• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Lavender is an FAAH inhibitor

lavender faah anadamide endocannabinoid alpha alpha waves theta theta waves eeg magl

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Serendipity

• 980 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 February 2020 - 04:41 PM

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC6521744/

Involvement of the Endocannabinoid System: In vitro Inhibition of Fatty Acid Amide Hydrolase and Monoacylglycerol Lipase Enzymes and in vivo Pre-treatment With the CB1 Receptor Antagonist AM251

In order to detect the potential implication of the endocannabinoid system in the analgesic activity of LEO, inhibition of the FAAH and MAGL enzymes was tested. LEO showed a dose-dependent response in the enzymatic bioassays (Figure 4A). The reference substance JZL 195 provided by Cayman showed a very similar profile both in the FAAH and MAGL enzymes with an IC50 value between 0.01 and 0.1 μM (Figure 4B). LEO was less potent than the inhibitor but was able to inhibit both enzymes, particularly FAAH (Figure 4A). Pre-treatment with the CB1 receptor antagonist AM251 (4 mg/kg) significantly attenuated LEO-induced anti-allodynic effect (Figure 4C).

fphar-10-00472-g004.jpg
Inhibition of fatty acid amide hydrolase (FAAH) and monoacylglycerol lipase (MAGL) performed by lavender essential oil (A) and the reference inhibitor JZL 195 (B). © Attenuation of the anti-allodynic effect FIGURE 4of LEO (100 mg/kg p.o.) by the CB1 receptor antagonist AM251 (4 mg/kg i.p.). (One-way ANOVA, F(5,59) = 24.29, p < 0.0001); *p < 0.05, ***p < 0.001 in comparison with CTRL contralateral side; °°°p < 0.001 in comparison with CTRL ipsilateral side.

I didn't want this to get lost in my own thread on amygdala tickling.

But for anyone interested in inhibiting their FAAH and increasing their endocannabinoid levels such as anandamide, look into using lavender oil.

From personal experience, I use the lavender oil pills from a well known brand in the UK called Kalms, which are taken orally/ingested as opposed to inhalation. And I can say without a doubt, and without placebo effect, they are very effective at calming the mind and thoughts.

Another note is lavender also significantly increases theta and alpha waves in all brain regions: https://www.research...trical_Activity

It is felt the effects of lavender inhalation on the brain wave activities are well demonstrated in the present study. During inhalation with lavender, the power of theta (4-8 Hz) and alpha (8-13 Hz) activities are significantly increased in all brain regions.This result is consistent with the study of Diego(8)that found after lavender inhalation that frontal alpha power was significantly increased. Furthermore, a study conducted at the University of Occupational and Environmental Health, Kitakyushu Japan(26)used changes of electroencephalogram (EEG) to measure the effects of aromas. The present study found relaxing effects with increases of alpha wave activities after administering lavender, cineol sandalwood, and alpha-pinene. The EEG evidence of relaxation can be seen in various practices such as meditation. Meditation is a way of balancing the body and the mind as well as controlling the mind to experience feelings of peace and relaxation. The study among people meditating can demonstrate similar EEG changes with lavender inhalation, which presented as an increase in theta and alpha activities in the brain during meditation(27). The increase in theta and alpha activities can also be observed even during pre-meditation states in people who frequently practice meditation(28). These results lend support that increases in theta and alpha wave activity causes a range of general relaxation effects and can be induced by a range of chemical and non chemical techniques.

No idea if this is caused by the FAAH inhibition. But is another interesting thing to note on the possible reasons lavender is mentally calming. 

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#2 Mr Serendipity

• Topic Starter
  • 980 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 February 2020 - 05:06 PM

BTW I'm no expert on reading studies or anything.

But from what I can work out from the graph, lavender oil can inhibit FAAH and MAGL enzymes around 80%. However I have no idea what human dosage for this would be required. I also have no idea what the MAGL enzyme is or what inhibiting it would do, as I haven't looked into it. My main purpose for looking into FAAH inhibitors was to increase my anadamide levels.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 11:32 AM

interesting!  but is there any evidence that FAAH and this approach to endo-cannabinoids really affect the patient or help life quality much?

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Agree x 1

#4 Mr Serendipity

• Topic Starter
  • 980 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 March 2020 - 02:49 PM

interesting!  but is there any evidence that FAAH and this approach to endo-cannabinoids really affect the patient or help life quality much?

Well from my google searches, there's a lot of talk about the possibility of inhibiting FAAH and increasing endo-cannabinoids to help people with anxiety and PTSD issues.

I've posted studies which I've found interesting in my amygdala tickling thread but I'm not going to repost them all here. 

The only thing I will post is the interesting case of the woman with the FAAH gene mutation and her behaviour:

A Scottish woman with a rare genetic mutation in her FAAH gene with resultant elevated anandamide levels was reported to be immune to anxiety, unable to experience fear and insensitive to pain. The frequent burns and cuts she suffered due to her hypoalgesia healed quicker than average.[31][32][33]

They are big statements:

1. immune to anxiety

2. unable to experience fear

3. insensitive to pain

#5 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 01:00 AM

so is Salvia[1].. even tho only at 22% in the amygdala, the authors still speculate the FAAH inhibition contributes to the anxiolytic effect.

This was 10 µg·kg−1 in mice and/or rats

#6 Galaxyshock

• 1,462 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 10:07 AM

I'll have to get myself some Lavender. In this study it was as effective as Lorazepam for general anxiety: https://pubmed.ncbi....h.gov/19962288/

Does it have to be the oil or does the whole herb work as well?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lavender, faah, anadamide, endocannabinoid, alpha, alpha waves, theta, theta waves, eeg, magl

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users