- - - - -

Trying Sam-e, first days experience

sam-e same s-adenosyl methionine adenosyl methionine

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sicko

• 11 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 05:34 AM

I'm writing this under the influence of SAM-e, so my proceeding description of the effect that SAM-e has had on me just in the 2 days I have tried it, will put this sentence into context. Basically I feel a bit loopy.

So, I have health problems. I have Autoimmune problems with Hashimoto's, Alopecia, Eczema. I also tested positive for Bartonella and Epstein Barr Virus recently (negative for Lyme though).

I'm a 31 year old male, and I have been sick for over 5 years, since early 2014. My main problems are fatigue, inability to handle stress, anxiety, and brain fog. Also, I tend to have a tired but wired feeling, and haven't been sleeping well lately.

I have tried a bunch of supplements, and take many now (I have listed the supplements I take at this google sites website: https://sites.google...nellasupplement). I have used the website "selfdecode.com", to upload my 23andMe results, and get personalized recommendations based on my genetics. I came across a SelfDecode blog article that talked about brain histamine levels, related to the gene HMNT (specifically the SNP "rs1050891"), and the enzyme histamine-N-methyltransferase, which breaks down histamine in the brain. This is the article:  https://www.selfdeco...stamine-hnmt-13

My result for the SNP was homozygous "AA", which is the risk allele, and causes less breakdown of histamine by the enzyme, so can increase brain histamine. The blog article said that theanine and SAM-e can help with this. I already take theanine, and like its effects, although they are quite subtle at this point, as I've been taking theanine for about 9 months. But the article said that since SAM-e is a methyl donor and the enzyme HNMT inactivates histamine by methylating it, SAM-e may help HNMT work better to decrease brain histamine. 

So I ordered a bottle of SAM-e. I took one capsule of 200mg of SAM-e (from the brand Pure Encapsulations) yesterday and today. I can definitely feels the effects from it, seemingly about 30 minutes after taking it. The first night I took it, I felt pretty sleepy right after taking it, like a comfortable and relieving type of sleepy feeling. This feeling doesn't happen much anymore, and I welcome it. But I also felt a bit loopy and out of it from taking the SAM-e. The second day was similar. The second day I took the SAM-e in the afternoon (compared to the evening on the first day). I got comfortably relaxed after taking it, but then I went to work, which is DoorDash delivery currently. I noticed that while the SAM-e made me less anxious while waiting for the food in the restaurant, and I might have felt more comfortable talking to the other people waiting with me, I felt a little loopy, and like I had lost some where-with-all and alertness. I had lost some of that inner dialogue that makes me feel in control and alert, but can also contribute to feelings of anxiety. So I was in a bit of a daze. 

Usually I just feel really stressed, and like my brain is inflamed, so this relatively comfortable loopiness is still not completely hated by me, but I'm wondering why I feel like this, since many people report feeling more alert and have more energy from SAM-e. I know that SAM-e helps increase neurotransmitters like acetylcholine, dopamine, serotonin, norepinephrine and melatonin. So maybe it is activating serotonin or melatonin more for me?

Or maybe it is decreasing brain histamine, and the loopiness is a temporary side-effect?

I've also heard that SAM-e can cause mania in people who are bipolar. I'm not bipolar, but was wondering if there was any relation here, with my experience with SAM-e.

Anyway, I'm writing and asking this because I can't really tell if these effects from SAM-e are good or bad, worrisome or not. I may try it again tomorrow, I'm not sure. Or maybe next time I'll just take it right before I go to bed, and see how I feel in the morning.

#2 Sicko

• Topic Starter
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 04:49 AM

Update: I just took the SAM-e for those two days. Two capsules in total, at 200 mg a capsule. I decided I didn't like how it made me feel, so I threw the bottle away.

It made me loopy, spacey, in a bit of a daze, less internal dialogue, but maybe more talkative and outgoing. I was in a decent mood while on it, but felt like I had less control over myself, and less aware of things in general.

I know it's a really short trial period. I was planning on going longer I suppose, but I did not want to deal with the effects. So that was my little test of SAM-e. 

Oh well :)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sam-e, same, s-adenosyl methionine, adenosyl methionine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users