how reliable are blood tests?

blood test

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 October 2019 - 06:46 AM

I recently had my b12 and magnesium and vitamin D levels checked and my doctors just say they are ''normal'' nothing else. But I really don't think so. I read online that checking for certain vitamins/minerals levels they can't be reliable because for example, during high stress magnesium is released into the blood, so you have more magnesium in your blood but less in your cells or bones or tissues etc, now this would make it seem like you have high magnesium but that's not the case just that your body is using up more but in turn your cells and bones and tissues are deprived of magnesium and your body starts to deteriorate overtime. That is just with magnesium, what about all those other vitamins & minerals? So you would have to ask for a specific way for them to test your magnesium.

Since magnesium is an electrolyte, a magnesium test may be ordered along with other electrolytes such as sodium, potassium, chloride, bicarbonate (or total CO2), calcium, and phosphorus to evaluate a person's electrolyte balance. If magnesium is low, it is not unusual for potassium also to be low. Normal levels of magnesium do not necessarily reflect total body stores of magnesium. The body attempts to keep blood magnesium levels relatively stable and will release magnesium from bone and tissues to accomplish this. So, the blood level may be normal with early magnesium deficiencies.

See this quote from WEBMD:

Other Magnesium Tests

Some experts don’t think a blood test is the best way to find out your magnesium level. That’s because much of the magnesium in your body is stored in your bones and other places, not in the blood.

Stress can send magnesium out of your cells and into your blood. This can make it seem like you have more magnesium in your body than you really have if you simply have a blood test.

There are other tests. Some of them:

• Test how much magnesium you get rid of in your pee.
  • Test the level of magnesium in your red blood cells (RBC).
  • Test the magnesium in your cells, not in your blood. This test is known as an “EXA Test,” and is done through a sample of your mouth cells. It is not easy to get this test because it is not commonly known and it is very expensive.
  • Add magnesium to your blood, then see how much goes into your urine

So obviously, I have a lot of anxiety, so it is making it seem like I have more magnesium in my blood than I really have. So what/how should I ask them to check for my magnesium levels? Should I do the magnesium in my red blood cells test or pee?

Also, what other vitamins & minerals should I have to worry about or re-test again because they can be misguided like with magnesium? Is it possibly b12 and vitamin D also have this error in the blood testing? thanks for any help is greatly appreciated. 

I was thinking of using magnesium topically, how effective are those absorbed?

https://www.easy-imm...sium-level.html

Edited by farshad, 31 October 2019 - 06:55 AM.

#2 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 October 2019 - 07:11 AM

To get through the skin, a substance must penetrate the epidermis or has to be absorbed by sweat glands or hair follicles. The stratum corneum is the outermost layer of the epidermis consisting of dead cells (corneocytes). This layer is composed of about 15 to 20 layers of flattened cells with no nuclei and cell organelles. Their cytoplasm shows filamentous keratin. These corneocytes are embedded in a lipid matrix composed of ceramides, cholesterol, and fatty acids. The stratum corneum functions to form a water-repellent barrier to protect underlying tissue from infection, dehydration, chemicals and mechanical stress [9]. Overcoming this layer in significant quantities is only possible for lipophilic substances. In magnesium chloride solution, magnesium is present in ionized form and therefore not able to penetrate a lipophilic layer. In addition, the radius of the hydrated magnesium ion (86 pm) has been reported to be 400 times higher than its dehydrated form, leading to the assertion that it is almost impossible for magnesium ions to pass through biological membranes [2].

Therefore, cellular magnesium uptake is only being carried out by specific magnesium transporters and not by diffusion. However, since dead cells of the upper skin layer do not contain functional magnesium transporters, which have not yet been identified in detail, magnesium absorption may be possible only at the small area of sweat glands and hair follicles. A recently published study showed that magnesium ions can penetrate the stratum corneum in a concentration and time dependent manner which is significantly facilitated by hair follicles. However, hair follicles and sweat glands constitute only 0.1% to 1% of the skin surface. Even if a substance is absorbed in this area, the question of the clinical relevance of absorbed amounts needs to be addressed. In the study that examined the permeation of topically applied magnesium no information is given on the quantity of absorbed magnesium [10,11].

Magnesium might be able to get into the lymphatic system beneath the dermis and enter the circulatory system, bypassing the regulation through the GI tract and hereby increasing serum magnesium [23,24,25]. However, we cannot yet recommend the application of transdermal magnesium.

So topically, magnesium only a little bit can get trough? I would have to rub high amounts of magnesium chloride in my armpits or the hair on my head? 

Edited by farshad, 31 October 2019 - 07:15 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 October 2019 - 08:51 AM

there is another form called mega-mag it says contain  Magnesium ions (charged magnesium atoms), whatever that means? Is it the same as chloride magnesium? But this particular one you take orally according to the suggest use of the product, different from magnesium chloride taken topically.

#4 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 October 2019 - 12:59 PM

Guys, since magnesium chloride absorption topically is questionable, is it possible to make yourself a small wound on your arm with a knife such that you bleed a little and you can use that blood stream to spray the magnesium for better absorption? It would work as if you injected it like you would with magnesium sulphate. 

''Overcoming this layer in significant quantities is only possible for lipophilic substances''

Lipophilicity refers to the ability of a chemical compound to dissolve in fats, oils, lipids, and non-polar solvents such as hexane or toluene. 

So magnesium oil could work topically or are they saying that magnesium chloride in oil only works a little?

Edited by farshad, 31 October 2019 - 01:05 PM.

#5 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 October 2019 - 04:56 PM

magnesium flakes? 

https://betteryou.co...y-can-help-you/

https://www.webmd.co...som-salt-bath#1

Edited by farshad, 31 October 2019 - 04:57 PM.

#6 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 November 2019 - 10:05 AM

does any1 have experience with topical b vitamins like Niacin? can the flush effect improve absorption for transdermal drugs/supps? etc

What if you take high dosage of niacin and go into hot bath then pour in Epsom salt?

Edited by farshad, 04 November 2019 - 10:06 AM.

#7 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 09:32 AM

Years ago I combined the information about proper nutrient testing from the 2 books: Burgerstein's Handbook of Nutrition: Micronutrients in the Prevention and Therapy of Disease and Micornutrients: Metabolic Tuning - Prevention - Therapy. And posted the results in this thread on an other forum: https://innercircle....s.aspx?ID=12247

If it would show problems in absorbtion of magnesium the oral route, the best way would be Mg-sulfate IVs. Probably second best and tested methods are via nebulizer or enemas:

https://www.drmyhill...um_by_nebuliser

https://drmyhill.co....sium_Per_Rectum

#8 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 November 2019 - 10:55 AM

Years ago I combined the information about proper nutrient testing from the 2 books: Burgerstein's Handbook of Nutrition: Micronutrients in the Prevention and Therapy of Disease and Micornutrients: Metabolic Tuning - Prevention - Therapy. And posted the results in this thread on an other forum: https://innercircle....s.aspx?ID=12247

If it would show problems in absorbtion of magnesium the oral route, the best way would be Mg-sulfate IVs. Probably second best and tested methods are via nebulizer or enemas:

https://www.drmyhill...um_by_nebuliser

https://drmyhill.co....sium_Per_Rectum

Thank you for helping me :)

I tried magnesium transdermal (topical) and holy shit, it works, I bought 2 magnesium sprays and 1 magnesium gel (chloride etc) on Iherb, I went to the bathroom and just poured all three on myself in desperation and smeared it on my body in the warm bath (on my head hair etc), I don't know how but it got absorbed somehow and I think the spray got in my eye once (no idea if magnesium got absorbed there but it stinged), my balls also stinged so I got scared and got out of the bath, anyway, after, right now, i am feeling so much better.. Luckly magnesium has a long half life 42 days so I think my body is healing right now, but I'm not sure how much magnesium was absorbed so. I ordered epsom salt and I am waiting to try it out hopefully it works better, also I haven't tried magnesium flakes yet, but at least I have found my issue, FINALLY! Even though I had my blood tested for magnesium my doctor told me it was normal, yet this way (magnesium transdermal) has helped me more than anything else. I'm not sure how much magnesium my body absorbed from that bath yesterday, but I used it all up so. So I can only assume Injecting magnesium works 10x better.... I am so happy right now I almost wanna cry. Years of pain and trying different stuff and doctors being useless I finally know what my issue is and how I can treat it.

Right now im trying to rest because when you workout your body uses up like 20% more magnesium or when you do other things, so im gonna build my magnesium levels up slowly and steady.  And stay way from things that cause me anxiety which depletes magnesium. Especially a person like me with a genetically induced anxiety, my magnesium stores have gone downhill over the years.

Edited by farshad, 05 November 2019 - 11:38 AM.

#9 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 November 2019 - 10:07 AM

Also I wanna mention, I have/am prone to celiac disease which is an immune disease in which people can't eat gluten because it will damage their small intestine. If you have celiac disease and eat foods with gluten, your immune system responds by damaging the small intestine. 

where is magnesium absorbed? Magnesium is mainly absorbed in the small intestine [21, 15, 46], although some is also taken up via the large intestine.

low magnesium Causes include poor absorption from the intestines.

So on top of celiac disease, I actually eat a lot of bread etc, and on top of that, my crhr1 mutation in excess in the basal amygdala leading to high levels of anxiety, and on top of that my excessive training regime for years in my younger days and poor diet and sleep etc, all these factors depleted my magnesium stores...... now it makes sense..... those are only the things i've found out perhaps there's more reasons...

And magnesium has a role in over 700+ perhaps more enzyme reactions.. but yet my blood test reveled normal magnesium levels, why? your body has 25 grams of magnesium in total all over your body, in tissues, nerves and bones, and in the blood of  course, if you are deficient or your body needs a lot of magnesium due to all the factors i mentioned above or more/other, then your body will send magnesium from your bones , nerves , tissues etc into your blood, making it seem like you have HIGH magnesium when you take a blood test, but in doing so, your magnesium stores in tissues, nerves and bones, etc all suffer and lead to health issues, and all other things become dysfunctional, calcium becomes too much, stress further damages you, all other vitamins/minerals goes away etc.

Edited by farshad, 07 November 2019 - 10:12 AM.

#10 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 November 2019 - 11:50 AM

epsom salt does not work as well, so I assume magnesium flakes won't either. Yet magnesium in the form of chloride works... in spray/gels form. Maybe it worked because it got in my eye? or perhaps my magnesium levels are still replenishing from last time (bath I had with the spray and gel magnesium chloride) and so the epsom salt had no effect / doesn't get absorbed. Either way, I can still feel the effect from the first magnesium bath I had with the sprays and gel forms (chloride)... I'm just gonna stay with them then. 

inflammation plays a key role in in this as well , inflammation pimples/acne on my chest have decreased/become smaller over these past days......also I think my head hair is growing again.. wow

Edited by farshad, 07 November 2019 - 12:21 PM.

#11 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 November 2019 - 01:56 PM

magnesium soap do they work

#12 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 November 2019 - 10:05 PM

took some coconut oil/MCT Oil with this works synergistic

#13 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:09 PM

Notice my previous post, I said that I got a sting from applying the magnesium on my skin, it scared me but that means it's working, and that I was low in magnesium. It stung like hell for me..............

When magnesium levels are low in the body, tingling occurs and subsists over time as your supplies are restored (though it hasn’t been studied). “If your body’s cellular magnesium levels are low and you apply magnesium oil directly onto your skin, it may sometimes sting a little, she says. “Over time and with gradual use, this sensation usually decreases.”

These past days since applying the magnesium on my skin I feel like my energy and metabolism has increased, I have/feel heat generated from my stomach, haven't had that in a long time... but I produce a lot more warmth which is welcoming... So Magnesium chloride does work but not the sulphate/epsom salt.  Magnesium has a role in like over 700+ enzyme reactions so this makes sense..... without magnesium energy production cannot happen.

https://www.sevenmin...esium-oil-sting

Edited by farshad, 09 November 2019 - 07:15 PM.

#14 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:36 PM

In general the rate of absorption of chemicals through skin follows the following scheme from fastest to slowest: Scrotal > Forehead > Armpit ≥ Scalp > Back = Abdomen > Palm = under surface of the foot.

https://en.wikipedia...sorption_(skin)

Edited by farshad, 09 November 2019 - 08:36 PM.

#15 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 November 2019 - 07:46 PM

Only the magnesium oil/sprays chloride etc seem to work, not the epsom salt or magnesium flakes, and you HAVE TO apply the magnesium oil/spray's on your scrotum/balls/testicles, it should burn / sting for like 30 minutes but that mean it is being absorbed. Any other place has no effect, well, actually, I accidentally sprayed in my eye once and it stung like hell but I dont know if it is safe to spray magnesium in your eyes so I would advise against that. Other places with good absorption I have yet to find but I will keep trying and testing tomorrow.

I sprayed about 25 times on my balls and let it absorb, 4 sprays yield about 66mg of magnesium, so I get about 400mg magnesium (which is the RDA)I would guess. I will do this over a period of weeks. Magnesium has a 42 day half life according to google so, but I know its working because my nerves in my forearms seem to be a lot stronger, my spine is a lot more stronger , my fingers too, etc , sign of magnesium stores replenishing itself. But if you have been deficient for as long as me it would take some time for your body to heal it self so you have to constantly add on magnesium also to make sure it stays elevated because you dont know much your body is using.

https://www.reddit.c...nesium_topical/

https://www.healthli...lth/blood-tests

Edited by farshad, 12 November 2019 - 08:18 PM.

#16 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 November 2019 - 10:19 PM

also I have 20% likelihood of developing type 2 diabetes which further depletes magnesium levels...so together with my CRHR1 mutation in excess depleting magnesium levels due to stress and celiac disease resulting in poor absorption of magnesium = you can see how this can easily lead to serious magnesium deficiency, and metabolic issues, this is also why I think i HAVE dandruff..

Edited by farshad, 12 November 2019 - 10:20 PM.

#17 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:00 PM

https://en.wikipedia...m_(medical_use)

https://en.wikipedia...e_(medical_use)

Magnesium injections (IM/IV) would be preferable for best absorption but since they can be hard to get, topical magnesium chloride on scrotum/balls or upper inner thigh/legs better not as painful. I assume many other drugs n supplements absorb well in these areas or?

3554fe26-2d6c-400f-925c-dc56ff8da5d6.jpg

Edited by farshad, 13 November 2019 - 12:11 PM.

#18 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 November 2019 - 01:07 PM

In fact, consistent topical application of concentrated magnesium chloride oil (from a pristine, unpolluted source) can restore magnesium levels in just weeks, compared to the many months oral supplementation can take

https://www.hyperbio...-than-you-think

#19 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 November 2019 - 02:16 PM

I think your pee hole might have absorption potential too but it might hurt like hell...

Have yet to try the anus doubt it'll work though. etc

I think the eyes might be a good absorption place because it bypasses the BBB etc easily and fast  but dunno how safe it is..

Edited by farshad, 13 November 2019 - 02:45 PM.

#20 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 November 2019 - 04:48 PM

The metabolism can be stimulated with natural, high-quality, organic, cold pressed Virgin coconut oil due to this oil containing triglycerides, which are simply called MCT and which when found in nature are only contained in very few oils. they deliver high quality energy to the body and promote the absorption of calcium and magnesium.

Edited by farshad, 13 November 2019 - 04:58 PM.

#21 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 November 2019 - 12:32 PM

exactly right on top of a green vein on my hands the big ones smearing the magnesium there seems to sting just tiny but nothing compared to on the scrotum...

the magnesium gel does not seem to work, i think its too thick, only the spray variants of magnesium chloride works, perhaps my magnesium stores have built up? but no when i use the spray the sting come back so.. have yet to try spraying up my nose and probably wont.  but the sting is not as painful now that im few days/weeks in , perhaps it gets more stingy the more i add? or my magnesium stores have build up enough that the sting doesn't happen. oh and the magniesum gel and spray are from the same company so its not because of different ingredients (life-flo) or?

Edited by farshad, 14 November 2019 - 01:13 PM.

#22 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 November 2019 - 02:50 PM

hmm does your penis absorb better when erect (full of blood) etc

Edited by farshad, 14 November 2019 - 02:50 PM.

#23 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:15 PM

does having more hair on your body increase absorption?

#24 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 November 2019 - 12:50 PM

Consider taking vitamin D. Some studies suggest that increasing your vitamin D can help your body to absorb magnesium

also the gel version does work but not as well I think.

Edited by farshad, 15 November 2019 - 12:59 PM.

#25 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 November 2019 - 07:27 PM

fish oil/krill oil?

i urinate less frequently now and my hair is growing faster and my spine etc and arm nerves seem stronger feel

Edited by farshad, 15 November 2019 - 07:39 PM.

#26 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 November 2019 - 06:10 PM

fluoride inhibits magnesium absorption etc

According to the Weston A. Price Foundation, every single cell in the human body demands adequate magnesium to function. Strong bones and teeth, balanced hormones, a healthy nervous and cardiovascular system, detoxification pathways and much more depend upon adequate magnesium intake and absorption.

In addition, those of us who are concerned about osteopenia and osteoporosis need to ensure adequate magnesium intake. The research shows that when fluoride binds to dietary magnesium it could create an insoluble mineral compound that ends up being deposited in the bones, where it can weaken the bone matrix, leading to brittle bones and an increased risk of fractures. We recommend augmenting with a quality bone supplement such as MAG365 BF, a highly bioavailable ionic magnesium citrate formula with added vitamins and minerals that contribute to bone and teeth health.

Consequently, if your drinking water or food contains fluoride and you consume it regularly this may lead to lower dietary magnesium absorption and possible magnesium deficiency.

Edited by farshad, 16 November 2019 - 06:11 PM.

#27 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 November 2019 - 11:45 PM

to try: 

B Vitamin B-12 Cream

#28 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 November 2019 - 01:00 AM

https://2012books.la...or-metabol.html

Minerals are not as efficiently absorbed as most vitamins and so the bioavailability of minerals can be very low. Plant-based foods often contain factors, such as oxalate and phytate, that bind to minerals and inhibit their absorption. In general, minerals are better absorbed from animal-based foods. In most cases, if dietary intake of a particular mineral is increased, absorption will decrease. Some minerals influence the absorption of others. For instance, excess zinc in the diet can impair iron and copper absorption. Conversely, certain vitamins enhance mineral absorption. For example, vitamin C boosts iron absorption, and vitamin D boosts calcium and magnesium absorption. As is the case with vitamins, certain gastrointestinal disorders and diseases, such as Crohn’s disease and kidney disease, as well as the aging process, impair mineral absorption, putting people with malabsorption conditions and the elderly at higher risk for mineral deficiencies.

Magnesium ATP synthesis and utilization, carbohydrate, lipid, protein, RNA, and DNA synthesis Tremor, muscle spasms, loss of appetite, nausea Trace   Iron Assists in energy production, DNA synthesis required for red blood cell function Anemia: fatigue, paleness, faster heart rate Zinc Assists in energy production, protein, RNA and DNA synthesis; required for hemoglobin synthesis Growth retardation in children, hair loss, diarrhea, skin sores, loss of appetite, weight loss Iodine Making thyroid hormone, metabolism, growth and development Goiter, cretinism, other signs and symptoms include fatigue, depression, weight gain, itchy skin, low heart-rate Selenium Essential for thyroid hormone activity fatigue Copper Assists in energy production, iron metabolism Anemia: fatigue, paleness, faster heart rate Manganese Glucose synthesis, amino-acid catabolism Impaired growth, skeletal abnormalities, abnormal glucose metabolism Chromium Assists insulin in carbohydrate, lipid and protein metabolism abnormal glucose metabolism

Edited by farshad, 17 November 2019 - 01:04 AM.

#29 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 November 2019 - 02:44 AM

Calcium

Potassium

Sodium

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 November 2019 - 02:23 PM

Magnesium helps absorb vital vitamins and minerals like sodium, calcium, potassium, and phosphorus. Mineral absorption usually occurs within the small intestine, which ensures the detoxification of many harmful toxins in our body. It also helps activate vitamin D stored in the body, which in its inactive form is of negligible use.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blood test

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users