- - - - -

Rapamycin vs Metformin for anti-aging

rapamycin metformin anti-aging

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mindbender

• 21 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 06:35 PM

Anyone know of a more recent review of Rapamycin vs Metformin benefits, especially in terms of anti-aging? Trying to decide which one I'd be better suited for. If there's not a whole lot of difference, I'd go with Metformin due to cost and convenience. 

#2 Qowpel

• 355 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 03:05 AM

I myself have been trying to figure this out. One thing is for sure, Metformin counteracts the positive effects of excercise so definetely do NOT use the extended release one (which takes days to be eliminated by the body). I would reccomend, instead, to use regular release metformin, but to use it on days not excercising. Also, if interested in ant aging, Calorie restriction will be your friend, as well as Intermittent fasting (which seems to only help if coupled with CR), and periodic long water fasts. Good luck my friend

• Needs references x 1
  • unsure x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Yuri.

• 12 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 July 2021 - 09:34 PM

Actually it's better if you use both. Different pathways, rapamycin mtor and metformin SIRT1, and rapamycin have a tendency to increase chances of decreasing insulin sensitivity (which is far lower on the longevity regimen which is one time a week instead of every day), anyways, metformin helps with that. I've been taking both for more than 3 years. Metformin at least here is extremely cheap, so I don't see any reason to take rapamycin and not take metformin.

Edited by Yuri., 27 July 2021 - 09:36 PM.

• Good Point x 1

#4 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 04:41 AM

A lot of folks who's doc put them on metformin for diabetes don't seem to like it very much.

https://www.medscape...warticle/955893

Half Abandon Metformin Within a Year of Diabetes Diagnosis

"Side effects are an issue, but not for most. "Any clinician who prescribes metformin knows there are side effects, such as upset stomach, diarrhea, and nausea."

#5 Kentavr

• 347 posts

Posted 11 August 2021 - 06:10 PM

A lot of folks who's doc put them on metformin for diabetes don't seem to like it very much.

https://www.medscape...warticle/955893

Half Abandon Metformin Within a Year of Diabetes Diagnosis

"Side effects are an issue, but not for most. "Any clinician who prescribes metformin knows there are side effects, such as upset stomach, diarrhea, and nausea."

If the patient takes slow-release metformin, then the negative effects are not so serious, and the body gets used to it in a couple of weeks so that the negative effects disappear altogether.

I tried using metformin, and I experienced all of the above.

#6 ZuoCi

• 30 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 August 2021 - 11:26 PM

Rapamycin seems to have fewer side effects. Supplementally induced autophagy is of debatable value under age 50 or so, When young, your body is already fairly efficient at clearing out bad cells (you're also creating a lot fewer senescent cells). While I don't think Rapamycin hurts much if anything when younger... It becomes a lot more potent in older people who start to have a lot of cellular dead weight sticking around. It's kind of like taking a laxative when you're regular vs two weeks backed up.

While I think Rapamycin is critical to extending life and healthspan, I don't see it as overly preventative. It's more of a treatment for an aliment than it is true prevention. It doesn't seem to do anything to prevent the RNA/DNA damage that leads to senescent cells, it just allows the ones you have to die. That's not really preventing or slowing down anything in the aging process, it's just clearly out one of the bad side effects.

Metformin is a different beast entirely. Metformin's main value is keeping blood glucose levels consistently low (something associated with longevity). It has a lot of mixed results. Most people don't like it, and stop taking it. Especially non-diabetics who are taking it for anti-aging or other reasons. Because most people age 70+ tend to have blood sugar control problems, it's likely that even non-diabetic people would benefit from it. But only people who are struggling to keep their glucose levels at < 110. Maybe Metformin is a good call for a 30 year old couch potato who wants to live to 90. But it's not advisable for younger people who are athletically active and don't have blood sugar control problems. The vast majority of people under 60 should be able to achieve what Metformin does through good eating habits (nutrition and timing), proper exercise, and good sleep.

I suppose anyone could try Rapamycin and see if it does much for them (other than placebo). Metformin, I wouldn't suggest without a few blood tests indicating your blood sugar is on the higher side. You may not need to be in the 160+ range as most doctors expect in order to prescribe it. But I wouldn't touch it if I was consistently below 120.

Edited by ZuoCi, 26 August 2021 - 11:27 PM.

• Needs references x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#7 brendan1

• 65 posts

Posted 05 September 2021 - 08:18 PM

Berberine is an option.

• Good Point x 1

#8 koffea

• 3 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 10:10 PM

ive been taking metformin for around two decades to treat prediabetes.  I have experienced none of the side effects discussed above.  Im taking extended release. 

Until I hurt my knee running up some stairs about 2 years ago, my working weight on squats was at 350 (5 x10's)  So, no noticeable impact on exercise. I am able to get strong and maintain strength. Im 47.

When I first started taking it there was a rocky period that lasted about 2 weeks, after that no intestinal issues at all.

Metformin did not help me lose weight, but I believe that it has helped me keep weight off.  For me this is huge, at one point I weighed well over 141 kg.  My blood glucose on metformin seems to be locked at about 85.

Every time I go into my doctors, they always seem excited to tell me that there are prospects that I could get off of metformin.  They don't get it, I never want to get off metformin.  It has been a miracle for me.

as for rapamycin

If I knew how to get my hands on some quality rapamycin, I would take it as well.  My doctor wont prescribe it for off label use though, and I don't know any other way.

they both appear to be pretty amazing molecules

• Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 APBT

• 906 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 04:08 PM

as for rapamycin

If I knew how to get my hands on some quality rapamycin, I would take it as well.  My doctor wont prescribe it for off label use though, and I don't know any other way.

they both appear to be pretty amazing molecules

See this thread: https://www.longecit...rs/#entry817647

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rapamycin, metformin, anti-aging

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users