nutrition

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Joshua_LL

• 3 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 May 2020 - 04:36 AM

Hello,

I am hoping for some specific advice regarding nutrition, lifestyle, possible supplementation, etc. I will outline as much important information regarding my diet and lifestyle below.  Please feel more than welcome to ask any further questions for clarity.  I certainly hope this thread is in the most appropriate forum, and I apologize if not.  I acknowledge that the information I am looking for covers a relatively wide range and overlaps with several of the forums here.  Thank you very much in advance.

As mentioned in the title, I am a 31 year old male, 175 lbs, with a somewhat active but by no means perfect lifestyle.  I work 45 hrs/week at a busy grocery store, and I participate in all the physical activity that comes with such a job(lifting, stocking, moving pallets, etc.).  However, as a manager I also spend my fair time in the office doing administrative work on a computer(NEVER while seated I should mention.  Our "office" is our customer service desk area, and we do not use a chair or stool.  Nevertheless, this part of my job involves much less movement and physical activity so I thought it best to mention).  Apart from this activity, I don't get much exercise.  I walk everyday with my wife and kids(~30 min), and 3 times/week I do some simple weight lifting and squats.  I do a daily stretching routine, mainly targeted at my lower body, but also targeted at my neck and shoulders.  Finally, I spend 45-60 per day in seated meditation, and an additional 45-60 minutes walking meditation approximately 3 days a week, when time and weather allows(as I do so outside)  That's the "physical/exercise" part of my current life, now on to my diet...

It sucks, and has for many years.  I have relied on cheap, processed food for too long, and I honestly find the taste of most fruits and vegetables terrible.  However, I have recently taken small steps to better my diet. I am looking for any and all feedback.  Here are the steps I have taken to better myself(these foods I currently consume everyday):

B-fast:

2.2oz(1/2 cup) muesli

1/4 cup raw walnuts or toasted almonds

1 Tbps shelled hemp seeds

1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk

2 eggs, scrambled in a little unsalted butter

plenty of coffee(cream/sugar added)

smoothie(sometimes in the morning, sometimes evening):

1 cup frozen berry blend(straw/blue/rasp/black, no sugar added, just fruit)

1.25 cup OJ(not from concentrate)

1 scoop(~20g) Trader Joe's unflavored pea protein

2-3g matcha powder

1 Tbps NOW brewer's yeast

1 Tbsp toasted wheat germ

2 Tbsp 2% greek yogurt

1 Tbsp peanut butter

2-3 spinach leaves

lunch:

1/2 cup brown rice/quinoa/lentils/beans(I try to change this up every 2 days so I don't get too bored)

1 cup frozen broccoli, boiled for 5 min

some form of protein(baked tofu, baked chicken, or rarely lean ground beef)

PLENTY of hot sauce/fermented chiles/pickled jalepenos/etc.  I love spicy food and have rarely gone a single lunch or dinner without it in literally years.

12.5g 100% dark chocolate

I also cold brew a pitcher of plain green tea every few days that I basically use now instead of water. So several cups every day.

I take no medications or supplements(except for Vit D noted below), and have no food related allergies.  I also rarely get 8 full hours of sleep(I have 2 young kids and trouble sleeping in general)

When I run this all through Cronometer I am 100% or over on everything except b12, calcium, potassium, Vit D(I take 25mcg/1000IU every day say this is not an issue I'm assuming?), and zinc.  Any suggestions or general tips?  Any other foods I should consider adding as a daily staple?  I am considering sweet potato every 2 or 3 days, and possibly avocado daily.  Any reason(s) I should not?

What are my goals with regards to this thread?  In short, I am looking to improve my overall wellbeing and introduce small but important factors into my life that will make a difference over time.  I'm not looking for a super complex stack of supplements like some members here use, however I absolutely would be interested in a few simple, proven supplements that are generally recommended by this community.  I get that the jury is still out on plenty of supplements, but it is my understanding that there are a select few that are basically proven to be beneficial for everyone.  A good quality fish oil or something of that nature?  Similarly, I am not looking for a full body fitness plan to get "ripped" and "shredded", but what sorts of simple, at home exercise can I do to supplement my semi active lifestyle that has proven benefit over the long term?  These are the kinds of things I am looking for, and how you can best help me.  Thank you for taking the time to read this and hopefully respond, and again, please reach out with any questions or concerns I canclarify.

• like x 1

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,044 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 01:51 PM

Seems like you have most of your bases covered. There isn't a whole lot more you could do at 31 and with a family. There are always money and time considerations and trad-offs.

There isn't a lot you could do that you will notice a benefit from at your young age. Keep trying to eat a fair amount of vegetables and berries.

Maybe tweak the exercise a little to get a little HIIT once in a while.

Maybe do some intermittent fasting.

Sleep is important and while 7 to 9 hours is recommended, I have read that some people naturally function well and stay healthy with only 5 or 6 hours of sleep. I am a light sleeper and usually only get 3 to 4 hours of quality sleep (plus 2 to 3 hours of restless sleep) per night. I have taken melatonin and other natural sleep combinations (like "circadian rhythm", and "knockout") for many years. These seem to help a little.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Joshua_LL

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 June 2020 - 12:00 AM

Thank you for taking the time to respond, Mind.  I appreciate your help.

#4 protoject

• 952 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 05:51 PM

How much cream and sugar in the coffee?

Also did you know that pickled foods increase the incidence of colon cancer?

https://cebp.aacrjou...ontent/21/6/905

Abstract

Background: Ecological and experimental studies have suggested an increased risk of gastric cancer in relation to consumption of pickled vegetables in East Asia.

Methods: We conducted a meta-analysis of epidemiologic observational studies to evaluate the existing evidence. Searching PubMed, Vip Chinese Periodical, and China National Knowledge Infrastructure databases, we found a total of 60 studies, 50 case–control, and 10 prospective. We compared gastric cancer risk in pickled vegetable/food users versus nonusers (11 studies) or versus those in the lowest reported category of use (49 studies). Pooled results were computed with random-effects models.

Results: Among case–control studies, 30 showed significant increased risk and one showed significant decreased risk. Among prospective studies, two showed a significant increased risk but none showed a significant decreased risk. The OR (95% CI) was 1.52 (1.37–1.68) for the overall association, 1.56 (1.39–1.75) for case–control, and 1.32 (1.10–1.59) for cohort studies. The OR (95% CI) was 1.89 (1.29–2.77) in Korean, 1.86 (1.61–2.15) in Chinese, and 1.16 (1.04–1.29) in Japanese studies, and 1.14 (0.96–1.35) in studies from other countries. There was high heterogeneity in overall and subgroup analyses. There was little evidence for publication bias.

Conclusion: Our results suggest a potential 50% higher risk of gastric cancer associated with intake of pickled vegetables/foods and perhaps stronger associations in Korea and China.

Impact: The results of this study may offer ways to reduce the risk of gastric cancer in highly populated areas with high incidence of gastric cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev; 21(6); 905–15. ©2012 AACR.

This article is featured in Highlights of This Issue, p. 873

→ source (external link)

#5 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 September 2020 - 07:29 PM

Lol he made his account just to make this thread and he WAS Out dipped. Didn't wanna do any research himself wanted it handed to him.

I suggest 1000mg vitamin c and 8000 vitamin D for everyone and 14mg zinc daily. Vitamin E and A are good also for immune system.

And b12 for energy (since many people are low in this). So if he was still active I would've told him this. And maybe 1mg iodine.

https://www.livekind...genetic-makeup/ B12 DEFICIENCY IN 40% OF US POPULATION PROVES CONCERN IS NOT JUST FOR VEGANS

Edited by kurdishfella, 23 September 2020 - 07:35 PM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#6 Lady4T

• 117 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 September 2020 - 03:47 AM

I'll offer my usual advice:  Eat real food.

That means no processed food, no sugar and no seed oils. And preferably, no grains -- especially wheat.

• Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nutrition

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users