Food sources of supplement-dosage nutrients

supplements food

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 StephCThomp

• 78 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 May 2021 - 02:22 AM

I am starting this thread to collect a list of natural food sources of specific nutrients that contain as much (or almost) as found in supplements

I am doing this because I want to cut back my supplement habit.  I am consuming too many tablet fillers etc and believe this is bad for my gut.

Please contribute what you know about foods that are uniquely dense in a specific nutrient AND practical to consume in the required quantity on a daily or very regular basis.  (Please don't post what you've heard or believe, but only what you are very confident is actually true :) )

For example...

• Brazil nuts contain enough Selenium to replace supplements by eating just 2 to 4.
  • Oysters contain an incredibly large amount of Zinc and Copper...BUT they are not a very practical inclusion in a daily diet.
  • Anthocyanins are easy to get from deep blue-purple foods like berries and 'Midnight Blue' potatoes

Are there foods that contain Magnesium amounting to at least 200-300 mg per day?

Are there foods that contain Vitamin C in 500mg quantities or more?

Edited by StephCThomp, 01 May 2021 - 02:23 AM.

• like x 1

#2 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 01 May 2021 - 12:47 PM

I am consuming too many tablet fillers etc and believe this is bad for my gut..

..Are there foods that contain Vitamin C in 500mg quantities or more?

Acerola dried powder has the highest 13% vitamin c content. So you had to eat 43 gram of that powder every day!

While 99,9% pure ascorbic acid powder doesn't has any fillers, and at a tiny fraction of acerola's price.

Are there foods that contain Magnesium amounting to at least 200-300 mg per day?

200-300 ml of this magnesium-rich mineral water does: ''https://en.m.wikiped...g/wiki/Donat_Mg

Ginger powder at 2.5% percent gingerols almost has as many as most Ginger-extract supplements at 5%.

Parsley powder contains 0.3% apigenin, which which its easy to get supplemental amounts.

All essential vitamins and minerals, as long as they aren't needed in therapeutic doses, are easy to get with only 1 tablet/capsule as a multi. Some are produced with the least harmful fillers.

• Good Point x 2
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Captain Obvious

• 82 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 May 2021 - 12:38 PM

Wheat germ is very high in spermidine and is very easy to consume in yoghurts, smoothies or mixed with muesli.

• Agree x 1

#4 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 May 2021 - 07:27 PM

I think it is very hard to get enough Vitamin C (≈1000mg), D (≈8000 IU) and Zinc (≈20mg) from food alone unless they have been fortified which I don't think they do. And some other unknown ones.

Edited by kurdishfella, 04 May 2021 - 07:33 PM.

• Agree x 1

#5 brasscupcakes

• 9 posts

Posted 01 October 2021 - 02:43 AM

Unfortunately the amount of selenium in Brazil nuts bounces all over the map, depending on what regional soil they were grown in. 

Also, unshelled are dramatically more potent than shelled. 

There are some pubmed studies about this, detailing how the high selenium content is because they are grown in areas where there is high content in the soil (but these areas only represent a small percentage of where Brazil nuts are grown). 

I am sure it is conceivable to obtain the "right" brazil nuts but I found it impossible to just order a bag of the right kind off of Amazon and have them delivered to my door. Even the listings that included country of origin didn't specify which area of the country.

Also, the Amazon listings are all very deceptively phrased to make it exceptionally difficult to compare one bag of nuts to another. 

Note: Back when i was a stupid teenager and bought all my food in a health food store, I got into a raging argument with a nutritionist author who was signing books there over his claim that it was possible to buy supermarket orange juice with virtually no Vitamin C in it, despite the nutritional information on the label. I didn't want to hear that at all. But I later learned he was correct. 

I fear getting nutrients from food isn't super-easy. For example, when I used to be dairy free, I thought I could get all my calcium from sesame, but sesame varied a lot and the means of preparation along with the rest of your diet influenced how much of that calcium would be bioavailable. 

This is still a very useful post, don't get me wrong, but if you are actually trying to address a nutrient deficiency rather than to just keep all your bases covered, you will have to do a lot of research to be reasonably sure you can get it strictly through food intake. 

• Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 Richard Grasy

• 9 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 October 2021 - 08:26 AM

I also take a sip of apple cider vinegar diluted with a glass of water every day. It tastes like shit, but it works wonders at keeping you from bloating.

I have no experience with fish oil supplement, but I do take 20 grams of flax and sesame seeds daily for omega 3 and 6 with no noticeable effects.

I don’t mind! Additives, they make life much better! Therefore, I take vitamin b12 5000 mcg (i choose brands that reduce liquid form, 1-2 drops under the tongue)    every 2-3 days , which significantly changes the rules of the game. It felt like I had been behind a wall of fog all day compared to what I took for 1 week. You feel more energized, and everything becomes easier during the day. Just my experience.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: supplements, food

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users