- - - - -

The contradiction of choline

undermethylation ocd

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kris111

• 31 posts

Posted 14 January 2022 - 01:07 PM

I have found what I think is contradictory research on choline for treating the issues I have and I was wondering what to do.

Quick background - I have undermethylation and also suffer from OCD.

For undermethylation, amongst several other supplements like SAM-e and l-methylfolate, experts with good street cred also believe it is important to supplement with choline. The idea is that more choline gets used up for methylation when you are less effective at using folate to support that process.

However in couple of studies done on OCD people (see this and this), it was found that their brains showed above average increase in Choline or had positive correlation to choline.  Which means, if I am interpreting it correctly, that perhaps OCD sufferers should stay away from choline.

Here is the big kicker - Usually people with OCD, especially my kind of OCD (Pure OCD/intrusive thoughts) also happen to be undermethylated, and vice versa.  :unsure:

I am wondering if I am interpreting anything wrong here given what seems to be a contradictory role of choline.

At the end, should I consider supplementing with or eating food rich in choline?

#2 Neurocryo

• 54 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 08:09 PM

I would check your genetics to see your mthfr genotype as well as your choline metabolism genes.  Most European ancestry people are deficient in choline metabolism and should supplement.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Kris111

• Topic Starter
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 08:45 AM

I would check your genetics to see your mthfr genotype as well as your choline metabolism genes.  Most European ancestry people are deficient in choline metabolism and should supplement.

Thank you.  Looking at my raw data from 23andme, I have confirmed genotypes for MTHFR genotype undermethylation disposition - C677T.  As for choline deficiency, would you know what should I look for in the raw data?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 Neurocryo

• 54 posts

Posted 26 February 2022 - 10:50 PM

Thank you.  Looking at my raw data from 23andme, I have confirmed genotypes for MTHFR genotype undermethylation disposition - C677T.  As for choline deficiency, would you know what should I look for in the raw data?

Check CHDH and PEMT.  If you’re of European descent there’s good chances your choline metabolism is messed up.  Polyenolphisohatidylcholine Works very well for me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: undermethylation, ocd

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users