• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

What other supplements/cofactors to take with B6?

undermethylation cfs fatigue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kris111

• 31 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 11:35 PM

Hi I am planning to start taking B6 as a first step towards reducing elevated homocysteine levels. What other supplements/vitamins I should be taking alongside B6, that would be important co-factors, or augmenters, or helpful in proper utilization of B6?

FYI in case if it matters - In addition to high homocysteine levels, I have undermethylation, high histamine, slightly high cholesterol, pure OCD, and tinnitus. 

#2 Mr Matsubayashi

• 226 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 November 2021 - 06:35 AM

I'm a mutant for normally high homocysteine. This was always high in blood tests, verified by genetic testing and my blood pressure was borderline high at 140. I went vego/plant based and it brought the blood pressure way down as well as homocysteine (I also take regular b12, which is one of the homocysteine metabolism cofactors as well as deficient in a vego/vegan diet). 

The ingredients list on a supplement like this is a good starting point. Or just take the supplement. I don't react well in the long run to lots of supplemented methyl B12/9, and simply eating healthy has so many other benefits. 

https://www.thorne.c...ethyl-guard-reg

Edited by Mr Matsubayashi, 23 November 2021 - 07:24 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Mr Matsubayashi

• 226 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 November 2021 - 07:00 AM

A cheat sheet. The three cogs need to be turning and drain open to avoid Homocysteine problems. 

Attached Files

Edited by Mr Matsubayashi, 23 November 2021 - 07:02 AM.

• Informative x 1

#4 Kris111

• Topic Starter
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 09:11 PM

I'm a mutant for normally high homocysteine. This was always high in blood tests, verified by genetic testing and my blood pressure was borderline high at 140. I went vego/plant based and it brought the blood pressure way down as well as homocysteine (I also take regular b12, which is one of the homocysteine metabolism cofactors as well as deficient in a vego/vegan diet). 

Thank you.  I am a MTHFR too btw. My DNA reports show the gene mutations indicative of undermethylation in body.  My blood pressure is normal though, and never had an issue with it so far.

What you are saying makes sense. But there are couple of challenges for me:

1. Every time I gave up red meat, my non-homocysteine problems worsen including more fatigue, digestion issues, etc. I only eat grassfed, pasture-raised red meat and wild-caught fishes like char/salmon.  Also eat lot of veggies and lentils.  If I stop red meat completely, I am not sure how things would work out. I would substitute with junk and carbs, because there is only so much fiber I can take eating veggies and plants. I suspect that too much grain-based carbs work against me too as it raises my blood sugar levels to pre-diabetic levels.

The ingredients list on a supplement like this is a good starting point. Or just take the supplement. I don't react well in the long run to lots of supplemented methyl B12/9, and simply eating healthy has so many other benefits. 

https://www.thorne.c...ethyl-guard-reg

2. Somebody - on this forum in fact - told me that if I have both high homocysteine and undermethylation, I should FIRST work on reducing homocysteine and ONLY AFTER THAT, I should work on methylation supplements. Is that an ill-informed suggestion?  This is why I was focusing first on B6 btw.

3. I measure high B12 in my blood often.  Almost all undermethylation and b complex supplements feature B12 in enormous quantities (5,000% to 50,000%).  Why is that?  And does that mean I would have to buy individual supplements and avoid B12, given that blood shows high B12?

Thoughts?

Edited by Kris111, 23 November 2021 - 10:03 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 Mr Matsubayashi

• 226 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 November 2021 - 12:21 AM

I can't comment on what you should be targeting first. End of the day if you get results fantastic. If you haven't already, check your bloods a month or so after starting b6 and see if it has the desired effect. If it were me and I just wanted to lower my homocysteine without much thought I'd take that thorne supplement. B vitamins are super dosed in supplements because the oral bioavailability is god awful and your kidneys filter them out fast, yellow pee. I believe they have also been tested as safe in such large oral doses. Based on a quick google, high blood b12 (if not caused by supplementation) can be a sign of a problem, best check with your doctor. 

With large amounts of dietary fiber it took about 2 years for my body to get really used to it. Happier for the change. Lost a lot of weight which is now stable, better mood, energy, sleep. I'm definitely an advocate for eating healthy haha. Took about a year to hit my stride in discovering and making delicious and healthy food, and eating larger volumes to get the calories. 

Talking outside of my field again, my guess is that it doesn't matter a great deal on how grass fed your animals are. I bet a lot of the compounds claimed to be healthier in these meats are broken down by our digestive track, like testosterone. Doesn't come in pill form. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: undermethylation, cfs, fatigue

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users