- - - - -

1 in 8 recovered COVID hospital patients die within 140 days

coronavirus

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Hip

• 2,356 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 01:21 AM

Leicester University studied 47,780 COVID patients who survived their acute coronavirus infection and were discharged from hospital.

They found 29% returned to hospital within 140 days, and 12% per cent died within 140 days.

Source: here.

Edited by Hip, 20 January 2021 - 01:21 AM.

• Informative x 2

#2 Ariarule

• 1 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 January 2021 - 04:52 AM

More details on the original research seems to be at this article on MedArxiv, Epidemiology of post-COVID syndrome following hospitalisation with coronavirus

• like x 1

#3 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 05:11 AM

Looks like this study was limited to the UK, where similar to other "highly evolved" Western countries patients receive no outpatient therapeutics.  

While the rest of the world boldly try to keep their patients out of hospital, US, UK & much of the EU still have absolutely nothing to offer other than isolating at home until you start turning blue before any medical effort will be made to prevent you from catastrophic deterioration.  No wonder we're suffering catastrophic case fatality rates, permanent disabilities and latent complications and death.  

Jan 20 is the first anniversary of the first COVID patient in the USA, & we're still waiting for Gates/Wellcome/WHO to finance the only "evidence" we're willing to even look at before doctors are allowed to prescribe anything.  The ginormous multi-million dollar, multi-center, double blind, placebo controlled trial, developed by Big Pharma to keep anyone & everyone out of the game except themselves.  Will they even get around to looking at ivermectin this year?  Or will the focus remain, vaccines, vaccines, vaccines.  

2 million dead around the world, with 400K in the US alone.  More chatter about new viral variants escaping current vaccines.  Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think doctors would still be paralyzed with fear about prescribing historically safe medications with substantial evidence for benefit over a year into a pandemic.  

I've said it before & I'll say it again.  I'm not frightened by death, but I would love to live to see how history will treat the historic blunders made in the Western world during the first year of this pandemic.  Will Dr NO (Fauci) really go down in history as one of the Gods of 21st Century pandemic medicine?  Or will all be invited to spit on his grave one day for his obsession with remdesivir and disdain for any outpatient therapeutic other than vaccine?  

We live in interesting times!  

Edited by Dorian Grey, 20 January 2021 - 05:13 AM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 3
  • Well Written x 2
  • like x 2
  • Agree x 1

#4 Hip

• Topic Starter
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 03:23 PM

In terms of the COVID death statistics, are these delayed deaths actually recorded as caused by coronavirus?

I believe in the UK, a patient is recorded as dying of coronavirus if they have the symptoms and their death occurred within 28 days of a positive coronavirus test. So that suggests that these delayed deaths which appear up to 140 days after leaving hospital may not be recorded as COVID deaths. 

If they are not recorded as coronavirus deaths, then my simple calculation below shows that the number of deaths due to coronavirus will be more than double the official COVID death figures given in each country.

Here is my calculation:

Survival rate in hospitals are have improved since the first wave of the pandemic starting in March 2021. This is believed due to the discovery of better treatments. 

In March, the survival rate once you entered hospital was 72%, but as time progressed, by June the survival rate improved to 93%. Ref: here.

So for calculation purposes, let's say that 1 in 10 who are hospitalized die.

In the UK, there are currently around 91,000 COIVD deaths in total. So presumably that means in the UK, around 10 x 91,000 =  910,000 people were hospitalized for COVID to date.

And if 1 in 8 hospitalized patients who recover from their acute infection later die within 140 days of leaving hospital, that means there are another 910,000 ÷ 8 = 114,000 delayed coronavirus deaths.

So in the UK, we to date there have been 91,000 deaths from COIVD that occurred within 28 days of a positive test, and another 114,000 delayed coronavirus deaths that occurred up to 140 days later.

Edited by Hip, 20 January 2021 - 03:24 PM.

• Ill informed x 2
  • like x 2

#5 Rocket

• 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 January 2021 - 02:06 AM

No kidding? Here is a fact: covid affects the elderly and elderly people die. That's why all the covid numbers are not telling you the truth. Even if covid hadn't appeared most of the deaths would have still occurred... From ailments of old age.In fact the overwhelming number of deaths would have still occurred.

I am married into the medical community and my wife does Er medicine at one of the best hospitals in the US and none of the doctors, pa's, and nurses have fallen fornthe hoax and are the biggest violates of mask rules and social distancing rules when no one is looking over their shoulders.
  • Good Point x 3
  • Needs references x 1
  • Cheerful x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#6 Hip

• Topic Starter
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 02:13 AM

No kidding? Here is a fact: covid affects the elderly and elderly people die. That's why all the covid numbers are not telling you the truth. Even if covid hadn't appeared most of the deaths would have still occurred... From ailments of old age.In fact the overwhelming number of deaths would have still occurred.

Your argument has been demolished in the COVID threads on this forum.

Basically the excess death data shows the argument to be false. Look up coronavirus excess death.  

Older people will eventually die, but would have had 1 to 3 more decades of life (depending whether they are in their 60 or 80s) had coronavirus not curtailed their existence prematurely.

• Agree x 2
  • Ill informed x 2
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#7 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 07:45 AM

That is the strange way of acknowledging the drastic increase of death-rates that is well documented in Europe and the US. 

• like x 1

#8 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,212 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 06:13 AM

May someone post a link to the published article (if published yet)?

https://www.medrxiv....1.15.21249885v1

"This article is a preprint and has not been peer-reviewed [what does this mean?]. It reports new medical research that has yet to be evaluated and so should not be used to guide clinical practice."

Edited by seivtcho, 23 January 2021 - 06:16 AM.

#9 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,212 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 06:17 AM

E.g. don't believe that yet

#10 joelcairo

• 586 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 March 2021 - 07:59 PM

I don't find this data to be very surprising. Being discharged from the hospital doesn't mean you're 100% better. The doctors would probably want to send you home even if you were still positive for COVID-19, as long as your condition had stabilized.

• Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: coronavirus

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users