ImmInst - Frappr Map

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 MichaelAnissimov

• 905 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 10:38 AM

http://www.frappr.co...talityinstitute

Add yourselves, folks!

I suggest you create a Frappr account instead of just skipping that step - it works out better that way. Be sure you're cool with your image/shoutout - if you add it twice then the admin has to go in and delete the error by hand, which can get to be a hassle.

Please add a real picture of yourself or none at all - it's irritating to see a bunch of genuine portraits and then see some silly cartoon or logo thrown in because someone was afraid to post a real image of themselves. Don't worry, no one's going to stalk you.

ImmInst currently has 220 full members and 3741 people who have registered, let's try to top 300 on this thing! http://www.frappr.com/transhumanists is about to top 400.

If anyone wants to help create a better logo for this, feel free - it's 100x100 and the file needs to be under a meg and a half.

(Edit(Matthias): topic subtitle added)

Edited by Matthias, 18 April 2008 - 10:27 AM.

#2 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 02:28 PM

Please add a real picture of yourself or none at all - it's irritating to see a bunch of genuine portraits and then see some silly cartoon or logo thrown in because someone was afraid to post a real image of themselves. Don't worry, no one's going to stalk you.

Likewise, it's lamer than lame to use a cartoon image in this forum -- especially for full members or leadership.

I'm in another forum, a 350+ member discussion forum with many of the best people in the game industry, and EVERYONE uses their own photo. It makes the discussions infinitely more real.

If I were king around here, this is one of the first improvements I'd make.

#3 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 02:58 PM

Alright, I signed up.

Likewise, it's lamer than lame to use a cartoon image in this forum -- especially for full members or leadership.

I'm in another forum, a 350+ member discussion forum with many of the best people in the game industry, and EVERYONE uses their own photo. It makes the discussions infinitely more real.

Hear hear!

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 MichaelAnissimov

• Topic Starter
  • 905 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 03:09 PM

Point taken.

You should definitely consider running for Director when there's an opening!

#5 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 04:04 PM

I do like frappr. I added myself to the map, although I really don't have any good pics to use as an avatar, either there or here. (plus I like my DNA strand) I don't necessarily think that people should display their pics anyway, since the internet is about reinventing yourself how you see fit, etc., which are some pretty transhumanist-esque ideals.

In any event, perhaps we should add a link to the frappr group on the front page or something, like the Word Transhumanist Association does on theirs (on the righthand side).

Also, they have cool chat that can be embedded (note you can go to the actual frappr page to chat and see where everyone is on the map, without being a "guest"):

or the map itself:

Try dragging it around to see the different parts. (note: you can change how you want it to be embedded, the zoom amount, where it is centered, the name of it, etc.)

Edit: here is a different version of the map, you can make it however you want:

Edited by Live Forever, 03 August 2006 - 05:09 PM.

#6 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 05:38 PM

This thing is amazing. We should embed the chat in the forum header or footer, then it would really take off. Everyone should join! [thumb]

#7 quadclops

• 316 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 05:46 PM

Dang it! I've forgotten my password and can't log in to get my photo to show up on the map!

Ever have one of those days when you just feel really stooooopid? [!:)]

#8 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 06:23 PM

Wasn't this actually discussed in the full member or leadership area before? I thought the consensus was for all leaders to have personal photos as their avatar.

#9 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 06:34 PM

I believe you are correct Shepard. That is why I changed my avatar to a pic. I think I need a new pic, the current one is kind-of boring and dark.

This thing is amazing. We should embed the chat in the forum header or footer, then it would really take off.

Good idea Funk. Keep that one at the top of your list.

#10 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 August 2006 - 07:13 PM

I believe you are correct Shepard. That is why I changed my avatar to a pic. I think I need a new pic, the current one is kind-of boring and dark.

Face shots for avatars are still optional last timed I checked.

#11 MichaelAnissimov

• Topic Starter
  • 905 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 07:34 PM

By similar logic, what may also be irritating is seeing an entire group of transhumanists who appear gleefully satisfied with their biological handicap. And as if primitive snapshot photography captures identity in any important sense.

Showing your face doesn't necessarily mean you're "gleefully satisfied" with your biological form. But it can demonstrate that you're more serious about the community, the movement, and each other when you aren't afraid to show yourself. Particularly, it shows outsiders that we are real people who are dead serious about living longer, rather than a bunch of screen names who are here just to dabble. Showing yourself means you are confident, that you have nothing to hide, and aren't afraid to own up to what you actually look like.

By the same token, I don't think it's entirely necessary to have our faces as avatars in this forum. It can be fun to represent ourselves in different ways. This bothers me less, though, when I have seen the person's picture before, so I can form a mental image when I see their posts. For example, DonSpanton has an image of himself in his profile, so I know mentally what he looks like, and can invoke that image whenever I feel like it.

I always thought it was lame when some of my friends in High School would join chatrooms and pretend they were another gender or age. "lolololol I can fool them I am so clever". On the Internet, pretending to be someone else is easy. Being yourself is what's difficult.

#12 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 01:39 AM

Up to 16 people now, it looks like on the map. :)

#13 Anne

• 182 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 06:23 AM

I'm not at all shy about people knowing what I look like (after all, anyone who sees me in meatspace is going to figure it out pretty quickly), however, sometimes I tend to randomly withdraw images if it seems that they're drawing too much attention away from what I'm writing.

#14 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 06:27 AM

Anne: I think it's better termed: "meetspace."

Dude, I am kind of scared of chat rooms. How do you do this? It's making noises at me...

Showing your face doesn't necessarily mean you're "gleefully satisfied" with your biological form.  But it can demonstrate that you're more serious about the community, the movement, and each other when you aren't afraid to show yourself.  Particularly, it shows outsiders that we are real people who are dead serious about living longer, rather than a bunch of screen names who are here just to dabble. 

:)

I read this and added my picture.

#15 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 03:02 PM

I like the slider thing with the pictures:

another style:

We could add this button (or another type of link) to the front page to get more people to join:
Posted Image

#16 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:16 PM

Up to 26 people it looks like. [thumb]

#17 MichaelAnissimov

• Topic Starter
  • 905 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:54 AM

Bumping this thread. We can do better than 32.

#18 mattbrowne

• 41 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 11:57 AM

Great site. Just joined

www.frappr.com/mattbrowne

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users