Photo
- - - - -

Adderall & Wellbutrin

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 salesman

• 115 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 03:05 PM

Ok so i was reading over at the ADHD forum and people are ranting and raving about the combination of adderall and wellbutrin for treating there add/adhd. So does anyone over here currently take both of these as an effective treatment? Would it be better than taking strattera and adderall as a combo?

#2 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 07:31 PM

I tried Wellbutrin/Zyban/Bupropion 300mg/day a couple of years ago and it seemed to reduce my appetite substantially along with some fairly mild stimulant effects -- AND made it possible for me to kick a bad smoking habit too.

[quote name='http://www.obesityresearch.org/cgi/content/full/10/7/633']Obesity Research 10:633-641 (2002)
© 2002 The North American Association for the Study of Obesity

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original Research

Bupropion SR Enhances Weight Loss: A 48-Week Double-Blind, Placebo- Controlled Trial
James W. Anderson*, Frank L. Greenway, Ken Fujioka, Kishore M. Gadde, James McKenney¶ and Patrick M. O’Neil**
* Department of Internal Medicine, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky;
Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana;
Nutrition and Metabolic Research Center, Scripps Clinic Del Mar, San Diego, California;
Department of Psychiatry, Duke University Medical Centre, Durham, North Carolina;
¶ National Clinical Research, Inc., Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia; and
** Weight Management Center, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina.

Address correspondence to Dr. James W. Anderson, Medical Service, 111C, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Lexington, KY 40511. E-mail: jwandersmd@aol.com

Objective: To critically examine the efficacy of bupropion SR for weight loss.

Research Methods and Procedures: This 24-week multicenter, double-blind, placebo-controlled study randomized obese adults to placebo, bupropion SR 300, or 400 mg/d. Subjects were counseled on energy-restricted diets, meal replacements, and exercise. During a 24-week extension, placebo subjects were randomized to bupropion SR 300 or 400 mg/d in a double-blinded manner.

Results: Of 327 subjects enrolled, 227 completed 24 weeks; 192 completed 48 weeks. Percentage losses of initial body weight for subjects completing 24 weeks were 5.0%, 7.2%, and 10.1% for placebo, bupropion SR 300, and 400 mg/d, respectively. Compared with placebo, net weight losses were 2.2% (p = 0.0468) and 5.1% (p < 0.0001) for bupropion SR 300 and 400 mg/d, respectively. The percentages of subjects who lost 5% of initial body weight were 46%, 59%, and 83% (p vs. placebo < 0.0001) for placebo, bupropion SR 300, and 400 mg/d, respectively; weight losses of 10% were 20%, 33%, and 46% (p vs. placebo = 0.0008) for placebo, bupropion SR 300, and 400 mg/d, respectively. Withdrawals, changes in pulse and blood pressure did not differ significantly from placebo at 24 weeks. Subjects who completed 48 weeks maintained mean losses of initial body weight of 7.5% and 8.6% for bupropion SR 300 and 400 mg/d, respectively.

Discussion: Bupropion SR 300 and 400 mg/d were well-tolerated by obese adults and were associated with a 24-week weight loss of 7.2% and 10.1% and sustained weight losses at 48 weeks.
[/quote]

[quote name='http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/02/13/earlyshow/saturday/main600283.shtml']Bupropion is sold under the brand name of Wellbutrin and is an antidepressant. Like some drugs sold specifically to help lose weight, Bupropion makes users feel less hungry. A recent study found that 14 percent of those people who took the drug every day lost about 5 pounds in eight weeks. However, some people experience side effects including anxiety, constipation and nausea.[/quote]

Adderall -- on the other hand -- is a mixture of four amphetamine salts. I don't know if it would be necessary to combine these two drugs. I think the clinical effect of the amphetamines might overpower any effects of Wellbutrin to the point of little or no significance.

[quote name='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adderall']1/4 Dextro-amphetamine Saccharate
1/4 Dextro-amphetamine Sulfate
1/4 dl-amphetamine Aspartate (racemic amphetamine)
1/4 dl-amphetamine Sulfate (racemic amphetamine)[/quote]

Please report if you try it.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 salesman

• Topic Starter
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 03:14 AM

What about Adderall and Adrafinil combined?

#4 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 09:30 PM

I really don't know. I personally think that amphetamines are something you should take after you have tried everything else.

What I can tell you is that one of my friends does take Adderall and Provigil (modafinil). He says that it helps him get going in the morning because the amphetamines give him a rebound effect of being tired the next day.

#5 salesman

• Topic Starter
  • 115 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 12:13 AM

Ok so my doctor just put me on a script for Wellbutrin along with Strattera I dont think he knows what hes doing im going to need a new doctor.

#6 jackinbox

• 452 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 03:09 AM

Wellbutrin + Strattera... First time I see that. Strattera isn't a well rated drugs amount those who tried it. It has a lot of sides effects. Wellbutrin is usely better supported. I plan to try again wellbutrin in combination of adderall. I'm also using atenolol to counter the physical effect of amphetamine. I'm not sure if my doctor will allow me to use all three.

#7 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 07:48 AM

Ok so my doctor just put me on a script for Wellbutrin along with Strattera I dont think he knows what hes doing im going to need a new doctor.

I wouldn't ditch the Doc quite yet. It sounds like he is still working with you.

Wellbutrin + Strattera is at least as experimental at Strattera + Provigil -- at least according to my sources. I think you should give it a try. I took Wellbutrin for a while and it worked okay. However, I took it with Adrafinil. Hey, who knows -- Wellbutrin + Strattera + Provigil might even work for you. Of course, it might be more risky...

This is a good topic on Strattera I think for those new here. I'll reiterate that Strattera isn't great for me without Provigil. However, for me -- that's what seems to work best (my ladies -- however, might tell you a different story). [sfty]

#8 distinct

• 114 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 02:41 PM

Both of those together would likely make my head explode; however, separately they work wonders on me. I'm not a fan of taking amphetamines unless I'm in dire straights though, and a lot of pharms are kind of becoming the same sort of last resort solution for me. I'd try strattera before I jumped into the whole wide world of stimulants if I were you. I have found supplements which seem to work okay on their own, and some which seem to help only if I'm already on a pharmaceutical. Ironically, I forget which ones do which, etc. Haha...

#9 salesman

• Topic Starter
  • 115 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 05:31 PM

If im not mistaken doesnt Wellbutrin a dopamine reuptake inhibitor make better use of a dopamine enhancing agent like amphetamine?

#10 salesman

• Topic Starter
  • 115 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 03:17 PM

Ok so have tried the Wellbutrin and Adderall stack now for a couple weeks and I must say i really like my results. I feel alot less angry and depressed. My ADHD is pretty much in check too. So i will keep you all updated on my progress. As for now I have 2 finals today so I must get going.

Salesman

#11 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:55 PM

It sounds to me like Strattera didn't work out for you, eh?

Good luck with those finals, Salesman!

#12 salesman

• Topic Starter
  • 115 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 03:33 AM

Ok so it has been well over a year now and I went over the previous posts to catchup on what we were talking about. I am still on adderall and wellbutrin. I however am not satiesfied with my results. At first they were a good combo, but now I really dont like wellbutrin. The reason being is I have to take the cheaper kind that is short acting and it makes me tired after I take it. So I am stuck and dont know what to do. I am thinking that maybe I would like hydergine along with addrell but im not sure if there a good mix. I would probably just ween myself off the wellbutrin while starting the hydergine. One other thing I wanted to mention is that I have spoken with my doctor recently about my trial of effexor back in like 2002. From what I remember I think I liked it and it was helpful with my ADHD. I am not sure though cause I can remember that far back I just faintly remember it helping me with my classes and really helped me with my anxiety. Anyone else get help from effexor for ADHD? Or effexor and adderall combo? What about Depreynl for ADHD? Do you have to have a prescription for hydergine? If so wont most docters not prescribe it here anyway?

Thanks,
Salesman

#13 rebuild101

• 80 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 11:47 AM

I don't have first hand experience with effexor. And although it sounds like you've already tried it, I'd be careful starting on it again -- seems to have many side effects.

Thanks for digging up this post. I'm currently taking Adderall and my doc is considering the option of including Wellbutrin (guess I should update my thread soon). It doesn't sound like it's a good long term approach, however.

You mentioned you were taking immediate release for Wellbutrin. I'm assuming that was the same for the Adderall. Or are you taking Adderall XR?

#14 thegreatrowah

• 22 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 12:25 AM

I was on Effexor for 3 months, and from what I've noticed, there are two main things I don't like:

1) Sexual side effects (substantial loss of sexual desire)
2) Loss of energy (I feel run-down in the afternoon)

I've stopped taking effexor, and my sexual desire and energy is starting to come back. However, it is important to state that effexor was very effective in helping me deal with my social anxiety, as well as my depression. I also lost approximately 10 pounds on effexor. I have noticed that it suppresses my appetite, to at least 50% of what it was before. Now that I have stopped taking effexor, I notice my appetite is back to what it was, and I am starting to gain my weight back.

I hope that helps,

The Great RowaH

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#15 thegreatrowah

• 22 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 03:25 PM

By the way, I have checked out Wikipedia, and it advises against the Wellbutrin/Adderall stack.

According to Wikipedia. . .

". . .Both bupropion and amphetamine have noradrengic and dopaminergic activity. Possible augmentation/potentiation of effects. Bupropion has pro-convulsant properties that may be enhanced or cumulatively potentiated by amphetamine.(eg; bupropion (Wellbutrin IR, SR, XL) and (Zyban) etc.) Use only when directed."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users