Photo
- - - - -

What constitutes an empty stomach?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 04:41 PM

Take with food, on a full stomach, away from food, on an empty stomach.

With all the supps many of us take, when do enough supplements combined with powders and the like become food themselves? I hope this doesn't appear pseudophilosophical, but what is a full stomach if you're eating 10 pills with protein powder for example? How much food would one need to properly metabolize most supps?

#2 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 04:50 PM

Good question. It has been bothering me as well.. "don't take on an empty stomach" seems to be an excuse for constant snacking heheh

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 shifter

• 716 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:54 PM

I'm worried if I take supps on a really full stomach, that the miniscule amount of powder will be missed by the intestines as its all covered up inside food. (for some reason things go out the other end of me really quick as it is).

So I usually just take things with some dried goji berries or other supps which are just fruit extracts (and of course the gelatin capsules), to stimulate the digestive system so it doesn't sit in a pit of acid for too long. Also I have one bottle of Rhodiola that says to take on an empty stomach and another that says to take with a meal, so who knows.

#4 Pablo M

• 636 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 12:05 AM

In my own practice, I take "empty stomach" to mean 30 minutes before or 2 hours after eating. It would be interesting to test some absorption rates. Something I have thought about: Vitamin D and ginkgo are fat-soluble. Given the choice between taking them on an empty stomach and taking them with a high-fiber meal such as oatmeal, which would be better? Fiber does interfere with the absorption of fat. Likewise, does taking fish oil with some fiber cause some of my hard-earned money to be lost?

#5 ora101

• 30 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:58 PM

Been bothering me as well. My Rhodiola bottle from AOR stated to take it on an empty stomach, whereas Jarrow says to take theirs with a meal. Of course I've always taken it seperately before a meal, but still, it really would be nice to get some more concrete information on absorption rates and how to optimally take things throughout the day.

For one, probiotics should be taken with fiber, i.e. oatmeal, so I take them in the morning with breakfast, but refrain from taking more than a multi with the oatmeal on account of its uptake reduction.

Another thing is that cold water impairs digestion somewhat (lowering acidity), so it would seem that drinking something warm would be the way to go. But if you're drinking green tea specifically, hasn't it been shown to affect uptake of certain nutrients negatively?

#6 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 February 2007 - 04:21 AM

Take with food, on a full stomach, away from food, on an empty stomach.

With all the supps many of us take, when do enough supplements combined with powders and the like become food themselves? I hope this doesn't appear pseudophilosophical, but what is a full stomach if you're eating 10 pills with protein powder for example? How much food would one need to properly metabolize most supps?

45 minutes befor eating
2 hours after eating solid meal
1 hour after eating liquid meal

Been bothering me as well. My Rhodiola bottle from AOR stated to take it on an empty stomach, whereas Jarrow says to take theirs with a meal. Of course I've always taken it seperately before a meal, but still, it really would be nice to get some more concrete information on absorption rates and how to optimally take things throughout the day.

take rhodiola on an empty stomach.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 kurt

• 59 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:35 PM

If you want to get your amino acid supplement across the BBB its only logical to take it on empty stomach.
I suppose most supplements can be taken with food. Some supplements might even be better absorbed this way.
Agree?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users