• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

How long did magnesium take to work for you?

magnesium

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 August 2019 - 08:09 PM

Deficient in any vitamin or mineral, how long does it take for it to work? I have been deficient in magnesium for years, does this mean it will take longer for it to have an effect on my body?

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#2 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 10:49 AM

Can only give my example. Had many very severe pain-full muscle-cramps from a deficiency. Therefore increased oral magnesium supplementation over the years to 2.4g elemental magnesium (1.6g ~for the last 10 years). The higher dose only alleviated the muscle cramps somewhat. The best Mg test (RBC, in serum is completely useless, since it is so tightly regulated by stealing from every other tissue) not available, I used whole blood testing. However, despite supplementing so much always close to the limit to diarhea, whole blood magnesium declined even further. Only since end of 2017 I found a GP who gave me almost monthly Mg-sulfate IVs. After the 6th IV the muscle-cramps ceased completely. After the 10 IV I retested and found to have risen in whole blood 3 mg/l from about 30 to 33, still 3 mg/l short of between normal of 34-36.

Therefore my example shows, that is some cases deficiencies are that severe that no oral can correct it anymore. But each of us is different.

• Informative x 2
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 August 2019 - 11:33 PM

Can only give my example. Had many very severe pain-full muscle-cramps from a deficiency. Therefore increased oral magnesium supplementation over the years to 2.4g elemental magnesium (1.6g ~for the last 10 years). The higher dose only alleviated the muscle cramps somewhat. The best Mg test (RBC, in serum is completely useless, since it is so tightly regulated by stealing from every other tissue) not available, I used whole blood testing. However, despite supplementing so much always close to the limit to diarhea, whole blood magnesium declined even further. Only since end of 2017 I found a GP who gave me almost monthly Mg-sulfate IVs. After the 6th IV the muscle-cramps ceased completely. After the 10 IV I retested and found to have risen in whole blood 3 mg/l from about 30 to 33, still 3 mg/l short of between normal of 34-36.

Therefore my example shows, that is some cases deficiencies are that severe that no oral can correct it anymore. But each of us is different.

I'm contemplating this.... How accurate are these blood tests? I wanna tests all my vitamin/mineral levels and see what I am deficient in then inject them. But I'm not sure what I should get checked...perhaps this list https://www.health.h...ing_of_vitamins

#4 adamh

• 1,013 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 12:30 AM

Try soaking in epsom salts (MgSo4), you will absorb mg transdermally that way. It also avoids the unpleasant gastro effects of taking it orally. If you aren't into long soaks they also make mg lotion designed to be absorbed through the skin. Has to be cheaper than going to the doc and getting iv's

#5 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 08:19 AM

I'm contemplating this.... How accurate are these blood tests? I wanna tests all my vitamin/mineral levels and see what I am deficient in then inject them. But I'm not sure what I should get checked...perhaps this list https://www.health.h...ing_of_vitamins

Getting everything IV? - that would rather be insane. All other minerals and vitamins in my case did respond to oral supplementation. Only with magnsium I had a run-away deficiency not responding. First go the oral route, if not responding add transdermal (for example Mg-chloride mixed in DSMO solution), additionally via nebulizer - and only if all together doesn't work after some time try to get it via IV.

Also testing most vitamins and minerals is not as straight forward - most tests are not accurate. For many vitamins secondary metabolites, like for example methylmalonicacid (MMA) for vitamin B12, have to be tested, at times repeatedly. Which easily can add up to be very costly. One test which covers most would be NutrEval. Which I myself never could afford repeatedly. Otherwise get a book like Micronutrients: Metabolic Tuning - Prevention - Therapy, which explains most relyable individual tests for most important nutrients.

Also the likelihood for deviciency is much more higher for some nutrients (see here), it would be more cost-effective to start supplementing right away, and test only after some time supplementing those most likely to be deficient (retinol and RBP, 25(OH)D3, ferritin, RBC magnesium, zinc and copper..).

Has to be cheaper than going to the doc and getting iv's

Transdermal is very time-consuming, and anyone less likely to be really as compliant as often neccesary. In my case was lucky that I found a GP charging the adminsitration to insurance, while I only had to pay the Mg-sulfate ampoules (€17,- for 5 IVs, available without prescribtion).

#6 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 06:35 PM

4 months.  elemental magnesium has an extremely long-half life in the body.

#7 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 August 2019 - 07:21 PM

4 months.  elemental magnesium has an extremely long-half life in the body.

Sure but if the magnesium absorption is low, the half life is almost pointless. What I mean is, I believe I have chronic low levels of Magnesium levels, if it wasn't for the long half life, I would probably be dead by now. Your body can absorb just enough to keep you alive but not healthy AT ALL.

correct me if i'm wrong but i think manganese is similar to magnesium so if you run low on magnesium your body can use the manganese instead ?

Edited by farshad, 18 August 2019 - 07:26 PM.

#8 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 August 2019 - 07:50 PM

farshad, how do you know that you are deficient? Seems not by testing which is fine, as it must be symptoms then?

If you have specific symptoms which you want to alleviate, please share what they are. Starting there, then you might want to test different methods, keeping in mind what pamojja has gone through. Alleviating the symptoms would be a goal for me. Like pamojja, very large doses spread out during the day, and night did not help my horrible nighttime leg cramps. Every type including things like homemade MG Bicarbonate, MG Ascorbate, and MG Acetate.

Sure but if the magnesium absorption is low, the half life is almost pointless. What I mean is, I believe I have chronic low levels of Magnesium levels, if it wasn't for the long half life, I would probably be dead by now. Your body can absorb just enough to keep you alive but not healthy AT ALL.

correct me if i'm wrong but i think manganese is similar to magnesium so if you run low on magnesium your body can use the manganese instead ?

I have nothing to do with these guys. The RBC and Serum Magnesium results might not be the best tests, but your symptoms will be. Read the study. If it seems good to you, try their product for 90 days. Not happy, and they unquestionably refunded the money :)  Symptoms come back, then start it again. :)  I still take some other MG. A benefit is that the original product contains some vitamins. As an aside, I believe the extended release vitamins enabled me to start N.R. again after a year of  feeling tired every time I tried to restart. I started with 5 magnesium tablets, went to 3, and settled on 4 per day. If you have severe symptoms, I would titrate your dose right away as tolerated.

https://www.jigsawhe...agnesium-study/

Edited by Heisok, 18 August 2019 - 07:56 PM.

#9 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 01:15 AM

If you've had little effect from glycine or threonate forms of magnesium, and you truly think your gut isn't absorbing.. try other methods, applying it to your skin, epsom salt baths, perhaps plugging it rectally.  Fiber and allium vegetables are known mineral uptake enhancers (particularly for Mg).  Short of that you can address the symptoms off at the cause, using other methods.

wrong.  so wrong.  but a nice idea.  Intake of magnesium fulfills some 300 basic needs in the body, 40-70 for which no substitute exists.

#10 Keizo

• 483 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 August 2019 - 05:27 PM

About 60 to 120 minutes after ingestion of 150-450mg Mg (elemental weight, bound to a bunch of glycine or sometimes citrate form) I can often times feel the effects; sometimes very noticeable relaxation, less muscle cramps in the morning, better sleep, etc. To varying degrees, however sometimes I don't feel it much, it's more noticeable when I've been mentally stressed or I've been lifting a lot of weight in the gym for long periods.

(I'm not deficient to any severe degree or at all as far as I know, I just take it for the relaxation effects, from time to time.)

#11 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 02:04 AM

sounds like it may be working only when you expect it to, or it just isn't working that reliably.  it is tricky business finding effective treatments.

i think the 1000 hr half-life is accurate for magnesium.  so magnesium does take about 50 days to start working (see the chart and math)

say the first day we have 100mg in the system.  then the next day we have ~199mg, and so on.  by the time we get to day 42 the 100mg from the first day is still at 50mg.

it's also interesting then that if you occasionally miss doses, it doesn't hurt you here and now

Attached Files

#12 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 September 2019 - 07:10 AM

Wow, what a horrible experience. I went to the doctor, I told her my issue that I had a lot of stress over the years which ended in me feeling sick and not being able to absorb any vitamins/minerals when I  eat etc.

She looked at me like I was stupid, like I was the dumb one... She said unless you're old you don't have a magnesium deficiency , your skin looks healthy to me you look healthy to me, we only take tests for old people that can't get up. then she said there are no tests for magnesium...  She was a muslim and wearing a hijab (im from middle east myself but not religious) ,  she asked me were I was from, and of course she brought up religion / god into the conversation, she said ''god has made sure that we are well equipped with with vitamins/minerals from food''. She looked like she didn't even give a shit about me and was waiting for me to just leave as soon as possible, I know you deal with this everyday as a doctor but damn... give me a chance.. I have never felt so uncared for , now I remember why I don't go to the doctors and order drugs online... she sad everything online is bullshit, like she knows it all, what is it with doctors and being a ego-know it all maniac? this makes me sad, is this how my parents were treated when they went to the doctors? I honestly just wanna cry, I felt no humanity in there. So hopeless. I still had my blood taken, to check for b12 levels, she said if you're deficient in magnesium your body uses b12... I have never seen so much ignorance and greed come from a person it makes me sick.. I paid money just to get shitted on. i feel so humiliated , so down on humanity after this. After I said the first few word it looked like she already had made her decision  like ''here we go again another case''... like she was 100% sure of what she was saying and doing.. like it was coded into her / brainwashed etc. It felt like she just wanted to control me.

The rudnesss, like she was superior over me I felt it all over that place... This one experience, has honestly changed how I view the world, for the better, I wanna help change it now.... Seeing how F#cked up it is and people...

Edited by farshad, 06 September 2019 - 08:09 AM.

#13 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:14 AM

such lack of empathy, so disgusting.What's with people in these positions and being crazy? Please, someone sane and logical reply or I am gonna go crazy............. i cant stop thinking about it im completely perplexed , she just wanted me to hurry up and go be done with it..

Edited by farshad, 06 September 2019 - 08:55 AM.

#14 GreenmachineX

• 77 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 10:59 AM

Any update here? How’s all that going?

#15 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 08:21 AM

In the past, I've struggled with insomnia, but now I sleep better than ever thanks to this pre-bedtime stack...
For some time I've been using Magnesium Taurate and Magnesium Glycinate. There's not much difference as far as I can tell between the two. Both are potent enablers of awesome sleep. But my preference is the powdered Magnesium blend, for economic reasons, it's only £.15 per daily serving. That's what I call an affordable biohack!

1*A3QwxQsV4dqNWMXUmuupeA.gif

Watch: My secret weapon for AMAZING sleep... [Biohacker Review of Magnesium]

#16 Jose White

• 3 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 September 2021 - 01:52 PM

Any new information?

#17 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 30 September 2021 - 08:47 PM

Any form of magnesium gives me the runs.  Maybe this is because i get >100% RDA from my diet (according to cron-o-meter)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#18 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 December 2021 - 03:48 PM

The more of a vitamin your body holds the longer it takes to correct deficiency and overall worse effect it has on the body. Vitamin C the most stored in the body then magnesium then b12 after the electrolytes of course like sodium, calcium etc.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: magnesium

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users