Song Stuck Syndrome - PLEASE HELP!!

depersonalization song stuck syndrome ocd anxiety intrusive thoughts

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DividedMind2008

• 35 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 June 2020 - 04:12 PM

This is what I've been dealing with since November of last year during a period of heavy stress at a new job (which I since left).

This is in addition to my Chronic Depersonalization, OCD, and anxiety - which has been managed with Luvox, Klonopin, and Lamictal.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC6233206/

https://www.medpaget...sychiatry/76423

http://www.ijpm.info...5;aulast=Naskar

One of the case studies cites that Prozac may be more effective then my current SSRi (luvox) due to its affect on - 

In contrast to paroxetine and fluvoxamine, fluoxetine not only inhibits serotonin reuptake, but also has norepinephrine reuptake inhibition and serotonin 2C (5HT2C) antagonist actions. Early research suggests that the 5HT2C receptor may have a role in OCD, which may help account for its effectiveness in this case.10

Should I change my SSRi? Any supplements help with this?

#2 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 04:34 PM

This is in addition to my Chronic Depersonalization, OCD, and anxiety - which has been managed with Luvox, Klonopin, and Lamictal.

Consider the possibility, that the new stuck song syndrome is only an individual side-effect of this combination of pharmaceuticals.

This is in addition to my Chronic Depersonalization, OCD, and anxiety

I only got to know these painful states of mind, including their visualizations and also song stuck syndrome, through extensive mindfulness practice. A practice like daily gym for developing equanimity. If that succeeds, the identification and self-perpetuation is cut. But may take years, if not lifes.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 DividedMind2008

• Topic Starter
  • 35 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 June 2020 - 05:40 PM

Consider the possibility, that the new stuck song syndrome is only an individual side-effect of this combination of pharmaceuticals.

I only got to know these painful states of mind, including their visualizations and also song stuck syndrome, through extensive mindfulness practice. A practice like daily gym for developing equanimity. If that succeeds, the identification and self-perpetuation is cut. But may take years, if not lifes.

I"m not sure if that is a possibility. I've been on this combination of medication since 2009 - and never had an issue.

I do not practice mindfulness - I do go thru hypnosis sessions with my LCSW - I do exercise pretty regularly which is a great grounding technique.

Years I have...lifes I don't...

I'm not even sure how many years I have considering. And if this continues I"m not sure If I'd want to live out those years.

#4 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 06:07 PM

Years I have...lifes I don't...

.. And if this continues I"m not sure If I'd want to live out those years.

I understand, and hope you don't err in things impossible to know before.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#5 DividedMind2008

• Topic Starter
  • 35 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 June 2020 - 06:45 PM

I"m really struggling with this. And after keeping my depersonalization in check for all of these years I wonder why I have to go thru this now.

Depersonalizaiton is a very difficult thing to explain and for people to understand - if i was not so well versed then i would not have been able to explain it to the doctors correctly and therefore would likely have been institutionalized as it mimics symptoms of so many illnesses. 

The only medication I've added to my regimen in the recent years is modafinil - and i take it every other day. I like how it makes me feel as it tends to give me this "lifting" effect.... I"m far less sedentary and far less depressed. it does help with focus, motivation, and even the intrusive thoughts. But on days like today (i took it about 3 hours ago) i still have the song stuck syndrome. Whenever my mind has even a chance or a split second to wander it goes there....and thats in addition to my regular "self"....so I"m thinking how do i stop this while the songs are playing and my own thoughts are in there as well...its extremely difficult. 

#6 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 10:08 PM

....so I"m thinking how do i stop this while the songs are playing and my own thoughts are in there as well...its extremely difficult. 

It is difficult to disengage with songs and thoughts. However, failing to disengage will lead to endless self-perpetuation.

#7 DividedMind2008

• Topic Starter
  • 35 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 June 2020 - 04:14 PM

It is difficult to disengage with songs and thoughts. However, failing to disengage will lead to endless self-perpetuation.

Agreed.

I typically do just ignore them. I find it hard to ignore when a song is playing in my head and I"m talking to someone (seriously). Finding a good distraction and "carrying" that sense of self / thoughts over is a good tactic also. Its just hard. I shouldn't have to deal with this shit.

#8 Consequences

• 43 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 September 2020 - 01:16 AM

I've had this my whole life and, apparently, so have most of the population they call it "earworms" and there's a list of songs that are the most popular ones... basically all of Lady Gaga's songs. It's actually theorized they are done on purpose with subliminals inside.

Anyway a few years of "formless mediation" later I can stop the music whenever I like for however long I hold a sliver of attention on the silence for.

Formless being nothingness ie sitting in the void / silence in between thoughts as you progress the silence gets longer eventually you can go straight into the void and just sit there, it's very blissful.

#9 DividedMind2008

• Topic Starter
  • 35 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 September 2020 - 04:39 PM

I've had this my whole life and, apparently, so have most of the population they call it "earworms" and there's a list of songs that are the most popular ones... basically all of Lady Gaga's songs. It's actually theorized they are done on purpose with subliminals inside.

Anyway a few years of "formless mediation" later I can stop the music whenever I like for however long I hold a sliver of attention on the silence for.

Formless being nothingness ie sitting in the void / silence in between thoughts as you progress the silence gets longer eventually you can go straight into the void and just sit there, it's very blissful.

Wow. I can't believe you've dealt with this that long. Much respect for dealing with it the way that you did and many blessings and thanks for your response.

I was actually getting to a point where the thoughts were going more and more in the background and were not as bothersome....so about a week ago I titrated my Luvox down 50mg and I've had the songs playing constantly throughout the night and otherwise since then. I've had a few other things happen also so it may not just be the Luvox but I'm going to go back up 50mg to stop this. I'll try meditation also.

Thanks again.

#10 DividedMind2008

• Topic Starter
  • 35 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 September 2020 - 04:41 PM

When you refer to the combination of medications? I've been on this combination since 2009 so its hard for me to correlate it to that although it is possible. If that's the case and I had to change my medication regimen - what could i change it to? I've referred above the study in which some people had more luck with prozac given its affect on other receptors... but otherwise I don't know what i could substitute for the klonopin or lamictal.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#11 Consequences

• 43 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 September 2020 - 11:57 PM

When you meditate, watch the flow/stream of thoughts. There will be gaps between them they might be 0.0001s large but they are there. As you notice the gaps just...give the gaps your attention.

Over time the gaps between thoughts will get bigger and bigger and eventually there will be very little thoughts and 99% gaps. When you can do this you can "manifest" the gap - the void - and when you get earworms you can switch your focus to the void and the earworm will fade. YMMV.

Of course this will take many hours of meditation and of course by then the phenomenon should be inconsequential compared to the other realizations you will have like how you are the observer of your entire reality and how you can detach from the observer...jnana states, etc.

Or you can shortcut all this and just take lsd/mushrooms and meditate eyes closed...I have not yet tried psychedelics I did it the hard way...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: depersonalization, song stuck syndrome, ocd, anxiety, intrusive thoughts

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users