• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Epigenetic Age Reduction Within 8 Weeks: Real Effect Or Statistical Noise?

epigenetic age rct

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Lustgarten

• 346 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 July 2021 - 12:49 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=bwOjSnCYGCM

Attached Files

#2 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 23 July 2021 - 10:33 AM

This is a throw-in-everything-but-the-kitchen-sink study, so it's not immediately clear what exactly is important for the decrease in epigenetic age. Exercise isn't, according to both short and long term studies, so it's something in this special diet. And that's where it jumps out at you. The turmeric, rosemary, garlic and green tea, for instance, all of which have senolytic properties, as well as some of the ingredients of PhytoGanix (like resveratrol and quercetin). Clearly if you get rid of senescent cells that are typically among the oldest cells, your overall epigenetic age will drop. However, you can expect it to increase again, given that you've done nothing to reverse the relentless decline of the stem cell pools.

There is also a conflict of interest, according to the paper: KF and RH declare that they use the intervention described here in clinical practice, are named in a related patent application, and receive earnings from educational products associated with its use.

Edited by Turnbuckle, 23 July 2021 - 10:36 AM.

• Good Point x 2
  • Informative x 1

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Michael Lustgarten

• Topic Starter
  • 346 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 July 2021 - 10:54 AM

This is a throw-in-everything-but-the-kitchen-sink study, so it's not immediately clear what exactly is important for the decrease in epigenetic age. Exercise isn't, according to both short and long term studies, so it's something in this special diet. And that's where it jumps out at you. The turmeric, rosemary, garlic and green tea, for instance, all of which have senolytic properties, as well as some of the ingredients of PhytoGanix (like resveratrol and quercetin). Clearly if you get rid of senescent cells that are typically among the oldest cells, your overall epigenetic age will drop. However, you can expect it to increase again, given that you've done nothing to reverse the relentless decline of the stem cell pools.

There is also a conflict of interest, according to the paper: KF and RH declare that they use the intervention described here in clinical practice, are named in a related patent application, and receive earnings from educational products associated with its use.

I don't mind the throw-in-everything-but-the-kitchen-sink study, but when using that approach, it's essential to publish the data for before and after, which they clearly left out. Having analyzed some of that data in published studies, it's not difficult to analyze and include, which leads me to suspiciously think that there were no differences for some of the variables (diet, exercise, sleep, etc) when compared with baseline. I hope I'm wrong, though, and they publish that data in future studies!

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 July 2021 - 06:42 PM

The line of enquiry is also rather weird: legumes and beans are excluded while all present studies connect them to longevity. An unbiased study on epigenetic age  should include them and probably exclude meat intake which has been found to correlate with cancer and CVD. If the research in anyway endorsed or advised meat eating to people  the researchers  might even be accused of unethical research.

That said Michael I thank you for your efforts to crunch the numbers. From perusing the abstract only I would not have seen how tenuous the results are.

• Good Point x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: epigenetic age, rct

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users