• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Might there be such a thing as too much curcumin?

curcumin

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bacopacabana

• 40 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:24 PM

My partner, having never used curcumin before, recently started using a 277x potency curcumin and got really bad diarrhea.

I'm wondering if we shouldn't be expecting this kind of thing as once upon a time people were taking curcumin at a measly 1x potency.

Then maybe they go up to BCM-95, maybe 7x.  Still a pretty big increase in dose.

But now we go to micelle curcumin and as much as 277x or whatever.  Strikes me as slightly insane.  The capsule I'm taking is now equivalent to as much as 54g of curcumin.  That's a lot of curcumin.

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#2 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:52 PM

Of course.  You can get too much of anything.  Including water.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:06 PM

Sounds like Revgentics. Reach out to Anthony Loera on their site. Ask what the max dose of it he suggests, and if higher doses than that in general can possibly cause some reaction due to say, an increase in Serotonin. I do not mean this as a negative, just that sometimes lower doses of substances act differently to higher doses. One thing to maybe look out for is night sweats.

He has been a long time friend of this site.

#4 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:14 PM

BTW - I generally advocate looking for research for some guidance for dosage for whatever effect you're trying to achieve.  Just taking "a lot" in the hope that more is better is generally not the way to go.  You might have to convert a dose from an animal study to a human equivalent dose, but at least it's a starting point.  Of course, human studies are preferred.

And certainly, if you can try a dose level and consistently get a adverse reaction then you are likely taking too much.

#5 bacopacabana

• Topic Starter
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 05:33 PM

Sounds like Revgentics. Reach out to Anthony Loera on their site. Ask what the max dose of it he suggests, and if higher doses than that in general can possibly cause some reaction due to say, an increase in Serotonin. I do not mean this as a negative, just that sometimes lower doses of substances act differently to higher doses. One thing to maybe look out for is night sweats.

He has been a long time friend of this site.

What I'm taking and referred to as ~54g equivalent is LEF, but same thing as Revgenetics, and same thing as my partner's Nordic Naturals.  I doubt it's a big deal overall, but there aren't really any low dose options for the micelle curcumin.  One could always go back to the regular stuff I suppose.

#6 bacopacabana

• Topic Starter
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 05:38 PM

Of course.  You can get too much of anything.  Including water.

Honestly, not a very helpful reply.  I would say I'm obviously asking the question of whether, within the ranges of the extremely potent curcumin now available, what's going on, are we seeing higher levels of adverse responses or whatever.  If you don't know, that's cool.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 06:44 PM

Honestly, not a very helpful reply.  I would say I'm obviously asking the question of whether, within the ranges of the extremely potent curcumin now available, what's going on, are we seeing higher levels of adverse responses or whatever.  If you don't know, that's cool.

I don't think anyone here can give an informed answer to your question.  There likely has been no testing of that formulation at that dose. And the "277x potency" claim is a near meaningless marketing statement that I can't really translate to any real dose of a curcumin that has actually been tested.

I think you're approaching the question from the wrong end.  The approach should not be "is this arbitrarily high dose ok?" but rather, what evidence of an effective dose exists for whatever benefit you're trying to achieve.

So, what you should do is look at animal and human testing to see what doses they used (translating any animal studies to Human Equivalent Doses) that pertain to whatever benefit they were able to elicit.

You asked an ill defined question and I gave you an ill defined answer.  If you'll look however at my second answer you'll see that I suggest you should try to pick a dose based on a clinical or animal study and that certainly if you're getting reproducible adverse reactions like diarrhea you should probably not continue with that dose (which I would think would be rather self obvious).

• Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: curcumin

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users