitors?

In my experience this approach results in the greatest clarity and the lowest incidence of brain fog or low mood.

In healthy volunteers, a much lower dose of AChE inhibitor may be needed than what is commonly recommended. (Especially with potent ones like huperzine).

But weak AChE inhibition is pretty common in supplements. Google your favorite ones, chances are some will have a link.

Inhibition of acetylcholinesterase by green and white tea and their simulated intestinal metabolites
https://pubmed.ncbi....h.gov/22418730/

Significance of Astragaloside IV from the Roots of Astragalus mongholicus as an Acetylcholinesterase Inhibitor—From the Computational and Biomimetic Analyses to the In Vitro and In Vivo Studies of Safety
https://www.ncbi.nlm...es/PMC10252989/

• Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: a-gpc, alpha-gpc

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users