Some doubts about holy basil/tulsi and ashwagandha

anxiety testosterone

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 faxmulder

• 101 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 11:27 AM

Hi guys,

I'm taking holy basil since ten days and it seems it's helping me with anxiety/overthinking/rumination, focus and allergies. I'm noticing also a reduction of scalp inflammation and itching (I have an autoimmune disease).

I was wondering if holy basil's anti-fertility and LH reduction effects are reversible after cessation or not.

I've seen that also ashwagandha is often advised for anxiety issues, but I've read that sometimes it could lead to anhedonia and/or loss of motivation after extended usage. What's your opinion? How does it compare to holy basil?

Thanks a lot!
  • like x 1

#2 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 11:53 AM

I'm taking holy basil since ten days and it seems it's helping me with anxiety/overthinking/rumination, focus and allergies. I'm noticing also a reduction of scalp inflammation and itching (I have an autoimmune disease).

I'm one of those odd ones who don't suffer anxiety, nor to I really mention any direct effects by most herbs or supplements. In the long term, comprehensive supplementation did give me remission from usually considered non-reversible chronic diseases (PAD, COPD, ME/CFS symptoms).

I was wondering if holy basil's anti-fertility and LH reduction effects are reversible after cessation or not.

Had my first LH tested in 2011 at 2.4 IU/ml (1.5 - 12 nomal range). After started with holy basil (and ashwaganda) and it increased its dose, and LH steadily up to 6 IU/ml in 2019 (my latest test).

I've read that sometimes it could lead to anhedonia and/or loss of motivation after extended usage. What's your opinion? How does it compare to holy basil?

Using both at high doses (ashwaganda up to 2g and its extract up to 0.9g; holy basil up to 1g and its extract up to 0.8g; since about 8 years) with no direct but only long term effects, really have no idea.

I never lost motivation, otherwise I would since long given up my decate-long efforts against chronic diseases.

• Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 faxmulder

• Topic Starter
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 12:45 PM

I'm one of those odd ones who don't suffer anxiety, nor to I really mention any direct effects by most herbs or supplements. In the long term, comprehensive supplementation did give me remission from usually considered non-reversible chronic diseases (PAD, COPD, ME/CFS symptoms).

Had my first LH tested in 2011 at 2.4 IU/ml (1.5 - 12 nomal range). After started with holy basil (and ashwaganda) and it increased its dose, and LH steadily up to 6 IU/ml in 2019 (my latest test).

Using both at high doses (ashwaganda up to 2g and its extract up to 0.9g; holy basil up to 1g and its extract up to 0.8g; since about 8 years) with no direct but only long term effects, really have no idea.

I never lost motivation, otherwise I would since long given up my decate-long efforts against chronic diseases.

Thanks man for your feedback - very interesting. Which brand were you using for holy basil and ash? Did you cycle them or supplement always during these years? May I ask which other supplements did you take?

#4 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 03:36 PM

Most consistently Adrenal Energy formula by LEF (contains ashwagandha, cordyceps, brahmi and tulsi), by Himalaya company. Also Swanson or bulk powders.

Naturally had an higher intake always when for my yearly 5-6 weeks vacation in India. There also getting it from fermented herbal wines. Which was also when I felt a slight direct effect of making me tired, therefore taking most towards the evening. Helped cyrcadian rhytm.

As said, due to my chronic chonditions I supplement comprehensively, retold here: https://www.longecit...nal-remissions/

Edited by pamojja, 12 April 2021 - 03:37 PM.

#5 faxmulder

• Topic Starter
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 07:15 PM

Most consistently Adrenal Energy formula by LEF (contains ashwagandha, cordyceps, brahmi and tulsi), by Himalaya company. Also Swanson or bulk powders.

Naturally had an higher intake always when for my yearly 5-6 weeks vacation in India. There also getting it from fermented herbal wines. Which was also when I felt a slight direct effect of making me tired, therefore taking most towards the evening. Helped cyrcadian rhytm.

As said, due to my chronic chonditions I supplement comprehensively, retold here: https://www.longecit...nal-remissions/

thanks a lot man! I'll investigate in Adrenal Energy and the other supplements in your post.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 04:01 PM

I'll investigate in Adrenal Energy and the other supplements in your post.

Actually I completely dislike proprietary formulas, like Adrenal Energy, for hiding the amounts of their content. However, in this case when it came out LEF-magazine had an article in which they mentioned the studies with the amounts who had effects. And those together where exactly the total amount in their proprietary blend in Adrenal Energy.

Accordingly 1 cap should contain 262 mg Ashwagandha ext., 187mg Cordiceps ext. and 66mg Bacopa ext., Along with the 300mg of Holy Basil ext.

Edited by pamojja, 13 April 2021 - 04:02 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anxiety, testosterone

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users