olive oil

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Rosanna

• 159 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 January 2020 - 11:46 PM

Hi everyone

Does anyone know the research Dr Sinclair has recently talked about that is showing olive oil to have longevity benefits?

I have never seen olive oil as natural because it's bottled and concentrated, ie it doesn't grow on trees like that.  None the less I'm curious about the mechanism by which it could work.  I'm not a keto fan, and generally follow a very low fat diet.  However I'm interested in thoughts on all sides.

Interested in your thoughts.

#2 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 08:53 AM

Lots of things that are good for us do not grow on trees.

Free weights and exercise don't grow on trees.

I recommend steering clear of Hipster ideas about health and do a combination of what ever works best for you and your blood work.

By the way blood labs don't grow on trees either. But knowing your blood work numbers could be potentially good for your health.

• Cheerful x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Rosanna

• Topic Starter
  • 159 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 February 2020 - 12:19 AM

Thanks for your thoughts.  Curious about olive oil because of the work of Dr Caldwell Esselstyn, hardly call him hipster when he reversed coronary disease from many patients by removing virtually all fat, meat, dairy and oil (including olive oil) from their diets (and showed this on angiograms)

Coronary disease runs through my father's side.  I don't think checking bloodwork tells you the amount of coronary disease that's building up, also a cholesterol check means little because heart disease still occurs with normal cholesterol.  High HDL isn't necessarily a good thing either, and many people on strict vegan diets such as those of Esselstyn have low HDL and still show reversal of atherosclerosis.  So up to a point I'm not sure about how useful blood results are?

My reasoning is that there's no way of knowing that you are doing damage / or not doing damage to your arteries with oil, even olive oil.  I was just curious about the science of what Dr Sinclair was saying as that might help me understand.  While Dr Esselstyn may be knowledgeable about how to reverse disease, Dr Sinclair may be knowledgeable about how to prevent it in the first place.

My reference to things growing on trees was more about how natural foods would be thought to be less likely to create inflammation as we evolved with them, but I take your point that not everything natural is best for us.  Maybe olive oil does concentrate the factor that's in it that is good for us...   

Edited by Rosanna, 02 February 2020 - 12:22 AM.

#4 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 05:46 AM

Thanks for your thoughts.  Curious about olive oil because of the work of Dr Caldwell Esselstyn, hardly call him hipster when he reversed coronary disease from many patients by removing virtually all fat, meat, dairy and oil (including olive oil) from their diets (and showed this on angiograms)

Coronary disease runs through my father's side.  I don't think checking bloodwork tells you the amount of coronary disease that's building up, also a cholesterol check means little because heart disease still occurs with normal cholesterol.  High HDL isn't necessarily a good thing either, and many people on strict vegan diets such as those of Esselstyn have low HDL and still show reversal of atherosclerosis.  So up to a point I'm not sure about how useful blood results are?

My reasoning is that there's no way of knowing that you are doing damage / or not doing damage to your arteries with oil, even olive oil.  I was just curious about the science of what Dr Sinclair was saying as that might help me understand.  While Dr Esselstyn may be knowledgeable about how to reverse disease, Dr Sinclair may be knowledgeable about how to prevent it in the first place.

My reference to things growing on trees was more about how natural foods would be thought to be less likely to create inflammation as we evolved with them, but I take your point that not everything natural is best for us.  Maybe olive oil does concentrate the factor that's in it that is good for us...   

I'm going to experiment with a slightly modified version Dr Esselstyn's plan and see what the blood work results are from that.

My last total cholesterol was 205, LDL was 100 HDL was 92 with a paleo diet and Red yeast rice. 

Let's see what this does. 

#5 Rosanna

• Topic Starter
  • 159 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 February 2020 - 09:22 PM

TheFountain, interesting experiment,  Dr Esselstyn is always very insistent that the plan is not modified in any way.  

Here in the UK cholesterol is measured differently so not really sure what your figures mean.  I had a total cholesterol of 3 which I was told was excellent, however

I thought HDL was a little low, this was some time back.  Both Dr Esselstyn and Dr Dean Ornish report that low HDL is not necessarily a problem, just to add to the confusion.  Since both have demonstrated atherosclerosis reversal on angiograms, I'm inclined to listen.

I'm personally not against a paleo diet though, I'm very wary of keto for obvious reasons I've read so much of Esselstyn and Ornish research, but paleo looks like a very healthy diet compared

to the average western diet.

#6 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 04:39 AM

TheFountain, interesting experiment,  Dr Esselstyn is always very insistent that the plan is not modified in any way.  

Here in the UK cholesterol is measured differently so not really sure what your figures mean.  I had a total cholesterol of 3 which I was told was excellent, however

I thought HDL was a little low, this was some time back.  Both Dr Esselstyn and Dr Dean Ornish report that low HDL is not necessarily a problem, just to add to the confusion.  Since both have demonstrated atherosclerosis reversal on angiograms, I'm inclined to listen.

I'm personally not against a paleo diet though, I'm very wary of keto for obvious reasons I've read so much of Esselstyn and Ornish research, but paleo looks like a very healthy diet compared

to the average western diet.

Did they reverse it in the absence of surgery or in addition to surgery on high risk or already affected patients? 

To answer your cholesterol question, My figures are pretty good, but I want them amazing. 

#7 Rosanna

• Topic Starter
  • 159 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 May 2020 - 12:48 AM

Did they reverse it in the absence of surgery or in addition to surgery on high risk or already affected patients? 

To answer your cholesterol question, My figures are pretty good, but I want them amazing. 

In the absence of surgery, where patients chose to try the dietary method first or where stenting could not be used because of location in the artery.  These were already high risk patients / affected patients...

#8 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 08:09 PM

In the absence of surgery, where patients chose to try the dietary method first or where stenting could not be used because of location in the artery.  These were already high risk patients / affected patients...

Wondering if you could copy/paste that here, exactly where it says this. 

Thanks

#9 sensei

• 929 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 04:58 AM

Olive Oil is not concentrated.

Cold pressed EXTRA VIRGIN OO contains polyphenols identified to promote longevity.

Oleocanthal the polyphenols that causes the burn in your throat from olive oil, is an inhibitor of MTOR at nanomolar concentration.

Edited by sensei, 08 February 2022 - 04:59 AM.

• Informative x 1

#10 Rosanna

• Topic Starter
  • 159 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 February 2022 - 12:46 PM

Wondering if you could copy/paste that here, exactly where it says this. 

Thanks

The Fountain, I will find it as soon as possible, Dr Esselstyn mentions one patient in a presentation and I will have to find that.

Olive Oil is not concentrated.

Cold pressed EXTRA VIRGIN OO contains polyphenols identified to promote longevity.

Oleocanthal the polyphenols that causes the burn in your throat from olive oil, is an inhibitor of MTOR at nanomolar concentration.

Thanks, what I meant by concentrated is you wouldn't naturally eat that many olives to get that much oil.

Interesting about MTOR inhibition

#11 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 25 February 2022 - 04:55 PM

Some of the longest-lived people on the planet (Mediterranean Blue Zone) used to consume ungodly amounts of olive oil on a daily basis. They routinely lived past 90 and often into their 100s. If olive oil was "bad for you", these people should have died early deaths by massive hear-attacks. Dr. Michael Rose claims that perhaps not everyone will see a health benefit from olive oil consumption, because people in the Mediterranean Blue Zone have probably adapted to a diet extremely high in olive oil - having consumed it for thousands of years.

People in this blue zone no longer live as long because they changed their diet to resemble the SAD - which is very sad. In addition, they were counseled by health bureaucrats to stop consuming so much olive oil. They took the advice even though they had a very long history proving the olive oil was good for them. What a tragedy.

I have no problem with Dr. Esselstyn promoting a healthier diet. Veganism and vegetarianism works well for most people. However, the religious-like hatred of all fat is not warranted.

• Enjoying the show x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: olive oil

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users