Wellbutrin causing physical pain?

wellubtrin bupropion pain muscle

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Clavius

• 59 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 September 2019 - 11:02 AM

I started Wellbutrin 300XR back in January this year to alleviate some of my ADHD-PI symptoms. Quickly after that I developed a ringing in my ears/head. I was able to ignore the ringing so I continued. In July I developed a back ache. All the muscles in my back aching. Then the muscles in my forearms followed. After that my upper arms. Back then I didn't make the connection to the Wellbutrin yet.

I had to quit Wellbutrin at the beginning of September because the ringing suddenly got much worse. It made me go insane. After eight months of use I developed tinnitus. Besides that, the pain in my joints and muscles because unbearable and I felt really weak. Besides that, I didn't seem to have any positive effect from the drug. So me and my psychiatrist decided to stop it.

The ringing has subsided! I'm very happy about that. Because I read (and panicked) that it doesn't go away for some people that got it from Wellbutrin.

Now I'm still waiting for the muscle weakness and joint pain to go away. Does anybody have any good news for me? What's the timeline? Can I do anything to speed it up?

I asked this question to my GP, but he's clueless and gave me some general story about over-training. When I assured him that over-training was not the case he almost implied that it's my own fault for trying this kind of drugs! And my psychiatrist is unsure about the Wellbutrin causing all my muscles to ache. Google seems to confirm my experience though.

#2 MichaelFocus22

• 331 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 September 2019 - 12:06 AM

1. Generally, speaking a doctor that just gives you medication without any regard or understanding of it's effects are called pill-monkeys. They are fairly useless and I would find a new psychiatrist who actually cares about your well-being than simply a person who writes prescriptions like candy. Remember that Wellbutrin is a reupitake inhibitor for norephedrine   and it builds up gradually over time similar to Straterra. These drugs, have been known to cause all sorts of horrible side-effects, as the SNRI builds up in your brain, you can typically expect to suffer from erectile dsyfunction, pain of the body, anxiety, headaches, blunting of emotions and many other unintended consequences.  Generally, a nootropic really isn't gonna do too much for you. The side effect duration will be directly porportional to the amount of the duration that you took the medication especially for SNRI's as they build up for months, it can take about 3 weeks for all side-effects to go away. Specifically, the norephedrine builds up and causes anxiety which is why most stimulants causes jitters it's responsible for mostly planning and impulse control. So Just exercize, eat good food, get good quality sleep and a good dose of vitamin C should be sufficient.  This is ancedotal, but just remember that google censors roughly 80% of information now, so don't trust it.. Use alternative search engines whenever possible. ADD-PI is extraordinarily hard disorder to treat. I'm curious did wellbutrin work for you?

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 Meggo

• 93 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 05:13 AM

Don't forget that Wellbutrin lowers seizure treshold. You could have some form of epilepsy. 

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • like x 1

#4 Clavius

• Topic Starter
  • 59 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 September 2019 - 05:50 AM

1. Generally, speaking a doctor that just gives you medication without any regard or understanding of it's effects are called pill-monkeys. They are fairly useless and I would find a new psychiatrist who actually cares about your well-being than simply a person who writes prescriptions like candy. Remember that Wellbutrin is a reupitake inhibitor for norephedrine   and it builds up gradually over time similar to Straterra. These drugs, have been known to cause all sorts of horrible side-effects, as the SNRI builds up in your brain, you can typically expect to suffer from erectile dsyfunction, pain of the body, anxiety, headaches, blunting of emotions and many other unintended consequences.  Generally, a nootropic really isn't gonna do too much for you. The side effect duration will be directly porportional to the amount of the duration that you took the medication especially for SNRI's as they build up for months, it can take about 3 weeks for all side-effects to go away. Specifically, the norephedrine builds up and causes anxiety which is why most stimulants causes jitters it's responsible for mostly planning and impulse control. So Just exercize, eat good food, get good quality sleep and a good dose of vitamin C should be sufficient.  This is ancedotal, but just remember that google censors roughly 80% of information now, so don't trust it.. Use alternative search engines whenever possible. ADD-PI is extraordinarily hard disorder to treat. I'm curious did wellbutrin work for you?

Many thanks! This is the sort of information I would have expected from my doctor. I am looking for a different one, but that takes a lot of time and effort. Until then I need to help this pill monkey help me.

The Wellbutrin didn't no anything at all to relieve me from my lack of focus/concentration and motivation. It did make me care much less about those problems. Which not what I wanted to achieve off course. This was given to me because back then I didn't have an official ADD diagnose yet. So, the typical stimulants weren't available for me yet. In a few weeks time though I will get to try out Concerta, a slow release form of Ritalin.

I guess Concerta will have the potential to cause the exact same problems in me? Benefit will be that it doesn't need to build up in my system over weeks, so I can trial this with the confidence that it can leave my system a lot quicker.

Edited by Clavius, 17 September 2019 - 05:53 AM.

#5 MichaelFocus22

• 331 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 September 2019 - 05:32 PM

Many thanks! This is the sort of information I would have expected from my doctor. I am looking for a different one, but that takes a lot of time and effort. Until then I need to help this pill monkey help me.

The Wellbutrin didn't no anything at all to relieve me from my lack of focus/concentration and motivation. It did make me care much less about those problems. Which not what I wanted to achieve off course. This was given to me because back then I didn't have an official ADD diagnose yet. So, the typical stimulants weren't available for me yet. In a few weeks time though I will get to try out Concerta, a slow release form of Ritalin.

I guess Concerta will have the potential to cause the exact same problems in me? Benefit will be that it doesn't need to build up in my system over weeks, so I can trial this with the confidence that it can leave my system a lot quicker.

1. Concerta is what I take and no it doesn't build up like an SNRI it merely blocks the reupitake inhibitor transmitters and increases dopamine and noerenephrine. It will help and if your lucky you will get no side-effects, I'm looking to just eventually just live with it simply because all medication classes of stimulants basically do the same-thing and it's not forever sustainable to maintain stimulant usage.  Well, if your actually following those suggestions and doing everything that you need to do, then it's the best remedy for you. Noortropics aren't really going to solve the problem the same way, a good night sleep is. You need a good sleep routine and stick with it. Stimulants leave the system but concerta is a sustained stimulant averaging 8-12 hours. Just remember that after the honeymoon phase of say 6 months- 1 year you won't be able to get the same results and get angry when your not able to be superman anymore and you'll keep raising your dose. It may be better to wait for new treatments to develop. That's basically what I did and I'm still in denial of everything. Goodluck.

#6 Clavius

• Topic Starter
  • 59 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 September 2019 - 06:05 PM

1. Concerta is what I take and no it doesn't build up like an SNRI it merely blocks the reupitake inhibitor transmitters and increases dopamine and noerenephrine. It will help and if your lucky you will get no side-effects, I'm looking to just eventually just live with it simply because all medication classes of stimulants basically do the same-thing and it's not forever sustainable to maintain stimulant usage.  Well, if your actually following those suggestions and doing everything that you need to do, then it's the best remedy for you. Noortropics aren't really going to solve the problem the same way, a good night sleep is. You need a good sleep routine and stick with it. Stimulants leave the system but concerta is a sustained stimulant averaging 8-12 hours. Just remember that after the honeymoon phase of say 6 months- 1 year you won't be able to get the same results and get angry when your not able to be superman anymore and you'll keep raising your dose. It may be better to wait for new treatments to develop. That's basically what I did and I'm still in denial of everything. Goodluck.

...But the Concerta is still going to help with memory and executive functioning, right? Just no longer super-motivation anymore? If the first two also go away then I better not even start this stuff.

Thanks again!

#7 MichaelFocus22

• 331 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 September 2019 - 06:21 PM

...But the Concerta is still going to help with memory and executive functioning, right? Just no longer super-motivation anymore? If the first two also go away then I better not even start this stuff.

Thanks again!

1. It will help with your ability to keep consistency over long-timeframes and it helps executive functions a bit. After the super-motivation goes away you can expect to perpetually raise your dose. Oh and this doesn't include the zombie effect which is a whole other can of worms.  It is useful in a controlled manner at best and worst you'll have tons of side-effects. Hence, why I'm working to taper off all-together once I have enough money to. Not going to lie, it's addicting to constantly succeed and you wish you could always be that way. Oh and if it does works people won't want to be around you..Be ready. Goodluck.

#8 Clavius

• Topic Starter
  • 59 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 September 2019 - 06:43 AM

It may be better to wait for new treatments to develop. 

I'm curious... What kind of new treatments? There's bound to be topics already about those here on the forum? If those are better and just around the corner, then I may prefer to skip a in-between-rollercoaster.

They are introducing lysdexamphetamine at the end of this month here in the Netherlands. You're not talking about that, right?

• Good Point x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#9 MichaelFocus22

• 331 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:09 AM

1. Lysdexamphetamine has been around for a long time now. I've already searched almost every relevant thread on the forum for any break-throughs it doesn't exist. If you have ADD-PI only, if you have hyperactive then drug yourself until the cows come up. No, I'm not, I'm saying it may be prudent for a new chemical molecule that  more effectively treats ADD-PI without so many side-effects. Watch for Drug trials and you can see who is applying for FDA Patents and who isn't. I suspect within the next 2 new years a break-through may develop.  Ultimately, it's up to you, right now we have only 2 chemicals that raise sustained arousal states, One is AMPHETAMINE class And the other Is Metylphenidate.  Obviously, the issue is the medication-paradox, zombie effect and other awful side-effects  that is increasingly make the meds punishing on your body. You need to see if your the rare genetic responder that means you get no tolerance and no side-effects. These are the lucky few. If your like me off meds, you will be unable to hold down a job, skip hobby to hobby, unable to stick with anything etc..

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wellubtrin, bupropion, pain, muscle

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users