Covid19's Impact on Research

covid19

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bosharpe

• 239 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 March 2020 - 11:08 PM

Can anybody shed light or want to speculate about how the pandemic might push back longevity research?

It seems it's seriously burdening our world eccomony right now. 

#2 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 March 2020 - 12:09 PM

I think it could help they could accidentally come across something or discover new things, is that not how most things are found anyway. 

Edited by kurdishfella, 17 March 2020 - 12:10 PM.

#3 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 09:16 PM

The potential positive outcome I see is that people are going to see how fast regulatory agencies can move when they really want to.

I expect we'll see a covid-19 vaccine approved within the next 12 months.  The normal time to get a vaccine approved by the FDA in the US is ~12 years.  We're getting very little value for all that extra time and money and we're keeping valuable treatments off the market and people are suffering shorter and lower quality lives for it.

We desperately need to reduce the technological "cycle time" in medicine - the time from when a new breakthrough is conceived till when it actually available to the public.  These decade long cycle times are putting a cap on how fast medical technology can advance which is felt across all medical areas - including longevity research.

• Good Point x 3
  • like x 1

#4 Decimus

• 100 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 03:18 PM

One unfortunate fallout from this will be a financial slowdown in investment in the anti-aging space.  You’re not going to see wealthy entrepreneurs or investment funds taking risk on aging companies when their portfolios are down 30%.  There will also be a slowdown in financial support for aging research for the same reason. 

I suspect if this is mostly over by summer the net effects will be minimal though and it won’t leave massive generational “investment scars” like the 2008 financial crisis did on certain demographic groups.  

• Agree x 1

#5 orion22

• 186 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:37 AM

historically technology hasn t been affected by wars or pandemics if you agree with doctor Tyson the best thing for technology is war the first computer was invented to win a war ,nuclear energy was invented to win a war 

#6 Rocket

• 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 April 2020 - 10:46 PM

Keep in mind, this is covid number 19. There are plenty of other mutations that can happen along the way to a vaccine.

I forsee endless useless research for the almighty government grants and paychecks.
  • Agree x 3
  • Disagree x 1

#7 RWhigham

• 509 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 April 2020 - 04:35 AM

Keep in mind, this is covid number 19. There are plenty of other mutations that can happen along the way to a vaccine.

The 19 in COVID-19 stands for 2019.  :)   COVID-19 is the name of the disease, not the strain of coronavirus.

I forsee endless useless research for the almighty government grants and paychecks.

The search for a SARS coronavirus vaccine over the past 17 yrs was unsuccessful. Hopefully, after 17 yrs of scientific progress and with vastly more resources the search for a COVID-19 vaccine will succeed--only time will tell.

Edited by RWhigham, 18 April 2020 - 04:49 AM.

#8 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 05:32 PM

If COVID-19 funding goes mostly to government bureaucracies, then I am not optimistic, 95% of the money will be wasted.

Here at this forum and other rejuvenation-focused entities, we have been pounding the pavement for at least 2 decades to get more funding for life extension and rejuvenation research....to almost no avail.

Finally, private investors started to pour into the space in 2018 and 2019...now those investors are getting crushed and they are not going to receive any "goverment stimulus".

In addition, all of the rejuvenation companies I have talked to are essentially shut-down or slowed to a crawl.

In addition, there is the possibility of hyper-inflation due to all of the trillion dollar bail-outs. Rejuvenation companies and non-profits could be wiped-out. When a 5 million dollar bank account is suddenly worth 1/10 that amount, not much research will occur.

Sacrificing everything...the economy, food security, jobs, to stop a virus with (most likely) less than 1% mortality rate,  could stymie research and progress for years to come.

#9 dalack

• 68 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 May 2020 - 06:27 PM

According to this article the rich are getting richer during this Pandemic so maybe it won't stifle aging research. 

https://www.forbes.c...ericans-suffer/

• like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: covid19

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users