• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Magnesium L-Threonate considerably boosts my deep sleep. Why?

sleep magnesium

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mrlamm

• 5 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 04:32 PM

Magnesium L-Threonate increases my deep sleep by ~20% (measured via Dreem-2). Now, anybody want to wadger why?

I have supplemented with other forms of magnesium. No similar effect (and it has been "just to be sure". My diet is good & I should not be deficient in magnesium).

The only other supplement that I have found with any measurable positive effects on sleep is 300 mcg Melatonin. I know the scam that the industry is, but I am still surprised and puzzled by the effect of the compound mentioned above...

#2 DaveX

• 84 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 05:34 PM

What's surprising? Magnesium Threonate is specifically developed to cross the blood-brain-barrier at a much higher rate. It is way more effective in the brain and antagonizes glutamate receptors, among other effects. There was a slightly pretentious thread about generic "doubts" about this translated to "certainty" about its irrelevance (as is usually the case), but the difference is very strong and simple. And the difference is not just in Magnesium Threonate itself, but also in the known limited ability of regular magnesium to affect the concentrations of magnesium in the brain.

Edited by DaveX, 19 February 2020 - 05:54 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 William Sterog

• 505 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 February 2020 - 08:52 PM

I can't take it during the day. It really knocks me off.

#4 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 10:13 PM

I use magnesium l-threonate during the day. I thought it gave more a little bit more of a "clear head".

In the future I might try it in the evening before bed. I am typically a light sleeper.

#5 Shemp999

• 30 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 February 2020 - 01:45 PM

I use magnesium l-threonate during the day. I thought it gave more a little bit more of a "clear head".

In the future I might try it in the evening before bed. I am typically a light sleeper.

What brand do you use?  Thank you in advance.

#6 experimenting

• 639 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 07:23 PM

Surprisingly, counterions matter a lot.

Even low dose of mag oxide makes my stomach feel off. Mag citrate I find quite laxative. Mag glycinate gets to my brain more, or so I feel, even though the dose of the counter ion is pretty small.

I read somewhere that this is because in the case of amino acids, the body uses the amino acid transporter, not just the mineral transporter, to absorb it. Not sure how true this is but in my experience it’s a reasonable hypothesis. Threonic acid must have some kind of special transporter that lets it permeate the brain easily.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 06:16 AM

Personally, given the option, I reach for the Mercedes-Benz of Magnesium, Magnesium L-Threonate. It's more bioavailable and has greater benefits to cognition but it actually first caught my attention for a really silly reason...

About 20 years ago, before all these silly, over-commercialized Star Wars and Star Trek movies came out there was an (actually good!) Star Trek movie called Insurrection featuring Captain Picard and the rest of the Next Generation Enterprise cast. In the movie, they were in this tense political standoff with these aliens that were using these banned, illegal space weapon called Threonate. You should watch that movie if you like science fiction and regularly supplement magnesium if you care about your Mitochondria!

si1KchABJhKiJwthEZ49xbIL:4.jpeg

Watch: Magnesium L-Threonate Review: The Mercedes-Benz of Magnesium...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sleep, magnesium

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users