hydrogen enriched water

hydrogen

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 2ball

• 7 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 August 2019 - 02:16 AM

I've read and been following this https://www.longecit...ative-to-mk677/ thread for a while.

I have crafted my process after the information in that thread.

I put a 99.995 magnesium rod in a test tube. the rod is approx 2.25 inches long. 

I put Vermont village Ginger and Honey Apple Cider Vinegar in the test tube and cork it. 

the test tube is dropped in a 16 oz coke bottle and capped.

the idea is the acid reacts with the magnesium and produces hydrogen bubbles.

After 30 minutes the reaction slows and I shake, open and drink the hydrogen infused water.

I'm a little worried something else is happening because sometimes the hydrogen water makes me feel a little high. 

I switched to Vinegar after malic acid was giving me stomach issues. The Vermont village Ginger and Honey Apple Cider Vinegar is made for drinking.

The vinegar creates a bigger reaction then the malic acid.  My magnesium is clearly getting smaller. 

I plan on getting a test kit to see what my hydrogen level is.

Questions

Is there anything else made by this reaction? 

Is there any reason not to drink the leftover vinegar in the test tube.

Edited by 2ball, 30 August 2019 - 02:17 AM.

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,039 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 06:27 PM

I think there are some commercial producers of hydrogen enriched water. Maybe ask the person who runs this thread.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 2ball

• Topic Starter
  • 7 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 August 2019 - 07:14 PM

Thanks, I have seen that page and for the most part I am trying to replicate his results in a DIY method. 

His product will cost you $4 a day if you used it 4 times.

The process I am using which was developed on this web site only cost about 40 cents a day and produces therapeutic levels of hydrogen. 

Once I get my test kit I will be able to verify and tweak my hydrogen levels.

I'm hoping there is someone from the old thread that has continued with the process or that may have tweaked it even more or a science guy who can tell me if there is a byproduct from my reaction that may be making me feel a little woosey/high/calm.

Edited by 2ball, 30 August 2019 - 07:14 PM.

#4 orion22

• 186 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 August 2019 - 06:26 AM

it had been discussed on this forum and they said the magnesium roads are not 100% pure contain traces of other stuff

#5 Hip

• 2,387 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 01:45 AM

The process I am using which was developed on this web site only cost about 40 cents a day and produces therapeutic levels of hydrogen. 

If you are talking about the "test tube within a bottle" method of hydrogen rich water production that I devised on the thread you mentioned, a summary of this method of production can be found in this post.

The very short video in that post explains the method faster than any words. (The only fault with that video is that the bottle should be filled to the top with water; in the video the bottle is not quite filled to the top). 

The cost of making a 1 or 2 liter bottle of 5 ppm hydrogen rich water using my method is very low, less than 5 cents. 

If the reagents you use (magnesium rod plus vinegar) are confined to within the test tube, none of these should leak out into the pure water of the main bottle, so you should not get any contamination. Although like you I use very pure magnesium, so even if some of the reactants do escape from the test tube into the water, it's nothing to worry about, as not only are they non-toxic, they are also beneficial (magnesium is an essential mineral).

Edited by Hip, 01 September 2019 - 01:53 AM.

• Informative x 3
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#6 2ball

• Topic Starter
  • 7 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 September 2019 - 01:11 AM

Hip,

yes that is what I am doing.  my cost is a little higher due to the vinegar I am using. 

Can you post a link to the exact test tube and top that you are using?

right now I'm using a glass test tube and a cork.  I can always taste the acid when I drink the water.

#7 Hip

• 2,387 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 03:58 AM

Can you post a link to the exact test tube and top that you are using?

The "test tube" I am using was actually just a plastic container from a product I bought (coincidentally enough, a hydrogen water stick bought on eBay). But I broke this plastic container, so no longer can use it.

I now have changed my method, and use magnesium pellets rather than magnesium rods, which has the advantage of reacting faster due to higher surface area, and the advantage that the pellets also work with narrower test tubes (whereas with a rod, you have to find a test tube which is wide enough to fit the magnesium rod, but narrow enough to pass through the plastic bottle top).

I use a magnesium pellet powder which with a particle size around 1 mm (you can often find such magnesium pellets on eBay). I mix around 500 mg of these magnesium pellets with 3 grams of citric acid powder (citric acid powder is cheap on eBay or Amazon, less that $10 for a Kg). Then I place this powder mixture in a dry test tube. I fill the test tube about half full with water, and as the reaction starts, I cap the tube, but with lots of pin holes in the plastic cap for the gas the escape (don't shake the test tube, or else the reaction will go too fast).

You then just drop the test tube into your plastic soda bottle which is pre-filled full with water, and then screw the bottle cap on tightly.

If you use a magnesium power which is a lot finer than 1 mm, then the reaction goes too rapidly and uncontrollably, and it gets too hot. In fact I burnt my fingers slightly from the hot steam escaping from the test tube when I mixed citric acid with a magnesium powder that was 200 mesh (= 0.07 mm particle size). You want a courser magnesium powder around 18 mesh (which is 1 mm particle size).

right now I'm using a glass test tube and a cork.  I can always taste the acid when I drink the water.

You may be filling the test tube with too much water. Leave some air space at the top of the test tube. 

Edited by Hip, 03 September 2019 - 04:24 AM.

• Informative x 3

#8 2ball

• Topic Starter
  • 7 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 September 2019 - 01:33 AM

Are you shaking the bottle just before you open it?

Did you ever get a test kit and confirm you PPM?

How long do you let it brew?

Do you cool it while brewing?

#9 Hip

• 2,387 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 10:34 PM

1. Are you shaking the bottle just before you open it?

2. Did you ever get a test kit and confirm you PPM?

3. How long do you let it brew?

4. Do you cool it while brewing?

(1) It's best to vigorously shake the bottle for 30 seconds, and then let it rest for 10 or 20 minutes, otherwise like a bottle of Coca Cola, it will fizz a lot on opening, and then you lose some of your hydrogen gas. 

(2) I did better than that: I devised my own method to directly measure the amount of hydrogen gas dissolved in the water, which I suspect is a more accurate way of measuring ppm. Using this method, I found that I was getting 5 ppm H2 concentrations in my hydrogen rich water, when using 3 grams of citric acid and some magnesium. 3 grams of citric acid will produce an internal pressure in a 1 liter plastic soda bottle of around 6 or 7 atmospheres. You can get a higher ppm if you increase the amount of citric acid, which in turn will increase the pressure. But note that these soda plastic bottles will burst at around 12 atmospheres, so you do not really want to go much higher than 7 atmospheres.

If you want to measure the ppm using my method, that method is described in this post. The image in that post has been lost, but the image was of a plastic hypodermic syringe (60 ml capacity recommended) glued onto a small hole in the bottle top, or attached to the hole in the bottle top by a short length of plastic tubing, so that gas can pass from the bottle into the syringe. It is very cheap and quite easy to make this ppm measuring device (a 60 ml hypodermic syringe only costs about $3).

So once your bottle is fully brewed and you have shaken it vigorously, and waited 20 minutes, you then open the bottle, and screw on this bottle top with the hypodermic syringe attached. Then you let the bottle stand for 8 hours or so, during which time the H2 gas will escape from the water and collect in the hypodermic syringe. So after 8 hours, you look at how many ml of H2 gas you have collected in your syringe.

Then your ppm is simply given by this formula:

H2 Concentration in ppm =  V / (12 x B)  + 1.57

Where:

B = volume of the bottle of hydrogen rich water in liters

V = volume of the H2 gas collected in the syringe in ml

(3) Just until the H2 bubbles from the test tube stop, which is usually after around 45 minutes with a magnesium rod, but is faster if I use magnesium pellets, as with pellets the whole reaction is faster.

(4) No. 

Edited by Hip, 04 September 2019 - 10:53 PM.

#10 2ball

• Topic Starter
  • 7 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 September 2019 - 11:21 PM

Hip, Thanks for the info.

I'm having trouble finding the 1 mm magnesium power, but I see some that's particle 5 mesh. (thats 4 to 5 mm?)

The Test tube and cork are giving me nothing but trouble.  I'm going to switch to a 16mm by 150mm test tube with a screw on plastic top and put pin holes in it.

Are you trusting the Hong Kong sourced MG?  or is there a US source?

you estimated you are using 500mg of MG.  That's a lot less then I would think.  that's only about a CM up from the bottom of the test tube?

#11 orion22

• 186 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 September 2019 - 07:38 AM

i don t understand how this works i saw the videos and i see clearly big bubbles if the hydrogen coming true the hole is united into  big bubbles how is it mixing with the water  if you have the rod in water is another thing you don t converge the hydrogen into 1 place 

did anybody use a valid test kit on this method?

i mean its same thing as pumping hydrogen gas true a small hole into a bottle how is is diffren t from the hydrogen water machine 

Edited by orion22, 22 September 2019 - 07:42 AM.

#12 2ball

• Topic Starter
  • 7 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 October 2019 - 12:26 AM

I don't really understand how it works either.  I assume every bubble coming off the MG is hydrogen.   Is the Hydrogen just floating around in the water (bubbles) or is it more then that?

My water is very cloudy with very small bubbles after I shake it.

I realized my issue with the cork coming off is due to pressure.  Pressure inside the bottle will rise to a level that it will make a soft cork compress until it comes out of the test tube.

Even though the pressure can compress a soft cork, I don't think it is anywhere near high enough to burst a plastic 16oz coke bottle.  I may try using glass.

I am still looking to get a test kit to see if I am getting any hydrogen PPM.

Also 

I switched to using lemon juice and Pretty consistently when I pour the water into a glass there is a slight rotten egg smell on top of the water.  I can blow on it and the smell goes away.  Does anyone know what that could be?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#13 orion22

• 186 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 October 2019 - 01:55 PM

I don't really understand how it works either.  I assume every bubble coming off the MG is hydrogen.   Is the Hydrogen just floating around in the water (bubbles) or is it more then that?

My water is very cloudy with very small bubbles after I shake it.

I realized my issue with the cork coming off is due to pressure.  Pressure inside the bottle will rise to a level that it will make a soft cork compress until it comes out of the test tube.

Even though the pressure can compress a soft cork, I don't think it is anywhere near high enough to burst a plastic 16oz coke bottle.  I may try using glass.

I am still looking to get a test kit to see if I am getting any hydrogen PPM.

Also 

I switched to using lemon juice and Pretty consistently when I pour the water into a glass there is a slight rotten egg smell on top of the water.  I can blow on it and the smell goes away.  Does anyone know what that could be?

use steal mate glass breaks at 3 atm 

it has to be molecules of h2 disolved into water the bubbels you see with the eye are just gas 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hydrogen

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users