- - - - -

Supplements for muscle weakness / "leaky calcium channels"

leaking calcium channels frailty sarcopenia musle weakness

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Believer

• 437 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 09:06 AM

My father has age-related muscle weakness independent of muscle mass. We've tried and tested various things including:

1. Increasing growth hormone/IGF-1 levels

(Worked only very little)

2. Increasing mitochondrial count/activity/function.

3. Increasing sex hormones like testosterone via injections

Now it seems the problem may be, besides loss of nerve cells, "leaky calcium channels".

What supplements/actions can target "leaky calcium channels" in aging?

#2 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 01 March 2021 - 10:17 AM

Is it possibly drug related? Has your father ever used drugs known to be destructive to mitochondria? Has he ever used statins?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Believer

• Topic Starter
  • 437 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 10:29 AM

Nope, he has never used any pharmaceuticals except asthma spray (life-long) and more recently, for a very short while on and off he has been using a blood pressure lowering medication and blood thinner. But the weakness existed long before he began these medications.

#4 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 01 March 2021 - 11:36 AM

Nope, he has never used any pharmaceuticals except asthma spray (life-long) and more recently, for a very short while on and off he has been using a blood pressure lowering medication and blood thinner. But the weakness existed long before he began these medications.

Mitochondrial dysfunction is a known source of asthma, and possibly they drive each other.

aging and animal model studies have revealed that mitochondrial dysfunction and oxidative stress are involved and play a large role in asthma.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC3066010/

Regardless of etiology, if it is mitochondrial related, then he can do something about it -- sometime more than just increasing mitochondrial count. Apart from genetic problems, mitochondria can suffer two types of dysfunction: mutations and epimutations. Mutations can get ahead of cellular QC and build up, while epimutations seem immune to QC. Both types can reduce ATP, resulting in weakness. I've described (and tested) a simple, cyclic protocol for eliminating damaged mitochondria (damaged mtDNA, actually) in this post. Give it a look.

#5 Believer

• Topic Starter
  • 437 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 12:51 PM

If fasting works almost as well as growth hormone, igf-1 and testosterone, what would that suggest?

Autophagy?

#6 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 01 March 2021 - 12:58 PM

If fasting works almost as well as growth hormone, igf-1 and testosterone, what would that suggest?

Autophagy?

The cyclic protocol I linked to above uses mitophagy, and it will be far more efficient than fasting.

Edited by Turnbuckle, 01 March 2021 - 12:59 PM.

#7 Believer

• Topic Starter
  • 437 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 01:46 PM

I will be looking into your protocol.

Urolithin A is supposed to do some of the same (mitophagy). Have you tried it, had success with it?

#8 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 10:26 PM

Is it possible, in some cases, that senolytic muscle cells could drive excessive catabolism? In that case a course of Fisetin or your choice of senolytics may help.
As an aside, what is his blood albumin level and also fasting glucose? Protein supplement may be needed.
Perhaps Lion's mane for nerve degeneration would help. ?

Seprmidine has proven problematic for me in that it seems to overstimulate vagus nerve or directly irritate my stomach (even diluted) causing stomach pain.
But I am using the pure stuff from RHI at 8mg (one drop in juice).
However, this study is interesting

Spermidine coupled with exercise rescues skeletal muscle atrophy from D-gal-induced aging rats through enhanced autophagy and reduced apoptosis via AMPK-FOXO3a signal pathway
https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC5392263/

#9 Rocket

• 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 March 2021 - 02:17 AM

It would be helpful to know dads age, height, and weight. Also HGH and igf1 do not increase strength in even 30yo bodybuilders. All they do is promote growth of new cells. Androgen like T do not increase strength in medical doses.... You need at least 500mg of T a week coupled with weight training and protein intake to increase strength... You need to lift weights and consume protein to increase strength. Strength is also directly related to nerve health and recruiting muscle cells to do work.

Building strength takes time and EFFORT that most people don't want to subject themselves to. There's no pill that will do the trick.

I don't know your dad but a lifetime of being sedentary is a big hurdle to overcome at 80.

#10 motorcitykid

• 276 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 02:53 AM

I will be looking into your protocol.

Urolithin A is supposed to do some of the same (mitophagy). Have you tried it, had success with it?

I've been using urolithin-A for six months and am pleasantly surprised that I have upped my baseline in strength and endurance. Noticeable improvements in both areas (strength not quite as much as endurance). I use the classic full leg squat as a metric for both strength and endurance.

I added fermented wheat germ about two months ago and I've noticed even more of an improvement in both areas(although slight). FWG also helps with recovery. Currently using Avemar but will soon switch to a less pricey alternative.

I would describe myself as athletic and in overall good condition.

Important to mention that I've also been taking Berberine (mitophagic), resveratrol and sulforaphane (myostatin inhibition) for quite some time - not sure how much these play into the abovementioned improvements if at all. 

Edited by motorcitykid, 02 March 2021 - 03:00 AM.

#11 Believer

• Topic Starter
  • 437 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 02:56 AM

Unfortunately I cannot edit the OP to add the info

76 years old, 180cm height and 100kg in weight. A year ago he was wasting away at an old people's home, he couldn't gain weight but we decided that it would be better if he lived with family instead of wasting away at such a place.

He "exercises" every day at home although the exercise at home is as much as he can do and is very little compared to a young man.

Twice a week he meets with a personal trainer in a gym and he does various exercises including "leg press machine" 100kg to 150kg. As said his muscle mass size is good for his age.

So what's the problem if he can leg press his own body weight or more?

He can't walk, he claims. He sits in a wheelchair and is quite immobile.

He claims his body is too weak for him to walk.

I think some of it is a brain-related fatigue rather than muscle fatigue.

Mind you his left body is also "frozen" from a brain bleed over a year ago (BEFORE HORMONES/SUPPLEMENTS)

#12 Rocket

• 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 March 2021 - 01:48 AM

Unfortunately I cannot edit the OP to add the info
76 years old, 180cm height and 100kg in weight. A year ago he was wasting away at an old people's home, he couldn't gain weight but we decided that it would be better if he lived with family instead of wasting away at such a place.
He "exercises" every day at home although the exercise at home is as much as he can do and is very little compared to a young man.
Twice a week he meets with a personal trainer in a gym and he does various exercises including "leg press machine" 100kg to 150kg. As said his muscle mass size is good for his age.

So what's the problem if he can leg press his own body weight or more?
He can't walk, he claims. He sits in a wheelchair and is quite immobile.
He claims his body is too weak for him to walk.
I think some of it is a brain-related fatigue rather than muscle fatigue.
Mind you his left body is also "frozen" from a brain bleed over a year ago (BEFORE HORMONES/SUPPLEMENTS)

This sounds neurological... So sorry to hear about this. I would focus less on weight training and more on cardio and getting his nervous system in the habit of moving. That's the best i can offer. Can he tolerate caffeine before exercise?

Just occurred to me i used to take a supplement with citruline prior to exercise that gave me a lot of energy. Cheap, plentiful and it works.

Edited by Rocket, 24 March 2021 - 01:53 AM.

• Good Point x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#13 Believer

• Topic Starter
  • 437 posts

Posted 26 October 2022 - 09:54 PM

I was thinking, would gaba supplement work since when taken orally it works on muscle but not brain and potentially it could protect against damage to muscle cells from calcium channels?

gonna try this tomorrow

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: leaking calcium channels, frailty, sarcopenia, musle weakness

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users