• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Do you think you will achieve biological immortality?

immortality sens

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you think you will achieve biological immortality? (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think you will achieve biological immortality?

1. yes (fairly certain) (6 votes [22.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

2. no (unlikely) (13 votes [48.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 48.15%

3. maybe (somewhere in the middle between fairly certain and unlikely) (8 votes [29.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.63%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 RubiksKid

• 32 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 12:25 AM

I'm just curious where most people on this forum stand. 

Edited by RubiksKid, 21 October 2021 - 12:27 AM.

#2 LongLiveTheNewFlesh

• 81 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 04:03 AM

Haha...interesting....this is an forum mostly dedicated to living longer and it turns out most of our members don’t think they will be biologically immortality. I find that sad. I want to live forever!!!

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#3 Jbr5791

• 1 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 07:28 PM

We all want to live longer healthier. When it comes to biological immortality, unless you get the cloning legalized, I don't really see it for now. If I get to 120-150 yo being self fully functional  I will be satisfied. 

#4 Michander

• 1 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 December 2021 - 08:29 PM

I find that a lot of research seems to focus on making "humans" live longer as in it uses certain generalities among humans. However, I'm interested in research that attempts to solve specific age related issues for 1 particular human and taking into account that persons unique individual qualities. This seems a lot more feasible to be successful the one time and then you would repeat on a per person basis eventually streamlining the effort involved. 

#5 LongLiveTheNewFlesh

• 81 posts

Posted 04 December 2021 - 10:16 AM

We all want to live longer healthier. When it comes to biological immortality, unless you get the cloning legalized, I don't really see it for now. If I get to 120-150 yo being self fully functional I will be satisfied.

We still have biomedical gerontology that will, potentially, allow us to live forever. It’s all in Dr. Aubrey de Greys book ‘Ending Aging’. 120-150 isn’t a very long lifespan. Put it this way, are you afraid of dying? Well, if you answered yes then you have to live forever.

I want to live forever because I want to read all the books ever written, play all musical instruments, be alive for first contact ( if there are aliens out there that have intelligence and self-awareness), etc, etc.

Best

Edited by LongLiveTheNewFlesh, 04 December 2021 - 10:19 AM.

#6 Paravani

• 38 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 07:41 PM

I think it's possible that I will live as long as I want to live... Which isn't necessarily forever, but is longer than I used to believe I could live.

I believe that human lifespan could become indefinitely long, at least while civilization lasts.

But there are a lot of unintended consequences to increasing human longevity that most people here don't consider. I am not sure that we will all be delighted with immortality when it becomes possible.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 RubiksKid

• Topic Starter
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 December 2021 - 08:45 AM

I think it's possible that I will live as long as I want to live... Which isn't necessarily forever, but is longer than I used to believe I could live.

I believe that human lifespan could become indefinitely long, at least while civilization lasts.

But there are a lot of unintended consequences to increasing human longevity that most people here don't consider. I am not sure that we will all be delighted with immortality when it becomes possible.

As I understand it, aging is basically the accrual of damage. There's nothing magical about this damage. If the right therapies are developed, it can be reversed. Achieving biological immortality is definitely possible, but there are a lot of barriers to overcome, lack of funding being one of them.

As life is currently, I don't think procreating is worth it, or even ethical for that matter. Eliminating aging would be eliminating a major source of suffering, so that would be a good thing. 

• Agree x 1

#8 Bike_to_120

• Registrant
  • 39 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 December 2021 - 04:30 AM

There is always the non-trivial likelihood of accidental death. If you live to be 1000 that becomes quite a significant likely outcome IMO.

It would also be interesting to see the response by age. I think a 20 yo has a high likelihood of making it to 1000 whereas someone in their 70's may not be around for the necessary breakthroughs needed.

But as for immortality...not likely in a physical form IMO. Maybe our consciousness gets uploaded to 'the cloud' whatever that might be.

#9 LongLiveTheNewFlesh

• 81 posts

Posted 27 December 2021 - 06:18 AM

pavarani: I’m working on a free ‘Immortality FAQ’ on the internet and I would like to know what “unintended consequences” your thinking of? It would help me with my research and might become a new question on my FAQ ( my FAQ, but I always ask others if they want to contribute your welcome to ).
This goes for other people to if you see bad things with immortality biological or mind uploading then please let me know your concern with it and I will address it in my FAQ. Your name will be left out unless you want to be part of the FAQ.

Edited by LongLiveTheNewFlesh, 27 December 2021 - 06:20 AM.

#10 LongLiveTheNewFlesh

• 81 posts

Posted 27 December 2021 - 06:26 AM

There is always the non-trivial likelihood of accidental death. If you live to be 1000 that becomes quite a significant likely outcome IMO.
It would also be interesting to see the response by age. I think a 20 yo has a high likelihood of making it to 1000 whereas someone in their 70's may not be around for the necessary breakthroughs needed.
But as for immortality...not likely in a physical form IMO. Maybe our consciousness gets uploaded to 'the cloud' whatever that might be.

Yes, mind uploading into a very strong machine body is a way around that, or the cloud like you said, those are definitely wats to cut down on accidental death. I personally would prefer biological immortality, I’m just going to have to live very carefully and I don’t see that as a problem. Like I’m really safe now and I haven’t died yet, I think I can live forever without an accidental death, just need to be a little safe and not do anything stupid.

#11 johnhemming

• 306 posts

Posted 27 December 2021 - 09:43 AM

Strictly immortality is "living forever". That includes when the sun turns into a red giant.  I don't think realistically that is possible.

What I wish to do is to maintain functional health to a reasonable level.  I have not given "immortality" any really serious consideration save that I think real immortality is impossible.  Living longer healthier lives is not impossible.

#12 Bike_to_120

• Registrant
  • 39 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 December 2021 - 07:40 PM

Yes, mind uploading into a very strong machine body is a way around that, or the cloud like you said, those are definitely wats to cut down on accidental death. I personally would prefer biological immortality, I’m just going to have to live very carefully and I don’t see that as a problem. Like I’m really safe now and I haven’t died yet, I think I can live forever without an accidental death, just need to be a little safe and not do anything stupid.

For me, living in a bubble trying to stay safe is not really living at all. I enjoy mountain and road cycling, hiking in wilderness areas, flying and many other activities with risk that bring joy to my life.

I need tech of the "Six Million Dollar Man" for what I want and more

#13 RubiksKid

• Topic Starter
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 January 2022 - 02:21 PM

Aubrey de Grey has talked about this. He mentioned that things that we take for granted now, like driving a car, would be considered far too risky.

Strictly immortality is "living forever". That includes when the sun turns into a red giant.  I don't think realistically that is possible.

That's why I qualified it and wrote "biological immortality."

#14 sensei

• 929 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 02:37 AM

Absent an unfortunate accident, I believe I will make it to the time where functional immortality of our consciousness - biological, cybernetic, or machine based will be available.

The technological Singularity is approaching.
  • like x 1

#15 ihatesnow

• 776 posts

Posted 21 February 2022 - 03:40 AM

No not in this century       possibly in the 2200s if we don't have a WW3   and computers continue to follow moors law 

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#16 LongLiveTheNewFlesh

• 81 posts

Posted 07 May 2022 - 03:04 AM

We all want to live longer healthier. When it comes to biological immortality, unless you get the cloning legalized, I don't really see it for now. If I get to 120-150 yo being self fully functional I will be satisfied.

Yeah, but that’s a lot of hard work. You basically have to starve yourself though caloric restriction , great nutrition. Do you have the toughness to do all that?

Also there are many other ways towards biological immortality then just cloning.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: immortality, sens

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users