• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Racetam/nootropic for possibly choline-related cognition problems in major depression

depression cognition nootropics brain fog

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 obscurity

• 2 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 June 2020 - 02:10 PM

Hello everyone,

I am looking to try a racetam or other nootropic for my cognitive problem associated with depression. I have been struggling with it for a long time and tried many things for it (also under medical supervision). The only thing that kinda helped was Amitriptyline (mainly for the fatigue). However, my cognitive problems are still unbearable when it comes to studying or reading in general. Above a certain level, I am just not able to understand sentences and to classify the information in there. Before MDD, that was no problem and still, I very seldomly have times where I am able to read properly, but just for like 30 minutes.

Even Ritalin or Adderall don't really help. They make me focus better, e.g. when it comes to meditation (which I practice a lot), but not text comprehension.

Recently, I have tried Alpha GPC. I knew that Alpha GPC can make you depressed, but I just wanted to give it a try (especially because Amitriptyline is pretty antimuscarinic). Anyway, within a few days of taking 300 to 600 mg I was extremely foggy, forgetful and tired, but it disappeared as quickly as it came after stopping. I tried a lower dose with maybe 100 to 200 mg later, but same results after a few days.
Interestingly, it felt very much the same like my experience with Bupropion. For two weeks, Bupropion was improving my depression a lot (cognition as well as fatigue), but then it just made me very foggy, even more so right after increasing the dose further and I was better off of it. The connection here is that Bupropion antagonizes some nicotinic Acetylcholinereceptors. It might not be the antagonism itself but ratjer the delayed receptor upregulation, even though then it should have been temporarily better when increasing the dose. It is somewhat hard to draw conclusions from that, since the cholinergic system is very complex and sometimes seems to behave paradoxical.

Anyway, I read that certain people who had a bad response to choline-supplementation respond well to racetams (never taken something like that). So I would like to try a racetam that is most representative for my circumstances. Piracetam would be the classic, but seems a bit hard to get in europe. I read that Aniracetam helps with depression and anxiety (I am personally not really struggling with anxiety), but it does not seem to influence acetylcholine. It might improve holistic thinking though. Other options I have seen are Oxiracetam, Phenylpiracetam, Pramiracetam, Coluracetam and more. Phenylpiracetam is said to be a bit stimulating which sounds good, but I don't know whether that helps my text comprehension.
Something else that may be tried would be Lions Mane or NSI-189. I want to add that my first try in this area does not necessarily have to be a long time solution, just something you can draw conclusions from to improve my cognition.

Any ideas or experiences in that matter? Thanks in advance!

Edited by obscurity, 14 June 2020 - 02:10 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: depression, cognition, nootropics, brain fog

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users