- - - - -

3 Main Approaches to Life-Extension?

life extension longevity techniques

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 manofsan

• 1,223 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 09:25 PM

So I'm just thinking aloud, for the benefit of my own clarify of understanding (if you don't mind sparing a sliver of your time to help guide me with some feedback/answers)

There seem to be 3 overall approaches to life-extension:

Gerostatics - stuff that delays the onset of senescence in cells (Rapamycin, Metformin, Resveratrol, Pterostilbene, etc.) Dietary Caloric Restriction is also an activity or intervention which has gerostatic effects.

Senolytics - stuff that removes cells that are already in a state of senescence (Curcumin, Fisetin, Dasatinib, etc) Exercise is also an activity which has senolytic effects

And then there's a 3rd category, which is Regeneration? That would probably involve Stem Cells, and also Telomerase and Telomerase-promoting activities to help regenerate Telomere length?

I'd read that Nicotinamide (NR, NMR, etc) can help increase stem cells, and I've also read that HBOT (Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy) can do this too - but are there any other ways? What ways are there to help stimulate more Telomerase to lengthen our Telomeres?

So it seems to me that Gerostatics can be done the most frequently / routinely for life-extension purposes, as they pose the least risk (except in situations of illness or injury)
Senolytics can then be done occasionally, as they pose somewhat more risk (liver damage or fibrosis)
Regenerative approach like Stem Cells and Telomerase poses the most risk (cancer)

Do you all roughly agree with that?

#2 LongLiveTheNewFlesh

• 81 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 08:20 AM

Intriguing...

Yes, I would agree roughly with what your saying, but there is way more too it then what you wrote.

Dr. Aubrey de Greys work is superior. His thesis is out of this world and I’m under the strong belief it’s all true. A group of scientists tried to prove his seven ways of life extension was wrong and they could find no reason that he was wrong. I’m of the opinion he is a genius, possibly the smartest man in the world, that will only be revealed to you after you read his book. Have you read his book Ending Aging? It touches on all of what your talking about and more. I know I sound like some cult leader for Dr. de Grey, lol, but really it just looks that way, I’m not. I’m just trying to tell people to prove him wrong if they can.I believe he has the most advanced plan for life extension in the entitle world. If anyone knows of someone with better approaches to life extension, ideally biological immortality, let me know immediately because I really, really would want to know that person.

Best

Edited by LongLiveTheNewFlesh, 24 November 2021 - 08:26 AM.

#3 rodentman

• 208 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 07:16 PM

I think anti-aging approaches can be defined by how 'upstream/downstream' they are.   De Grey is focusing on fixing the damage of aging processes, so he's more downstream, and is pioneering multiple techniques including senolytics.  I would also include stem cell therapies here as well.

Whereas individuals that are trying to 're-program' the aging of the body tend to be further upstream, and are looking for a simpler, yet more elusive 'master switch'.   They tend to look more at CR mimetics,  Heterochronic Parabiosis, genetic and epigenetic factors/activators, and usually follow more of an 'informational/systemic' theory of aging.

Who know which strategy shows more promise, but maybe the ultimate anti-aging therapy will focus on both.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 LongLiveTheNewFlesh

• 81 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 01:20 AM

Well, when you put it that way, makes sense to work in multiple fields. Perhaps I tend to focus on Dr. de Grey's body of work too much. But what you say makes sense, do you know of any good scholarly books that focus on ‘further upstream’ studies( I.e CR mimetics, Heterochronic Parabiosis, genetic and epigenetic factors/activators, etc. and usually follow more of an 'informational/systemic' theory of aging) ?
I ask because I want to know more of what you speak personally, not to mention I’m working on an free internet ‘Immortality FAQ’ truth be told and need all the research I can get.

Best

#5 LongLiveTheNewFlesh

• 81 posts

Posted 27 November 2021 - 01:23 AM

Furthermore Dr. de Grey does talk about stem cells in his book.

I have been unable to find any books or journal entries on the subjects you mentioned in your first and second post. For example I found no books on Heterochronic Parabiosis, and the rest you mention. Did you find these subjects in journal enteries or on the web? Because that would be the reason I was unable to find any books on the subjects you mention.

Edited by LongLiveTheNewFlesh, 27 November 2021 - 01:24 AM.

#6 LongLiveTheNewFlesh

• 81 posts

Posted 27 November 2021 - 04:07 AM

To be fair I did actually find a book on ‘Senolytics’ called ;

Book : Senolyics in Disease, Ageing and Longevity (Healthy Ageing and Longevity)

Which sounds right up my alley and great for my research for my Immortality FAQ. My Immortality FAQ is just a temporary name, really it should be called ‘Untitled’ until I find a good name for it, unless Immortality FAQ is good enough. I want to reach as many people with the Immortality FAQ as possible, and hopefully drive them into action, whether by donating money to the SENS Foundation, getting involved in Immortality politics, etc

Can’t wait to read the book on Senolyics. Still after reading ‘Ending Aging’ by Dr. de Grey I always just find his work better whenever I read other stuff on human longevity and compare his work to others. So I suggest everyone read it before they try to debate it. That’s why I’m going to read works that are out there that the original poster suggests. Then I will make my decision again , but something tells me I will always go back to the work of Dr. Aubrey de Grey.

If your interested the internets free “Immortality FAQ” in its very beginning stages :

https://www.longecit...aq/#entry911608

Edited by LongLiveTheNewFlesh, 27 November 2021 - 04:11 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: life extension, longevity, techniques

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users