Paxlovid

coronavirus

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 joesixpack

• 457 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 July 2022 - 11:45 PM

Has anyone here used Paxlovid for Covid 19?

If so, what was your experience?

#2 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 23 July 2022 - 05:54 AM

I'm an HCQ guy, but am skeptical of the claim you can start an antiviral up to 5 days into a symptomatic infection & expect substantial benefit.  Paxlovid's sole mode of action is to inhibit viral replication, & by day 3-5, your viral load will already be peaking.  

We know for a fact viral replication is peaking within a day or two of symptom onset with COVID, & in relatively healthy folks, the bodies own immune system is starting to get on top of things within 3-5 days.

The wife & I had omicron back in January, and we didn't even know what was happening until we were symptomatic for several days.  The early symptoms were so mild.  

The latest hoopla with Paxlovid, is that you can get it from your pharmacy without even seeing your doctor or getting a prescription.  You MUST however have not only a documented positive test, but also recent liver & kidney function labs (less than 12 months old), and ALL of your prescribed medicines from ALL of your doctors in a proper format for a pharmacist to feel comfortable in dispensing the drug.  

The pharmacist is also not qualified to recommend you discontinue meds Paxlovid may interact with, and there are many drugs that Paxlovid interacts with.  Your doctors MUST OK any discontinuing of meds they prescribe in order for you to be eligible for a Pax prescription.  By the time you get this all sorted out and start on the med, you're probably going to be hard up against the day 5 limit to see any benefit at all.  

If you're testing daily like Fauci or Biden, and have doctors on call to sort things out with a pharmacist, Pax is a doable thing.  For the rest of us, the frantic run-around will most likely delay initiation of treatment to a point where little potential benefit will occur.  

Edited by Dorian Grey, 23 July 2022 - 06:22 AM.

• Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#3 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 23 July 2022 - 07:56 PM

I have a friend that got covid about 3 weeks ago and was given Paxlovid within hours of early symptoms and a positive covid test. His wife came down with covid two days earlier so he was on the lookout for it. So just about as optimal starting the drug as you're likely to see. Friend is 61, healthy weight, and athletic (swims laps at the pool 5 days a week).

It did seem to knock down the severity of symptoms relatively quickly (a day or two), but of course we don't know how his infection would have progressed without the drug. By day three he was feeling well i.e. not sick.

He finished out the dose card which is 5 days I believe.

Within a day or two of completing the course his symptoms returned which he characterized as a "bad cold". Apparently the Paxlovid had slowed viral replication but his immune system had not totally eliminate the virus so when he finished the course and the virus resumed replicating his symptoms returned. But, even if that's the case I think you can still call it something of a success. Presumably if you dramatically lower viral replication for even 5 days then one would think that you're giving your immune system time to identify the virus and form antibodies. So when the drug is finished hopefully your immune system is primed and ready to go and "ahead of the curve". I could see that this could keep someone out of the hospital that might otherwise have been destined there even if it wasn't totally successful at eliminating the virus entirely.

Edited by Daniel Cooper, 23 July 2022 - 08:00 PM.

• Informative x 1

#4 joesixpack

• Topic Starter
  • 457 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 July 2022 - 03:51 PM

Thanks for the replies.

With regard to the "rebound" return of Covid after a 5 day course of Plaxovid, the obvious conclusion would be that a 5 day course of medication is not enough. 

Maybe it should be given for 7 or 10 days.

Is there a safety issue with this drug requiring it to be limited to 5 days?

#5 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 24 July 2022 - 05:58 PM

I don't know what the side effects or any issues might be with prolonged use of that drug (which is actually a 2 drug cocktail).  His wife started the drug either the same day or the day before and it made her so nauseous that she quickly discontinued.

It occurs to me that my friend started the drug so very early in his infection and perhaps it so slowed replication that maybe his immune system didn't see enough of an infection to really start a defense. I wonder if he'd waited a day if his immune system would have formed more antibodies and been more successful at the end of the five day course. Pure speculation on my part.

I think we should keep in mind that the virus has clearly become less lethal since the start of the pandemic and we should consider that when we think about what lengths we are prepared to go to when (not if) we are infected.

Literally every person that I know personally that died from covid did so between May 2020 and August 2021. Since omicron became dominate in the early December 2021 timeframe (at least in my locale) I haven't known personally of a single person that has died from this infection. Yes. people are still listed as having died from covid, but the numbers of deaths are way down in spite of a resurgence in infections lately and I highly suspect that virtually all the deaths now are pretty exclusive to people who's health is highly compromised. 

Edited by Daniel Cooper, 24 July 2022 - 06:00 PM.

• Agree x 1

#6 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 24 July 2022 - 08:46 PM

Thanks for the replies.

With regard to the "rebound" return of Covid after a 5 day course of Plaxovid, the obvious conclusion would be that a 5 day course of medication is not enough. 

Maybe it should be given for 7 or 10 days.

Is there a safety issue with this drug requiring it to be limited to 5 days?

The EUA for Pax only allows for a 5 day course, and a repeat prescription for rebound is not currently advised/allowed, though Fauci did get a second 5 day course for his rebound so guidelines may change soon.  

Apparently the liver & kidneys can get stressed by Pax, though major issues haven't been seen (yet).  Don't know if they want you off any alcohol during treatment, but if you're an evening tippler you may have some sleepless nights.  Also don't know if metabolism of caffeine/nicotine is affected, but you may be off of these too.  

Edited by Dorian Grey, 24 July 2022 - 08:47 PM.

#7 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 25 July 2022 - 06:19 AM

It does seem that a longer course is probably indicated.

Also, it's quite easy to check for drug interactions online. For example:

https://www.med.umic...axlovid-DDI.pdf

Edited by smithx, 25 July 2022 - 06:22 AM.

• Informative x 1

#8 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 25 July 2022 - 06:41 AM

It does seem that a longer course is probably indicated.

Also, it's quite easy to check for drug interactions online. For example:

https://www.med.umic...axlovid-DDI.pdf

Seven pages...  YIKES!  That's a lot of interactions!  Glad my stash of HCQ & zinc is standing at the ready.  

• Good Point x 2
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

#9 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 25 July 2022 - 01:42 PM

Seven pages...  YIKES!  That's a lot of interactions!  Glad my stash of HCQ & zinc is standing at the ready.  

For what it's worth, it's getting were my wife and I are two of the few people in our circle of friends that hasn't had a symptomatic case of covid the entire time. Almost since the get go, we've been taking 25mg Zinc Gluconate and 400mg Quercetin + 165mg Bromelain.

We've gone to restaurants weekly as soon as they reopened in our area (June 2020 if memory serves) and only worn masks when required (which hasn't been in a good while in our area). My wife works at home but I've worked on-site the entire time and I generally have gone to restaurants 3 times a week throughout this ordeal.  

Of course, with a sample size of two I can't prove anything as to whether this prophylactic zinc+quercetin has done anything.

I've probably jinxed myself now of course.  :|?

• Cheerful x 1

#10 joesixpack

• Topic Starter
  • 457 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 July 2022 - 04:29 PM

7 pages of interactions, and those are just the ones they know about. I am sure the list will grow as more people take the drug and report adverse reactions while taking drugs that are not on the list.

It is interesting that no one from this website has reported taking Paxlovid.

Friends in Wisconsin have reported that it is easy to get in Madison, and that they took it without side affects. Friends in northern Wisconsin reported that it was harder to get. One person is the care giver of an immune compromised individual with one kidney. She tested positive and requested Paxlovid, and was denied on the basis that she was "too healthy". 

In this climate of banned therapeutics and censored information due to "politics" we will have to rely on our own devices to deal with Covid 19. 

While Paxlovid seems to be effective, there is no guarantee you will have access to it, or be able to take if you need to take other medications. And there is the issue of getting it within 5 days of showing symptoms, when a PCR test is required before it is prescribed.

I follow the same regimen of zinc, quercetin, bromelaine, along with a few other things to help immunity, and maintain a supply of HCQ and Ivermectin, just in case.

• like x 2
  • Ill informed x 1

#11 joesixpack

• Topic Starter
  • 457 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 July 2022 - 03:27 AM

I love these emoties. I assure you, the people in Wisconsin really told me the things I related to you. I am a healthy informed person, not ill yet.

• Cheerful x 1

#12 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 03:01 PM

Well, looks like Jill Biden has the 'rona now, and like Fauci & Joe is opting for the problematic and EUA/experimental Paxlovid, rather than the fully FDA approved "safe & effective" outpatient remdesivir infusion.  

What has become of Fauci's darling BILLION DOLLAR BABY?  Where is the love?  

Let's see if they can go 3 for 3 with Paxlovid rebound.  Tony, Joe & Jill.  

We live in interesting times!  

Edited by Dorian Grey, 16 August 2022 - 03:02 PM.

#13 joesixpack

• Topic Starter
  • 457 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 August 2022 - 08:42 PM

Well, looks like Jill Biden has the 'rona now, and like Fauci & Joe is opting for the problematic and EUA/experimental Paxlovid, rather than the fully FDA approved "safe & effective" outpatient remdesivir infusion.  

What has become of Fauci's darling BILLION DOLLAR BABY?  Where is the love?  

Let's see if they can go 3 for 3 with Paxlovid rebound.  Tony, Joe & Jill.  

We live in interesting times!  

It is interesting that the figure given for Paxlovid Rebound cases is 2%.

How is it statistically possible that all three of these high profile individuals had a rebound case of Covid 19?

• Enjoying the show x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#14 Gal220

• 1,036 posts

Posted 29 August 2022 - 04:19 AM

Dr Pierre Kory

https://twitter.com/...973141021483012

""Not a lot of "peace" or "love" in that drug, despite its name. Massive AE's since roll-out. 4x the annual rate of adverse events as IVM in just the past two weeks. Crap drug: 125 drug interactions across 25 classes of common medicines. United States of Pharma"

See link for chart

Dr.Richard Urso

https://twitter.com/...437494603816960

"Dr. Richard Urso: “Paxlovid is one of the most toxic drugs we have. It interacts with 32 classes of drugs.”

Edited by Gal220, 29 August 2022 - 04:24 AM.

• Cheerful x 1

#15 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 07:00 AM

Follow the bouncing ball...  Pfizer's CEO, Albert Bourla has COVID AGAIN, just one month after recovering from his last infection, & taking his company's own vaccines, and elixir of life, Paxlovid! 

https://www.reuters....idTRNIKBN2QP0F3

Bourla has received four doses of the COVID vaccine developed by Pfizer.  His original infection announced August 15, & he is now testing positive once again (September 24).  

One month is a long time for a typical Pax-Rebound.  Is there something wrong with his immune system?  Why did he not get ANY natural immunity from his previous infection?  

• Informative x 4
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#16 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 01 November 2022 - 02:08 AM

Here's yet another pointless & timewaisting update on the Paxlovid rebound club.  U.S. CDC Director Rochelle Walensky is IN!  After 5 days of Paxlovid, she was testing negative, but tested positive again Sunday after again developing mild symptoms.

https://finance.yaho...-161338109.html

Walensky, initially tested positive for the virus on Oct. 21, almost exactly a month after receiving her new & improved omicron booster.  

I found this interesting, as although we know vaccine boost effectiveness fades fairly swiftly, at 30 days, any protection should be peaking.  

Also interesting: Fauci began a second course of Paxlovid when his rebound symptoms emerged “much worse than the first go-around". 

One would think getting fully vaxed & boosted, followed by a breakthrough infection would prevent a rebound from being even more seriously symptomatic, but apparently this is not the case.  

Finally, Paxlovid is supposed to be futile as a therapeutic in those under 65.  

https://ca.finance.y...-210320815.html

Study: Pfizer COVID pill showed no benefit in younger adults

"people between the ages of 40 and 65 saw no measurable benefit, according to the analysis of medical records."

Walensky is only 53, fully vaxed and recently boosted.  Why was she taking this in the first place?  Just following the science I guess.  

Edited by Dorian Grey, 01 November 2022 - 02:31 AM.

• Informative x 1

#17 joesixpack

• Topic Starter
  • 457 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 November 2022 - 03:49 AM

But, the study said people over 65 had a 75% lower hospitalization rate. It seems believable since they also say it has no effect on people younger than 65. It might be a honest study.

So, I guess I will wait to see if the FLCCC includes Paxlovid in their protocol, they have not included it yet.

• Cheerful x 1

#18 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 01 November 2022 - 05:50 AM

But, the study said people over 65 had a 75% lower hospitalization rate. It seems believable since they also say it has no effect on people younger than 65. It might be a honest study.

So, I guess I will wait to see if the FLCCC includes Paxlovid in their protocol, they have not included it yet.

Good point joesixpack.  If you're in the senior age range, it's probably better to take something,rather than nothing.  

Is Paxlovid really the "best medicine"?  Don't know, but I've got a stash of HCQ & zinc in my war chest, & I'll be poppin' those pills any time symptoms appear, starting on day 1.  

With the potential for a new winter variant surge coming soon, we can do a study, & everyone can report on their experiences with the various therapeutics.  

I would plan in advance, how you could get your hands on Paxlovid as quickly as possible.  Ask your doc what the protocol is.  Does he need a confirmation (proof) of a positive test?  Or will he take your word.  Are you on any meds that will need to be suspended?  I assume the pharmacy will deliver your med to a curbside pickup outside the store, but I would want to confirm everything in advance.  

They say Paxlovid is good up to 5 days into symptomatic discovery, but I'd still prefer to get started as early as possible.  They say omicron may not show up on rapid-test until you're symptomatic for a day or two.  No time to waste, jumping through hoops.  

• Agree x 1

#19 joesixpack

• Topic Starter
  • 457 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 December 2022 - 09:07 AM

Good point joesixpack.  If you're in the senior age range, it's probably better to take something,rather than nothing.  

Is Paxlovid really the "best medicine"?  Don't know, but I've got a stash of HCQ & zinc in my war chest, & I'll be poppin' those pills any time symptoms appear, starting on day 1.  

With the potential for a new winter variant surge coming soon, we can do a study, & everyone can report on their experiences with the various therapeutics.  

I would plan in advance, how you could get your hands on Paxlovid as quickly as possible.  Ask your doc what the protocol is.  Does he need a confirmation (proof) of a positive test?  Or will he take your word.  Are you on any meds that will need to be suspended?  I assume the pharmacy will deliver your med to a curbside pickup outside the store, but I would want to confirm everything in advance.  

They say Paxlovid is good up to 5 days into symptomatic discovery, but I'd still prefer to get started as early as possible.  They say omicron may not show up on rapid-test until you're symptomatic for a day or two.  No time to waste, jumping through hoops.  

I have everything else, I will try to get this if I need to, but the anecdotal stories I am getting from people that have taken it tell me I do not want to take it. Some have told me they stopped  using it due to bad side effects.

#20 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 04 December 2022 - 08:12 PM

Paxlovid reduces the chances of long covid, according to a recent study:

Nirmatrelvir and the Risk of Post-Acute Sequelae of COVID-19

https://www.medrxiv....1.03.22281783v1

... We identify those who were treated with oral nirmatrelvir within 5 days after the positive test (n=9217) and those who received no COVID-19 antiviral or antibody treatment during the acute phase of SARS-CoV-2 infection (control group, n= 47,123). Inverse probability weighted survival models were used to estimate the effect of nirmatrelvir (versus control) on a prespecified panel of 12 post-acute COVID-19 outcomes and reported as hazard ratio (HR) and absolute risk reduction (ARR) in percentage at 90 days. Compared to the control group, treatment with nirmatrelvir was associated with reduced risk of PASC (HR 0.74 95% CI (0.69, 0.81), ARR 2.32 (1.73, 2.91)) including reduced risk of 10 of 12 post-acute sequelae in the cardiovascular system (dysrhythmia and ischemic heart disease), coagulation and hematologic disorders (deep vein thrombosis, and pulmonary embolism), fatigue, liver disease, acute kidney disease, muscle pain, neurocognitive impairment, and shortness of breath. Nirmatrelvir was also associated with reduced risk of post-acute death (HR 0.52 (0.35, 0.77), ARR 0.28 (0.14, 0.41)), and post-acute hospitalization (HR 0.70 (0.61, 0.80), ARR 1.09 (0.72, 1.46)). Nirmatrelvir was associated with reduced risk of PASC in people who were unvaccinated, vaccinated, and boosted, and in people with primary SARS-CoV-2 infection and reinfection. ...

• Informative x 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: coronavirus

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users