Photo
- - - - -

Studying Biology and Chemistry

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ctwickman

• 5 posts

Posted 18 May 2003 - 11:10 PM

I have been experimenting lately with nootropics and so far have had mixed results. I have been using Piracetam and Hydergine with a Choline supplement.

I have stopped the Hydergine because I literally can't concentrate on the material when studying. I clearly have more motivation and brain energy, and it certainly "wakes me up" but my mind is too racy for absorbing information.

My question is why, LifeMirage, do you recommend the things you do for studying? I noticed you recommended Galantamine for "studying the info" and Pyritinol for "processing the info." Could you be more specific on why you recommend these? Could you be more specific on what you mean by "processing the info?"

Also, I noticed you do not take Galantamine yourself. Why? Why would you recommend it then?

Also, what would be some good dosages to start with. I'm looking into sticking with the Piracetam because I get good results, but would like to add some other stuff to the mix to give it a try, like: Idebenone, Pyritinol, Galantamine, Vinpocetine, and Ginkgo.

Just wondering what you would recommend of these and why. I have done a lot of research but many of these state that they do the same thing, so naturally I am confused. I need someone with real world experience I guess. I am looking for improvement in soaking up and understanding the very complicated knowledge that I am studying: advanced chemistry and biology. I need a clear, not racy, head on my shoulders. The Hydergine/Piracetam/Choline combo actually made me more stupid. Needless to say, I am usually very sensitive to drugs, so keep that in mind.

I am thinking of the following combo:

Idebenone
Piracetam
Galantamine
Pyritinol
Ginkgo

Any critique? Dosage recommendations? Schedule of when to take these?

Also, what would be the best combination/dosage for actual test taking?

Thanks much,
Chris

Edited by ctwickman, 18 May 2003 - 11:13 PM.

#2 ctwickman

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 06:53 AM

LifeMirage,

I am wondering about your personal thoughts on Idebenone. After reading through all the literature, I am confused as to its actual benefits. Many things can claim "better memory" but do you have any personal experience with this supplement? What did it do for you?

I am not looking for something with a "stimulatory effect" and was wondering what you thought the effects of Idebenone are after you take it. For example, Hydergine made my mind almost racy. It improved my memory but I could not think perfectly clear. How is Idebenone? What does it do for the user?

Thanks so much...

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 LifeMirage

• Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 10:16 PM

I have been experimenting lately with nootropics and so far have had mixed results. I have been using Piracetam and Hydergine with a Choline supplement.

I have stopped the Hydergine because I literally can't concentrate on the material when studying. I clearly have more motivation and brain energy, and it certainly "wakes me up" but my mind is too racy for absorbing information.

What dose are you taking? Also are you taking the liquid drops, tablets or coated tablets?

My question is why, LifeMirage, do you recommend the things you do for studying? I noticed you recommended Galantamine for "studying the info" and Pyritinol for "processing the info." Could you be more specific on why you recommend these? Could you be more specific on what you mean by "processing the info?"

Galantamine & Huperzine A are 2 of the strongest memory enhancers available (as far as learning, retaining, and recalling the information) by blocking AcetylCholinEstrase in brain; it potently and quickly raises Acetylcholine levels. Galantamine also increases motivation (by stimulating the nicotinic receptors), which can help with studying, especially if motivation is the problem.

Vasopressin (for men) would also appear to be helpful as well.

Pyritinol (also Vincamine, Hydergine and Piracetam) activates an area of the brain called the LC (Locus Coeruleus), which plays an important role in concentration, alertness, and information processing speed and ability, combined with it’s effects on glucose utilization and Acetylcholine makes it an effective studying drug for most people. Basically it increases the rate & ability to comprehend information (visual or audio).

Also, I noticed you do not take Galantamine yourself. Why? Why would you recommend it then?

I currently take Galantamine, I do not post every compound I take. Although thanks for reminding me to update my list.

Also, what would be some good dosages to start with. I'm looking into sticking with the Piracetam because I get good results, but would like to add some other stuff to the mix to give it a try, like: Idebenone, Pyritinol, Galantamine, Vinpocetine, and Ginkgo.

Just wondering what you would recommend of these and why. I have done a lot of research but many of these state that they do the same thing, so naturally I am confused. I need someone with real world experience I guess. I am looking for improvement in soaking up and understanding the very complicated knowledge that I am studying: advanced chemistry and biology. I need a clear, not racy, head on my shoulders. The Hydergine/Piracetam/Choline combo actually made me more stupid. Needless to say, I am usually very sensitive to drugs, so keep that in mind.

When combining nootropics the opposite effects is possible, so it’s a game of trial and error.

I am thinking of the following combo:

Idebenone (45-90 in combo, separately 90-180 mg)
Piracetam (0.8-2.4 in combo, separately 2.4-9.6 grams)
Galantamine (start very low 4-8 mg for 2-7 days then increase as needed to 16mg 24 at the most. Nausea is very common, especially above 8 mg.)
Huperzine A 200-400 mcg daily or every other day. 50-100 mcg in combo.
Pyritinol (200-400 mg in combo, separately 400-1,000 mg)
Ginkgo (120-240 mg in combo, separately up to 360 mg)

Any critique? Dosage recommendations? Schedule of when to take these?

Morning and Lunch are the best times.

Also, what would be the best combination/dosage for actual test taking?

It would depend on your unique bio-neuro chemistry, but a combination of either Huperzine A or Galantamine (if either of these cause nausea, even in low dose, try CDP-Choline or GPC) for memory & Pyritinol, Vincamine, and/or Piracetam for mental energy and processing information.

#4 LifeMirage

• Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 10:26 PM

I am wondering about your personal thoughts on Idebenone. After reading through all the literature, I am confused as to its actual benefits. Many things can claim "better memory" but do you have any personal experience with this supplement? What did it do for you?

Idebenone (in studies) can release Acetylcholine, but this effect is not very potent, it can help with memory, but not as strong as Huperzine A, Galantamine, Citicoline, Alpha GPC, or Piracetam.

Yes. At 180 mg I notice a potent difference in clarity of mind, but only a small difference in mood or memory. I do not see much of a difference by itself at 45 or 90 mg.

I am not looking for something with a "stimulatory effect" and was wondering what you thought the effects of Idebenone are after you take it. For example, Hydergine made my mind almost racy. It improved my memory but I could not think perfectly clear. How is Idebenone? What does it do for the user?

Vincamine, Hydergine, and Pyritinol are most likely to cause those problems (usually in high doses compared to other nootropics). Idebenone does not appear to have this effect. In your case Idebenone may prove to be effective for memory & clarity of mind, try 45-90 for 1-2 days, if you see no effects consider taking 90-180 mg at once in the morning with meals.

Edited by LifeMirage, 21 May 2003 - 01:14 AM.

#5 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 10:28 PM

I have taken recommended dosages of Vinpocetine and Gingko for about 4 months. I haven't experienced any bad side effects. I started taking these 2 because I felt my memory was not as good as in the past. When I first started with them, they seemed to improve my mood (I wasn't looking for this effect but I noticed it). They didn't make my mind "race". It seemd I could think better "on my feet". I noticed a slight improvement in my ability to recall facts. If I took them too close to bedtime I didn't sleep as well. Now, after a few months, the mood effect is gone (or I just do not notice it). I still "feel" as though I can remember things better, but I do not have any objective proof of this.

Of course, supplements have different effects on different people...side effects too. In my case, Gingko and Vinpocetine seem to have a small but noticeable positive effect on my mental functioning.

#6 LifeMirage

• Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 01:13 AM

What doses were and are you taking?

Most Nootropics are proven to and will positively affect your cognitive abilities and protect your brain against various causes and factors of Brain Aging, although with some people the difference is not perceivable, this should not discourage people from taking them.

Edited by LifeMirage, 21 May 2003 - 01:14 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 ctwickman

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 06:35 PM

Thanks a ton for the information. I will try different combinations and let you know if anything works especially well for me...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users