- - - - -

mTOR inhibitors and muscle mass

rapamycin mtor fasting ketosis

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NickNick

• 21 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 11:09 PM

In order to reduce mTOR, I am doing a low carb diet plus a weekly 36 hour fast. I am also considering taking spermadine or rapamycin. 

My concern it that if I reduce mTOR, would I be in a permanently catabolic state that will lead to loss of muscle mass? If this is true then perhaps cycling between longer periods of low mTOR and shorter periods of high mTOR might be a good idea. Giving the body and anabolic period that can be used to build muscle.  

• like x 2

#2 protoject

• 952 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 06:19 PM

I don't know much about this, is there some way i can trigger a constant high mTor level, if my body is constantly bordering on catabolysis and lack of appetite? I'm borderline underweight mostly all the time and have no appetite whatsoever

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 green

• 5 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 03:25 AM

I wondered whether a mostly catabolic, intermittent fasting diet would decrease muscle mass. That has not been the case for me. Muscle mass has been constant

My diet is full of substances that  may stimulate autophagy:  The diet is mostly vegan: fruit, vegetables and nuts,  and pea protein blend drink.  It is very high in white tea, cocoa, walnuts. berries, apples, pomegranate, hibiscus tea and beet juice.

I do have about two eggs a week and I am experimenting with whey protein a couple of times a week for protein variety, both of which may be anabolic.  I also take citrulline malate which may be anabolic.

As far as daily protein goes, I am probably on the low side.  I am guessing 1/2 gram per pound of bodyweight.  Two days every 8 days, I have only one daily meal.  The rest of the time I have two large meals daily in an 8 hour window.

I do lift weights often (which may promote IGF),  I do sauna three times a weeks (which may promote IGF), and I run three times a week (for 30 minutes), which may decrease muscle mass.

In theory, there may be a trade off between healthy food and muscle mass, but it has not been the case for me.  But then again, I am not a competitive bodybuilder.  I have also been lifting weights for more than 20 years.  So it's all relative

I think the best thing is to experiment to see what works for you. Cycling your regimen sounds like a good idea.   Too much of a good thing, whether it be a nutrient, exercise,  or fasting is likely harmful.  For example, too much water will kill you.  Therefore, too much MTOR inhibition may not be a good thing. If you rely on foods that inhibit MTOR as opposed to supplements or drugs that inhibit MTOR, I would guess that you face a lower risk of going too far with your protocol.

Edited by green, 09 November 2020 - 03:27 AM.

#4 TranscendingSingularity

• 26 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 06:05 PM

Rapamycin and rapalogs are the obvious way to decrease mTOR significantly. I doubt if there is anything else coming even close..

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rapamycin, mtor, fasting, ketosis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users