dental dental implants

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jenni_Daniel

• 2 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 December 2019 - 06:29 AM

Hey,

My mother-in-law has an infected tooth that needs extraction. Her dentist in Guelph recommended a dental implant treatment after the tooth extraction, but I'm scared of the cost. Because one of my friends said that dental implants aren't covered by insurance since they're considered cosmetic. And I heard that even if insurance can help, it is still possibly thousands of dollars. I could technically afford the cost of dental implants in Guelph, but paying for a dental implant seriously set me back. Because it would put me back honestly in the financial danger zone. So I would like to know whether dental implants worth the money. What about leaving the gap empty? I would appreciate any insights you can give from people who have gotten implants or have chosen to leave a gap in their teeth.

Thanks!

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#2 Oakman

Posted 20 December 2019 - 03:02 PM

Wife has one, in process for another. They are hella expensive, that is a fact. It takes about a yr to finish the process, but it does look good and should last forever. Dentist said you can leave the hole, but cosmetically, might not be nice, depending where the tooth is (was). I shoulda been a dentist, they are all rich these days.

#3 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 December 2019 - 01:37 AM

In Canada, it should be less expensive than here in the US.

After the extraction, do not leave the gap for longer than a month, two at most. Otherwise, this will lead to bone erosion, which then may require bone graft, especially if it is in the upper jaw. It is best to do the implant within a short period after the extraction or even at the same time.

As time passes, the teeth will start to shift toward to gap. That's why I think it is best to leave the root or tooth in until the course of action becomes clear. If there is an infection, it can be dealt with antibiotics, which could even be applied topically (look up triple antibiotic paste).

Some people here go abroad, to Mexico or even further south. But if you add air travel + hotel + time off work, it's about the same. But then that's why they call it 'dental vacation', meaning you try to have a good time at it. Dental vacations make sense only if you have lotsa work done (but it's not a good idea to get to such a point).

So, if it's just one tooth, I'd go locally. Ask friends, relatives and coworkers for a recommendation. And start saving :)

Edited by xEva, 22 December 2019 - 01:42 AM.

• Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Oakman

Posted 22 December 2019 - 03:54 AM

In Canada, it should be less expensive than here in the US.

After the extraction, do not leave the gap for longer than a month, two at most. Otherwise, this will lead to bone erosion, which then may require bone graft, especially if it is in the upper jaw. It is best to do the implant within a short period after the extraction or even at the same time.

As time passes, the teeth will start to shift toward to gap. That's why I think it is best to leave the root or tooth in until the course of action becomes clear. If there is an infection, it can be dealt with antibiotics, which could even be applied topically (look up triple antibiotic paste).

Some people here go abroad, to Mexico or even further south. But if you add air travel + hotel + time off work, it's about the same. But then that's why they call it 'dental vacation', meaning you try to have a good time at it. Dental vacations make sense only if you have lotsa work done (but it's not a good idea to get to such a point).

So, if it's just one tooth, I'd go locally. Ask friends, relatives and coworkers for a recommendation. And start saving :)

After extraction, the issue of the adjacent teeth is solved with a 'flipper' i.e., a denture used when not eating to maintain spacing (also $$$). Also often (always?) a bone implant needs to be done, so the placing of an implant would not be advised until a bone implant is joined to existing bone, which takes months, and up to a yr. Then a pin can be placed to place in the new jaw bone to put the fake tooth on. Or that's how it worked for us.

• Informative x 1

#5 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 11:03 AM

I would appreciate any insights you can give from people who have gotten implants or have chosen to leave a gap in their teeth.

With tetracycline injections as a newborn against pneumonia, I developed chalk teeth. Which meant most basically crumbled till early adulthood. Only 12 remained. Got everything else extracted and dentures ($50,- in 2001 in Myanmar; lasted till accidentally vomited into a toilet in 2013, got new one's in New Dehli for $100,-). Works for me.

• Good Point x 1

#6 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 December 2019 - 06:56 AM

After extraction, the issue of the adjacent teeth is solved with a 'flipper' i.e., a denture used when not eating to maintain spacing (also $$$). Also often (always?) a bone implant needs to be done, so the placing of an implant would not be advised until a bone implant is joined to existing bone, which takes months, and up to a yr. Then a pin can be placed to place in the new jaw bone to put the fake tooth on. Or that's how it worked for us.

See, if you do the implant right after the extraction you avoid the need for bone graft and all other problems.

She could investigate that 3Mix-MP or, as I just googled it, now it's called triple-antibiotic paste in endodontics. Seems this alternative to a root canal did take off (took literally decades!) I made some posts on it years ago. She can keep the tooth using this treatment, no extraction required -- maybe a crown? depends on the state of the tooth of course.

In any rate, this triple paste (cipro, minocycline, metronidazole) is supposed to kill all oral bacteria and can be used also on infected pulp which, in standard therapy, calls for root canal. I know couple of people for whom it worked and cost just like a regular filling. The tooth remained alive and well for years.

• Informative x 1

#7 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 January 2020 - 12:00 AM

See, if you do the implant right after the extraction you avoid the need for bone graft and all other problems.

True only if the remaining bone tissue is unaffected/robust enough - which , given the OP's MIL's age( probably 50+) and the current infection probably means moderate to severe jaw bone erosion thus the need for bone grafting first, waiting for the graft to properly fuse (~6 months) and only then proceeding with the actual bolt/tooth implanting.

She could investigate that 3Mix-MP or, as I just googled it, now it's called triple-antibiotic paste in endodontics. Seems this alternative to a root canal did take off (took literally decades!) I made some posts on it years ago. She can keep the tooth using this treatment, no extraction required -- maybe a crown? depends on the state of the tooth of course.

In any rate, this triple paste (cipro, minocycline, metronidazole) is supposed to kill all oral bacteria and can be used also on infected pulp which, in standard therapy, calls for root canal. I know couple of people for whom it worked and cost just like a regular filling. The tooth remained alive and well for years.

I agree - 3Mix-MP would be my first choice as root canal treatment is a poor "solution" to the problem. Given the cost or RCT - travel to Japan from Canada plus filling while there would probably be comparable cash outlay.

#8 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 February 2020 - 11:18 AM

True only if the remaining bone tissue is unaffected/robust enough - which , given the OP's MIL's age( probably 50+) and the current infection probably means moderate to severe jaw bone erosion thus the need for bone grafting first, waiting for the graft to properly fuse (~6 months) and only then proceeding with the actual bolt/tooth implanting.

-? the reason for bone erosion is chronic infection. If this is addressed, the bone heals. It heals faster if there is a working, chewing tooth in there.  Otherwise, without pressure, the bone will erode regardless of all other factors.

I agree - 3Mix-MP would be my first choice as root canal treatment is a poor "solution" to the problem. Given the cost or RCT - travel to Japan from Canada plus filling while there would probably be comparable cash outlay.

you don't need to go to Japan for that. You can ask a local dentist, and he/she just may agree to do it. The actual person I knew who had it done was in his late 50s then.  He happened to be in Latvia at the time and found an agreeable dentist. The fillings lasted, as promised, 5y+.

And why do you call it 'poor solution'? IMO having an alive tooth beats all other solutions. That this 3Mix-MP tek costs much less is an additional bonus.

A traditional root canal is a very costly abomination, in my view.  The other costly alternative is a zirconium implant. In the meantime, as long as the tooth is alive, there is hope, for things do progress and new treatments pop up once in a while. Like, whatever happened to that drug that restored dentin? (it's been a few years since that study already, no?)

Edited by xEva, 22 February 2020 - 11:38 AM.

#9 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 February 2020 - 04:54 PM

-? the reason for bone erosion is chronic infection. If this is addressed, the bone heals. It heals faster if there is a working, chewing tooth in there.  Otherwise, without pressure, the bone will erode regardless of all other factors.

you don't need to go to Japan for that. You can ask a local dentist, and he/she just may agree to do it. The actual person I knew who had it done was in his late 50s then.  He happened to be in Latvia at the time and found an agreeable dentist. The fillings lasted, as promised, 5y+.

And why do you call it 'poor solution'? IMO having an alive tooth beats all other solutions. That this 3Mix-MP tek costs much less is an additional bonus.

A traditional root canal is a very costly abomination, in my view.  The other costly alternative is a zirconium implant. In the meantime, as long as the tooth is alive, there is hope, for things do progress and new treatments pop up once in a while. Like, whatever happened to that drug that restored dentin? (it's been a few years since that study already, no?)

The bone may heal but will not regrow to previous levels regardless of the amount of chewing that follows - which while it helps it is not a panacea to the bone loss. Maintaining the reduced level without major further erosion is the best case scenario,

There is no way to get a Canadian-certified dentist to agree on doing this - ask me how I know. :) They find their liability exposure is higher than their willingness to help. Thus the need to travel to more "flexible" destination.

I referred to the poor solution being the RCT so I agree with what you said.

• Agree x 1

#10 diana1

• 2 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 February 2021 - 03:38 PM

I also had an operation. Last year I got a tooth implant because I had missed one tooth and everything went well, so I was afraid for no reason. Next week my mom goes to a dentist to put in with a dental implant that fits comfortably and is nearly indistinguishable from real teeth in look and use. I accidentally found that great dental clinic where I and my mom go. I advised this clinic to a friend too because she was looking for invisalign preferred provider and I said she could find it there. At that dental clinic, there is provided full support for Invisalign.

Edited by diana1, 03 February 2021 - 03:39 PM.

• Informative x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dental, dental implants

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users