cancer - metastasis - melatonin?

cancer melatonin nac

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 albedo

• 2,063 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 June 2022 - 11:12 AM

Wondering how squaring these results with melatonin supplementation. Pleiotropy at work? The known differentiation between lowering risk of cancer vs acceleration when cancer is already present?

"...Systemically, we find that key circadian rhythm hormones such as melatonin, testosterone and glucocorticoids dictate CTC generation dynamics, and as a consequence, that insulin directly promotes tumour cell proliferation in vivo, yet in a time-dependent manner..."

CTC=circulating tumour cells

https://www.nature.c...586-022-04875-y

"...Results showed the involvement of melatonin in different anticancer mechanisms including apoptosis induction, cell proliferation inhibition, reduction in tumor growth and metastases, reduction in the side effects associated with chemotherapy and radiotherapy, decreasing drug resistance in cancer therapy, and augmentation of the therapeutic effects of conventional anticancer therapies.."

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC8123278/

on NAC

https://www.longecit...ndpost&p=914125

https://www.longecit...ndpost&p=915112 (related to OA)

Punch line as far as I am concerned: with NAC, also melatonin is a supplement I will be cautious with.

• Informative x 1

#2 EvaWhite

• 35 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 05:33 PM

Am using melatonin for sleep.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 johnhemming

• 306 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 06:06 PM

Russell Reiter is good on Melatonin.

eg

• Informative x 2

#4 albedo

• Topic Starter
  • 2,063 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 August 2022 - 02:07 PM

Great video.Thank you @johnhemming

#5 joelcairo

• 586 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 November 2022 - 06:39 AM

I'm skeptical of this study, or at least I won't question their exact findings but I'm skeptical of the study's practical value.

1. I've read countless studies of melatonin's effect on cancer, and because I take melatonin every night I keep an eye out for reports of possible negative effects. The overwhelming consensus is positive and I have rarely if ever seen melatonin implicated in promoting cancer growth.

2. We can't NOT enter a rest phase, and I don't think there's any question that depriving patients of sleep would result in a worse outcome and ensuring a regular long restful sleep would result in a better outcome. The overall health and proper function of the body's healthy tissues and immune system are critical in fighting cancer.

#6 johnhemming

• 306 posts

Posted 14 November 2022 - 07:02 AM

I am not sure what study you are referring to, but Melatonin is a key substance in the body and at the right time having more Melatonin helps.  I think it is primarily Melatonin that knocked my HbA1c down to a record of 4.18% on 12/9/22 (although it does vary in the 4s)

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 albedo

• Topic Starter
  • 2,063 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 November 2022 - 08:53 AM

I am not sure what study you are referring to, but Melatonin is a key substance in the body and at the right time having more Melatonin helps.  I think it is primarily Melatonin that knocked my HbA1c down to a record of 4.18% on 12/9/22 (although it does vary in the 4s)

wow .. that is really low ... are you doing also other interventions to try and lower A1C, that is great achievement!

#8 Zarathrustra

• 87 posts

Posted 23 December 2022 - 06:45 PM

I have tried melatonin on and off over the years. I was diagnosed with terminal cancer in 2007, and have had three recurrences since the initially successful chemo in 2008.

There is no correlation for me over my 13 cancer-related markers, nor my deep sleep time.

Melatonin correlates with improvement in hypertension, and my morning PNN50, but much worse for  Apolipoprotein-B, so I do not take it.

For me, my deep sleep time has improved with age - probably because I now have very regular, and longish - bed times (longer in bed cprre;ates best with deep sleep).

My Bb1Ac reduction (to 36 mmol/L) also correlates well with length of time in bed; melatonin doesn't correlate at all. Best is banana consumption.

#9 johnhemming

• 306 posts

Posted 24 December 2022 - 07:52 AM

I have had a number of values of HbA1c and the lowest was 4.18%. I think that is 22 mmol/mol.  This is measuring only the ketoamine part of HbA1c.  Melatonin has an effect on this as it can push down glucose levels, but that is done by pineal melatonin as well as exogenous melatonin.   The timing of taking melatonin is absolutely critical.

I think the difference when including the aldimine part of HbA1c is about 0.7-0.8% so it is quite material.

HbA1c particularly the aldimine part follows glucose levels by about 2 hours.  Ketoamine is pretty well stable.

In my studies I have found that different labs include the aldmine part to differing extents. Some only measure ketoamine

More info:

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC4933534/

Edited by johnhemming, 24 December 2022 - 07:53 AM.

• Informative x 1

#10 Zarathrustra

• 87 posts

Posted 24 December 2022 - 03:59 PM

Thanks for that information.

In my tracking over 11 years now, with 53 Hb1Ac from the same lab (so I assume that's a consistent metric), I have no correlation with melatonin at the 5% level.

Second and third to the strong good correlation with bananas are carbs - non-sugar and sugar. The latter may seem contrary to received wisdom, but then I found so much is (which I why I initially commenced self-tracking 45+ years ago). Reported research is always a good starting point, but generally needs adjusting for the individual.

#11 johnhemming

• 306 posts

Posted 25 December 2022 - 02:52 PM

Sometimes labs change analyser. However, you should be able to spot a discontinuity from an analyser change. Also HbA1c metabolises in samples.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cancer, melatonin, nac

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users