• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Lower TC but unchanged HDL/LDL after a diet intervention -- how to interpret?

cholesterol

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ukw

• 22 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 May 2021 - 04:20 AM

For about 2 years I've had a healthier diet than before: more tea, more beans, and more lycopene (tomato products). My physical exertion level remains unchanged and is low.

My bloodwork shows that I've significantly improved my TC but not my HDL or LDL. Actually, whatever tiny gains have occurred in LDL have been offset by a small deterioration in HDL.

Total Cholesterol: 190 -> 178

HDL: 38 -> 36

LDL: 121 -> 118

I've clearly had a decrease in TC but no changes on the granular level. Does that have some meaning?

#2 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 08:53 AM

These changes you observed are within normal fluctuations without dietary changes. What have your triglicerides been?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ukw

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 May 2021 - 02:37 AM

There have been dietary changes like I said. Did you read what I wrote? My diet is even healthier than it was before. And I do see that TC has changed significantly, so it wasn't completely without impact. But i'm puzzled by the unchanged HDL/LDL ratio.

I didn't get the latest triglycerides.

Edited by ukw, 29 May 2021 - 02:37 AM.

#4 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 29 May 2021 - 07:11 AM

Did you read what I wrote?

Yes, but you obviously didn't understand what I wrote. These are normal even daily fluctuations, with or without dietary changes. The next time you test it might have changed in the opposite direction even multiples (with or without dietery changes).

30 up or down in LDL without any changes in diet are absolutely normal. Within 13 years of testing I saw TC 25 going up or down, LDL 35 and HDL 10 on exactly the same diet.

Does that have some meaning?

Therefore such small changes as in your case might be completely meaningless. Because they are perfectly within daily fluctuations.

Meaningful changes I experienced by changing my diet 12 years ago were -110 in TC, -100 in LDL and +20 in HDL (compared to the average; +/-25 for TC, +/- 35 LDL and +/-10 for HDL).

#5 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 29 May 2021 - 07:29 AM

For about 2 years I've had a healthier diet than before: more tea, more beans, and more lycopene (tomato products). My physical exertion level remains unchanged and is low.

However, for such meaningful changes as I experiencd rather a lot more has to be changed. In my case I changed from a low-fat vegetarian diet for 30 years to a low-carb/high fat diet (adding fish and daily eggs back in; up to 70%  of calories as healthy fats, and occational grass-fed meat). Eliminated any processed foods and empty carb calories. Added about 250 supplements, and increased whole-body exposure to sun. And exercised as possible (which with a 60% walking disabilty quite difficult), mostly swiming. And experienced remission of my disability.

By your tiny changes I'm a bid reminded of my father, who with a cancer of the prostata started to eat loads of tomatoes and daily pumkin seeds. So much, now he can't even see any tomatoes anymore. The cancer proceeded nevertheless.

While I did a dozen times more without cancer, just to keep my PSA in healthy range.

I didn't get the latest triglycerides.

How high they've been before? Any particular condition you try to prevent?

Edited by pamojja, 29 May 2021 - 07:34 AM.

#6 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 29 May 2021 - 10:18 AM

Within 13 years of testing I saw TC 25 going up or down, LDL 35 and HDL 10 on exactly the same diet...

Meaningful changes I experienced by changing my diet 12 years ago were -110 in TC, -100 in LDL and +20 in HDL (compared to the average; +/-25 for TC, +/- 35 LDL and +/-10 for HDL).

Correcting my inprecisicion: Testing and gradual dietary changes started 13 years ago. Lipids settled down at much different ranges about 1-2 years later.

#7 ukw

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 May 2021 - 02:25 PM

Thanks for the response. 3 yrs ago triglycerides were 156 mg/dL.

No particular condition but I have genetic cholesterol issues.

#8 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 11:44 PM

Can you be more detailed and exacting regarding what your diet was and what it currently is?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cholesterol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users