• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

New Study on Statins & Cognitive Issues Flawed?

statinscholesterol dementia alzheimers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:56 PM

After several decades of observations leading to an actual black box warning on statin meds regarding memory loss & cognitive issues, a new study is claiming these worries are unfounded.  

Statins not linked with memory loss in seniors, study finds

https://www.reuters....s-idUSKBN1XS2EV

Looking at the nuts & bolts of the study, it appears the selection criteria might have something to do with the negative finding.  

"To analyze statins’ possible impact on cognition, Samaras and her colleagues turned to the Sydney Memory and Aging Study, which has been following 1,037 seniors who were aged 70 to 90 at the start of the study and were not showing signs of dementia."

What jumped out at me was the age range of 70-90 with "no signs of dementia" presumably after testing in order to be eligible for the study.  Anyone who makes it to age 70, or particularly 80-90 with no detectable signs of dementia most likely is a minority sub-set population, genetically gifted to avoid age related dementia.  This also means anyone genetically predisposed to development of age related dementia would be effectively excluded from the study.  

"Rosenson hopes the new findings will counter some of the misinformation circulating on the internet and other places."

I call FOUL!  Doctors & pharmaceutical companies are going to run with this and resume their "statins for all" approach for prescribing these meds.  The minority sub-set population with bullet proof genetics may not be hurt by this, but the most vulnerable population for age related decline in cognition may well end up on the scrap heap of life.  How much will it cost to take care of all these people?  More than we can afford!  

Pharmageddon: A dystopian scenario wherein medicine and the pharmaceuticals industry have a net detrimental effect on human health and medical progress does more harm than good.

• Agree x 2

#2 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:05 AM

I call FOUL! 

Only to be expected with the billions in profits at stake.

• Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Dorian Grey

• Topic Starter
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 02:24 AM

Another aspect totally overlooked with this study is the association of long term statin use with the development of diabetes, which is strongly linked to dementia.  

Many starting statins around age 40 may develop statin related diabetes around age 50, and be predisposed to early onset dementia around age 60.  

It will be interesting to see if they get called on this sham-show study, or if it will become the new "proven safe & effective" mantra.  

Edited by Dorian Grey, 19 November 2019 - 02:25 AM.

#4 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:33 PM

Here is another review of statins that finds they barely work and do have significant under-reported side effects: https://www.ncbi.nlm..._FhRZGSp8XS0XZw

I am not a huge fan of meta-analysis, but many other studies have confirmed the problematic aspects of statins.

• like x 1

#5 Kentavr

• 347 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 02:19 PM

Statins are safe:

1. only in much lower doses

2. only a limited course.

3. only some of the species (least lipophilic, since strongly lipophilic statins have a cumulative effect).

People are simply poisoned with statins at the doses that medicine currently recommends.

Read an analysis of studies on the benefits of statins (in Russian):

https://nestarenie.r...zuvastatin.html

It is better to use rosuvastatin, since it is not a lipophilic statin.

Damage to mitochondria is apparently associated with lipophilic statins, which accumulate in the liver and block the production of coenzyme Q10, which protects mitochondria from reactive oxygen species in its reduced form.

Edited by Kentavr, 29 November 2019 - 02:25 PM.

#6 Kentavr

• 347 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 02:45 PM

Based on my post and previously read studies on this topic, I came to the following conclusions:

1. The constant use of statins in the doses that are recommended by medicine, causes damage to the mitochondria.

2. Statins have a positive effect on blood vessels, stimulating the production of nitric oxide, which reduces the rate of epigenetic changes due to the deterioration of blood vessels (if vascular cells do not work well, then other cells also change towards an older profile, since due to the poor functioning of epithelial cells, other cells receive less nutrients).
Lipophilic statins (e.g., rosuvastatin) should be used.

3. Statins make telomeres longer, which leads to two consequences: A) people live longer on statins, even with damaged mitochondria B) at the same time, people accelerate their epigenetic aging by lengthening telomeres with statins.

As a result, people are trapped: long telomeres, a large epigenetic age (old cells live longer) and damaged mitochondria.

Bottom line: wrinkles, high risk of Parkinson's disease, painful long old age. This result is very beneficial to pharmaceutical companies.
  • Cheerful x 1
  • Agree x 1

#7 Kentavr

• 347 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 02:54 PM

Hence the final conclusion: statins are needed only non-lipophilic, only in small doses, only course and only to stimulate the production of nitric oxide.

To lower cholesterol, it is necessary to take PCSK9 inhibitors (even if they are more expensive).

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 Kentavr

• 347 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 03:04 PM

I am 37 years old, with a view of prevention I accept the following combination:

1. Rosuvastatin (2.5 mg / day)
2. Telmisartan (20 mg / day)

The time of the reception: around 21:00.

Frequency of admission: course 10 days, 20 days break. However, I came to the conclusion that it is optimal to take this combination every other day (reception day, rest day) for a month. Then a break.

For insurance, I take Ubiquinol 200 mg / day at 19:00.

My wrinkles are noticeably smaller, even taking into account the fact that I sleep 6 hours a day.

Edited by Kentavr, 29 November 2019 - 03:07 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: statinscholesterol, dementia, alzheimers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users