• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Steel BB rusted in me for 10+ years. Just got it removed, what do I need to worry about?

heavy metal poison poisoning steel rusting rust foreign body 10 years metals steel bb

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Oinen

• Registrant
  • 23 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 July 2019 - 03:54 AM

As the title says; I just got it removed, but it has caused some pretty bad symptoms. Many ER trips recently, although the base symptoms have been on and off for those 10 years. It was just during the last 6 months that things started getting WAY worse. Full body rash (now has localized around where the BB was after the first week of the rash), appendix had to get removed too which I suspect is linked because I didn't have the classical symptoms of appendicitis such as nausea and vomiting; just the pain. It confused the doctor too after they finally confirmed it with a CT scan.

Some are a little alleviated now, but is the anything else I should look into from now on? It's REALLY hard finding information on such a situation and I have no idea why. I guess it really could be that rare.... I also had 9 amalgam fillings during the same time frame; I got those safely replaced last year. My doctor doesn't seem concerned. I don't know if he just isn't knowledgeable about such a rare situation or what; it's pretty discouraging though. Especially when I've spoken to so many doctors at this point who didn't even put 2+2 together... granted I didn't know the bb was steel until I had it removed, either. Didn't even consider the possibility.. which I guess is partly my fault too, but I didn't know it was in there until the recent CT scan. Had xrays done 10 years ago that didn't see it... so I trusted that it just bounced off the bone or something. I guess I put too much trust into doctors.

During the past 6 months though, that trust is mostly gone.

Doctors never even considered the possibility either (all knowing about the BB) even though they could find no other explanation for my symptoms. They just thought it was anxiety and panic attacks.

I know that the steel breaking down is poisonous, and now that I have it removed I want to get an MRI to get a better idea as to what it could've done.

Is there any information that you guys know of that could give me a starting point as to what tests I should look into, including/not including an MRI?

Thanks for your time reading this

Edited by Oinen, 24 July 2019 - 04:02 AM.

#2 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:12 AM

With most gunshot victims, seems standard to leave the bullet (if lodged) unless it's in a place that will cause harm. 

Regardless, the body will try to expel the BB, just like any other foreign object. 

Great that you found it... and removed the source of your problems. 

After the infection, it's up to your body's defenses to bring things back to equilibrium.

Good health practices will help... and there may be supplements as well. 

Interesting article: 

---

If You've Been Shot, It May Be Prudent to Have the Bullet Removed
New evidence says leaving bullets inside of gunshot victims could cause mental deterioration.

JAMES HAMBLIN
FEB 15, 2017

First-time gunshot victims tend to be surprised to learn that the bullet often doesn’t need to be removed. Assuming that bullet fragments aren’t lodged near something like a major vessel or plexus, the standard practice among surgeons has been to let things be.  Even Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson, who had speech-altering shrapnel lodged in his tongue, was advised by his doctors to leave it in, he said in 2013, because “it might do more damage to my nerves and taste buds.”

https://www.theatlan...en-shot/516480/

Edited by Bruce Klein, 25 July 2019 - 04:22 AM.

#3 Keizo

• 483 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 July 2019 - 12:43 PM

I can't comment on other types of steel but I did a NUSS (MIRPE) surgery and had 2 steel bars and a so forth inside my chest for a little over 3 years. Did they rust? Probably a bit, but not enough for the text on them to be unreadable after removal and rinsing (no rust when I got them, but the surgeon briefly insinuated mild corrosion as well as the obvious organic matter).

Here's a small study I haven't read fully but might give some insight on what type of levels we might be talking about and so on, now granted NUSS/MIRPE bars are probably of higher quality in terms of corrosion than steel bullets (just a guess). But they are also rather large, like 70-100 grams each (for me it probably was 250 gram total or so with all the steel wire and stuff).

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC5638555/

Anyway allergies are certainly often related to anxiety and rashes, so that might be a good thing long-term for you if we assume most of the stuff clears out over a reasonable amount of time and that what problems you had were due to basically irritation or peculiar type of allergy due to metal levels being elevated.

And yeah we don't live in Star Trek (even tho a lot of people sorta seem to think we do) and instead there's actually scarcity of research on most subjects, even age-old medicines like amphetamine or methamphetamine are far from fully understood, and doctors aren't enhanced beyond super-human ability by some AI implant and memory storage.

Edited by Keizo, 25 July 2019 - 12:56 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Oinen

• Topic Starter
  • Registrant
  • 23 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 July 2019 - 05:16 AM

Thanks for the information. The metal bb in me corroded quite a bit. The entire thing was black with some orange spots. Still mostly round, but you could see the corrosion on the silhouette of the edges. I think I might look into getting a skin biopsy by a dermatologist then to get a better idea about what metals are leftover in tissues.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: heavy metal poison, poisoning, steel, rusting, rust, foreign body, 10 years, metals, steel bb

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users