• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Can you only Calorie Restriction for so long?

calorie restriction

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 shifter

• 716 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 12:30 AM

Calorie restriction is supposed to be healthy and I would agree to a point it is. I would have tens of thousands of calories sitting unused as fat in my body (only a tad overweight right now).

But if I were to eat 1500 calories a day and on average burn 2500 calories a day, at some point I would have run out of reserve to burn and at that point wouldn't it be better to match match my intake and expenditure instead of further restrictions

I can see it work as part of a healthy diet, but I cant see it work as a complete lifestyle - unless I am missing something about it. Does my BMR reduce to compensate (slower metabolism, longer life?) This in turn would mean that should I resume eating 'normally' again, the weight gain would be much easier.

I'm sure there would have been experiments done (on mice or other animals) with this - a whole life of eating less calories than you expend. Would like to check it out

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,042 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 04:09 PM

Some people in this community and elsewhere have been CR (or CRON) for many years, maybe even decades. Most of them are "knowledge" workers, so calorie requirements are not that high. I suspect that their lower calorie burn is what allows them to maintain the CR diet for a long time.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: calorie restriction

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users