• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Modafinil "decreases" 800 different types of bacteria. Does that make it an antibiotic?

antibiotic modafinil gut health microbiome microbiomeprescription antibiotics

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 04:21 PM

According to this website Microbiomeprescription, Modafinil decreases over 800 different types of bacteria. Modafinil is quite popular amongst biohackers but I've heard of it described as an antibiotic like penicillin, Clindamycin or Fluoroquinolones (yikes!) The negative side effects that are commonly attributed to Modafinil are histamine related. I've used Modafinil a bunch of times and the main negative is just the effect on sleep for me. I haven't experienced any antibiotic resistance effects from Modafinil, have you? The health conscious tend to avoid antibiotics, is this a good reason not use Modafinil?

Apparently, this comes from this study, Extensive impact of non-antibiotic drugs on human gut bacteria, published in Nature in 2018. From its abstract:

A few commonly used non-antibiotic drugs have recently been associated with changes in gut microbiome composition, but the extent of this phenomenon is unknown. Here, we screened more than 1,000 marketed drugs against 40 representative gut bacterial strains, and found that 24% of the drugs with human targets, including members of all therapeutic classes, inhibited the growth of at least one strain in vitro. Particular classes, such as the chemically diverse antipsychotics, were overrepresented in this group. The effects of human-targeted drugs on gut bacteria are reflected on their antibiotic-like side effects in humans and are concordant with existing human cohort studies. Susceptibility to antibiotics and human-targeted drugs correlates across bacterial species, suggesting common resistance mechanisms, which we verified for some drugs. The potential risk of non-antibiotics promoting antibiotic resistance warrants further exploration.

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#2 modafinilman

• Registrant
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 11:37 AM

I assume that you would have seen some pretty adverse reactions as you would when consuming antibiotics too often. So far, people haven't seen such adverse reactions. Of course, those who have experienced are welcome to share.

#3 Immortal Occidental

• 3 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 04:26 AM

As a narcolept who takes Modafinil regularly, I would be interested to hear more about this. 

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 05:44 PM

I would be worried about gut bacteria, which are very important to long term health.

Edited by Mind, 27 December 2020 - 11:59 AM.

• Agree x 1

#5 Neurocryo

• 54 posts

Posted 27 December 2020 - 03:28 AM

As a narcolept who takes Modafinil regularly, I would be interested to hear more about this. 

I’ve taken Modafinil for 2 years now for my schizoaffective.  I can’t imagine what life was like before it.  Thinking back on my probiotic purchases over the past 2 years I’ve been brute force exposing my body to all sorts of brands and strains.  I was unaware modafinil did this an am wondering if I’ve evolved some superbugs in my gut.

#6 jroseland

• Topic Starter
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 10:03 AM

I’ve taken Modafinil for 2 years now for my schizoaffective.  I can’t imagine what life was like before it.  Thinking back on my probiotic purchases over the past 2 years I’ve been brute force exposing my body to all sorts of brands and strains.  I was unaware modafinil did this an am wondering if I’ve evolved some superbugs in my gut.

Actually, I'd be interested in seeing your Viome gut-health test results. They might indicate whether or not Modafinil is hurting your gut biome.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antibiotic, modafinil, gut health, microbiome, microbiomeprescription, antibiotics

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)