• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Caffeine is bad for you and does not help productivity?

coffee

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Yodaflip

• 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 03:29 PM

I saw this video on YouTube

Essentially this guy is saying that coffee/caffeine is bad for you and that it hinders productivity/focus instead of helping.

I cycle caffeine anyways but I looked through the forum and only found that longecity praises caffeine/coffee

#2 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 02:50 AM

He's literally comparing N.O.-XPLODE to Japanese sencha.  That stuff literally causes ADHD and stomach cancer.  He also argues from a very personal perspective—yes, it's unfortunate caffeine gave him some panic attacks on occasion, but no, that doesn't mean it generally depletes you or is a bad thing for everyone else.

There are plenty of studies suggesting the opposite, that caffeine upregulates dopamine receptors, that it fights Parkinson's disease, and improves attention span.

I really don't buy the dependence issue either.  I've given my tea to coffee drinkers and they say it keeps them up for days—so it must have an extraordinary amount of caffeine—but I can quit it no problem.

I don't know if it really depletes you or makes you more or less productive.  Either way I don't get much done.

• Needs references x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Futurenow

• 8 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 September 2021 - 07:23 PM

The only way to be sure how caffeine, and especially coffee is affecting you is to literally quit for a few months.
I believe there is some research indicating that with habitual use coffee's "nootropic" benefits are negative on cognitive performance tests.
Like basically everything, dose is the poison.

#4 experimenting

• 639 posts

Posted 02 October 2021 - 07:22 PM

Tea and coffee affect me rather differently.

Cold brew coffee is great-nice smooth stimulation. Makes me feel good but also a bit scatterbrained. No withdrawal issues. Would say it’s more of treat, neither helps nor hurts.

Hot brew I do not like, makes me nervous. Bothers my stomach, especially nespresso.

Black tea is very stimulating for me, and oddly makes me a bit more pain sensitive. Can also produce a weird kind of anger for me. My guess is some kind of NMDA up regulation.

Green tea I don’t have much experience with. Doesn’t really do much for me either way.

So for me it’s cold brew or nothing. Can’t be bothered to make a habit of it though.

#5 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 01:38 PM

The vast majority of studies on coffee show positive effects on mortality, no matter how much you drink.

Whether or not it is an optimal strategy for focus and energy depends upon the individual, but as for health, it is good for you, according to the research.

• WellResearched x 1

#6 Mr Matsubayashi

• 226 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 October 2021 - 08:03 AM

This is my go-to for basic dietary advice. They have a whole section on coffee and is it good/bad? It depends! 

https://www.youtube....8sc0iLpZwriMRt3

My takeaways

Don't use sugar/milk

With my genetics, one coffee in the morning will do

Use a lighter roast

Edited by Mr Matsubayashi, 15 October 2021 - 08:03 AM.

#7 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 October 2021 - 11:28 AM

How it affects one's focus is highly variable to the individual.

But it can be quite addictive though. I recently decided to go sober indefinitely to see what happens (no caffeine, nicotine nor alcohol). I've always been able to pick up and put down nicotine my whole life rather easily (smoke for a year, take 3 off) but caffeine was always a son of a bitch for me. I would have an easier time quitting benzos than caffeine (that's just me though). Longest I had gone without caffeine since I started as a teenager was 2 months. Now it's 4!

But even dependence varies a lot from person to person.

If you see a video making hyperbolic claims about supplements and drugs, and the person is making it seem like it applies to everyone, don't buy it, especially if it's a contrarian position to the established understanding. It's easier to get clicks making sweeping statements than making videos with real nuance.

#8 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 25 October 2021 - 06:47 PM

Caffeine always has a loopy affect on me where it works a day or two then I can't sleep, then it develops into minor anxiety then major anxiety. 

I don't see this as a deficit, I see it as my body not being numb to negative affects. That's a good thing and part of the process of elimination for indicating what is and isn't good for one individual to the next individual. 

Contrary to popular belief bodily sensitivity is a good thing, blunting and numbness are not. 

#9 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 June 2022 - 11:34 PM

coffee is a toxin and can help your body triggers its immune response and increase metabolism thus improving your health long term increasing all the forms of metabolisms and immune responses. Of course low doses should be used. Kind of like how playing in dirt as a kid makes you grow up with an stronger immune system. Which can result in you adapting to this after coming off .

Edited by kurdishfella, 02 June 2022 - 11:37 PM.

#10 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 07:09 PM

Alex Becker is an ex-get-rich-quick bro who gets his clicks and maintains relevance by making sensationalistic absolute generalizations. I wouldn't take him very seriously.

Cycling coffee/caffeine is a decent idea though.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 osris

• 518 posts

Posted 11 November 2023 - 05:30 PM

HEALTH BENEFITS OF CAFFEINE by ChatGPT

Introduction

Caffeine, a widely embraced stimulant, has become a subject of extensive research due to its impact on diverse aspects of human health. Beyond its influence on fundamental processes such as sleep, alertness, thinking, and memory, recent studies suggest that caffeine might also play a role in preventing skin cancer, adding another layer to its already varied health benefits.

Caffeine and Neuroprotection

Caffeine, known for blocking adenosine receptors, has shown promise in combatting age-associated neurodegenerative disorders, notably Alzheimer's disease. Its dual role as both a blocker and activator of receptors opens up possibilities for treating conditions like spinal cord injuries, strokes, and various neurodegenerative diseases. This novel approach introduces alternative perspectives on caffeine as a potential tool in neurological health.

Caffeine and Liver Health

Examining the association between coffee consumption, caffeine intake, and liver health reveals intriguing connections. Coffee consumption has been linked to lower liver fibrosis in individuals with chronic liver diseases, and research expands our understanding by exploring the potential protective effects of caffeine on liver health, particularly in conditions like nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD).

Caffeine and Type 2 Diabetes

In the realm of type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM), caffeine emerges as a potential safeguard. A meta-analysis indicates a reduced risk of T2DM with higher coffee intake, with more significant associations observed in specific groups. The dose-response relationship emphasizes the potential benefits of increased caffeine intake, offering practical insights for those seeking to lower their risk of T2DM.

Caffeine and Lifespan Extension

Beyond its impact on specific health conditions, caffeine's potential to extend lifespan comes to the forefront. Exploration of the connection between coffee and caffeine consumption and organism lifespan reinforces the idea that chronic caffeine consumption might enhance resistance to proteotoxic stress, providing potential applications in diseases like Alzheimer's and Huntington's.

Caffeine and Skin Cancer Prevention

Adding a critical dimension to caffeine's repertoire of benefits is its potential role in preventing skin cancer. Research studies suggest that caffeine may promote apoptosis in skin cells damaged by UV radiation, preventing them from turning cancerous. This protective effect extends to reducing the risk of basal cell carcinoma (BCC), a type of skin cancer.

Dosage Recommendations

Understanding the optimal dosage of caffeine is crucial for reaping its benefits while avoiding potential side effects. Research suggests that for T2DM prevention and general health benefits, an increase of about 2 cups of coffee per day may be beneficial. However, it's essential to stay within the recommended daily limit of around 400 milligrams of caffeine for most adults.

For those considering caffeine supplements, starting with lower doses and gradually increasing while monitoring individual responses is advisable. Dosages of caffeine supplements can vary, but it's generally recommended to stay within safe limits.

Caffeine Side Effects at High Dosages

While caffeine offers various health benefits, consuming it in excess can lead to side effects. At high dosages, individuals may experience symptoms such as insomnia, jitteriness, increased heart rate, and digestive issues. It's crucial to be mindful of personal tolerance levels and potential interactions with other medications.

Conclusion

In conclusion, the evolving landscape of caffeine research showcases its diverse and far-reaching positive impacts on human health. From neuroprotection to liver health, diabetes prevention, lifespan extension, and skin cancer prevention, caffeine continues to unveil its therapeutic potential. Practical considerations regarding dosage recommendations and awareness of potential side effects at high dosages provide a balanced approach to incorporating caffeine into a healthy lifestyle. As our understanding deepens, caffeine may emerge as a valuable and versatile component in preventive strategies and therapeutic interventions, contributing to overall well-being and longevity.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: coffee

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users