We Should Have a Section Called 'Gerostatics'

gerostatics senolytics telomerase

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 manofsan

• 1,223 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 08:00 PM

Hi,

I wanted to suggest that we have a section called Gerostatics, just like we already have a section called Senolytics.

Gerostatics are substances that slow the onset of senescence (in contrast to Senolytics, which remove cells that are already in a state of senescence)

If we had a section called Gerostatics, then we could put the various substances inside there - like Rapamycin, Metformin, Resveratrol, etc.

I'm not trying to be a nitpick here, I'm just trying to suggest improved clarity in categorization, so that we can always keep focused on what's most salient.

Now that I think about it, Exercise is more senolytic, whereas Caloric Restriction is more gerostatic.

So exercise helps to purge cells that are already senescent, while caloric restriction helps to delay or slow the onset of senescence in cells.

I think that it can be useful to think in these terms of Gerostatics and Senolytics.

And then finally the last distinct phenomena is with Telomerase and Telomerase-promoting activities which help in lengthening of Telomeres (aka reversal of aging)

To most benefit our lives, Gerostatics is something that needs to done most frequently / routinely.

Senolytics should only be done occasionally.

And aging reversal through Telomerase/Telomerase-promoting-activities should be done semi-frequently.

Gerostatics poses the least risk, except during times of illness & injury.

Senolytics has somewhat more risk (fibrosis or damage to liver)

Telomerase/Telomerase-promoting-activities have the most risk (cancer).

What do you all think?

Edited by manofsan, 27 August 2021 - 08:15 PM.

#2 eighthman

• 155 posts

Posted 18 October 2021 - 04:47 PM

It's a good topic.  I don't understand what Mikhail asserts about senolytics.  I thought that using dasatinib/ quercetin caused dramatic effects - such that would not be seen simply by stalling the aging process as 'gerostatic'.  Also, Dr. Green seems to get big benefits from rapamycin which involve significant changes from his past.  So, again I don't understand the gerostatic idea here.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gerostatics, senolytics, telomerase

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users