• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

First ImmInst Voice Chat

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 05:25 AM

Ok, so at night during the week seems like the best time. I am going to go ahead and make it for Thursday, March 1st at 10 pm (22:00) EST (in the US: 9 Central, 8 Mountain, 7 Western). It should last about 30 minutes to an hour, give or take a little.

Here is the calculation for the time it will be in different parts of the world at 10pm (22:00) EST March 1st:
http://www.timeandda...n=0&sec=0&p1=25

Unless anyone has serious objections to that time (can bump it around if we need to)

It will be a Skypecast (info on Skypecasts below), and here is the page for it (I scheduled it):
https://skypecasts.s...?id_talk=495059
(You can always go to the "OnGoing" Skype page when it starts and do a search for it https://skypecasts.s...pecasts/ongoing )

Hopefully it is a success!

Tentative topics so far:
Introductions (ImmInst screen name and where you are from)
Questions/discussion about supplements, exercise, etc.
Questions/discussion about cryonics
MPrize and Aubrey de Grey discussion/questions/whatever
Latest ImmInst advertising strategies and thoughts
Thoughts on upcoming ImmInst conference
Questions and answers about anything life extension related

Original Message:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, I am reviving the voice chat idea.

I am going to set up a one time thing to test it out and see how it works. If it is a success, maybe we will do future ones, but right now I am just concerned with this one time.

Details:
It is going to be a Skypecast, using the freely downloadable Skype software. (usually used to make free phone calls over the internet) As long as it is less than 100 people (which I expect it will be), it will work fine. Anyone who has a microphone and speakers on their computer will be able to attend. (actually, even if you don't have a mic you can still listen to other people talk)

I will moderate the discussion, and probably come up with a a few topics to discuss. It will probably just be a short thing, but I would like to try it out if some of you guys are game.

I am thinking some time in the next week or two, if possible. I would like some of the regulars around here to come so we can listen to each others voices.

What time/date is best for everyone?? (I realize there won't be a perfect time for everyone since we all live in different time zones)

Edited by Live Forever, 02 March 2007 - 02:57 AM.

#2 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 05:37 AM

I'm good for most any night during the week.

#3 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 05:41 AM

I think I can be open most of next week also.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 air90

• Guest, F@H
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 05:44 AM

You could try checking out a teamspeak server. You don't have to call anyone just need to know the server address, people can come and go as they please and have separate conversations within the server. I think it would be a better option for a community like this than skype. Also you wouldn't have to set a time/date, people can just come and go as they please like a chat room.

http://www.goteamspeak.com/

#5 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 06:17 AM

You could try checking out a teamspeak server.  You don't have to call anyone just need to know the server address, people can come and go as they please and have separate conversations within the server. I think it would be a better option for a community like this than skype. Also you wouldn't have to set a time/date, people can just come and go as they please like a chat room.

http://www.goteamspeak.com/

The main advantages that I see with Skype is that 1) lots of people already have it (it is the biggest VOIP provider) to make free phone calls on the internet, and 2) we don't have to have a dedicated server to use it. (everything is hosted on the Skype servers) Also, the time/date would have to be set up anyway to make sure other people were there. (I know how hard it is to get more than 2 people in our regular chat room at once now)
There were some discussions of using other things in previous threads, but I think since Skype is so easy to use and widespread that we will use it. If someone would like to do something different in the future, (or try to get a dedicated ImmInst host for full time voice chat) feel free, but I am familiar with Skype so that is what I am setting up. :)

Also, I have never really done a Skypecast with more than about 3 people at a time, so I thought it would be fun to try out. If it is a flop, then we can try something different in the future.

I'm good for most any night during the week.

I think I can be open most of next week also.

You guys are in the central timezone of the US right?

Edited by Live Forever, 23 February 2007 - 06:34 AM.

#6 air90

• Guest, F@H
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 06:25 AM

can you have a round table type talk in skype (when everyone can hear everything) or is it just 1 on 1?

#7 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 06:33 AM

can you have a round table type talk in skype (when everyone can hear everything) or is it just 1 on 1?

It is called a Skypecast and up to 100 people at a time can participate. It is really easy to do, and if you click on the page now you can see a lot of them going on (although most have 0 participants, cause people create them all the time, but here is a link to the constantly updated list of the ones listed with most participants listed first) and can look at all of the upcoming ones. Here is the link to the FAQ on it for more info.

Edited by Live Forever, 23 February 2007 - 11:00 PM.

#8 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 06:38 AM

Lol... by about 20 miles

#9 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 07:10 AM

Sounds like a great idea. Without some agenda though...might be moments of really long pauses or utter confusion...I dunno.

#10 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 07:26 AM

Sounds like a great idea.  Without some agenda though...might be moments of really long pauses or utter confusion...I dunno.

Its ok. I have some ideas of things to talk about. If anyone has any suggestions of topics, those are welcome too.

#11 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 02:29 PM

Yep.

#12 futureofscience

• 182 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 03:07 PM

Any chance of it being recorded ? Would be good to hear some discussions going on but with the time zone issue/ prior engagements it would give people chance to listen to it at their leisure. But I don't know how feasible it would be.

#13 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 08:37 PM

Any chance of it being recorded ? Would be good to hear some discussions going on but with the time zone issue/ prior engagements it would give people chance to listen to it at their leisure. But I don't know how feasible it would be.

Yep, it is easy to record. Thanks for the reminder. I will make sure and record it and post it as an mp3.

#14 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 10:57 PM

Hopefully there will be some people that know about supplements and things to answer any questions, because I am totally clueless to that kind of stuff.

Anyone have any specific topics they would like to talk about? I was just going to make a list of a few of the current discussions going on.

Also, should this be an open one (that anyone can join), or should it be set up to be private, so only ImmInst members can get on? I was thinking open in case others want to see what we are talking about.

#15 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:03 PM

Hopefully there will be some people that know about supplements and things to answer any questions, because I am totally clueless to that kind of stuff.

Let's try to get some of our Health Navigators in on this, they could be helpful. And zoolander, of course.

#16 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:12 PM

Honestly, I'm not so up on this idea. How does it work? Speaking as a brutal luddite when it comes to skype, and any kind of VOIP...how does on moderate such a discussion?

So much shame right now.

#17 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:15 PM

how does on moderate such a discussion?

Shout.

Actually, I've never used it either and don't even have a microphone at the moment.

#18 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:43 PM

Yeah, from watching my step bro on TeamSpeak, things can get pretty messy, but hey, I'm willing to join in and see if we can work something out just so we can say we tried...

Honestly, unless we designate a leader for the conversation and lay out some ground rules here, I don't think it will make it past the first test. Also, I think we will eventually need to limit who will be allowed into the chats based on their previous history.

Example: If it starts getting really loud. Everyone just shut up for a few seconds and let the leader restart the conversation.

#19 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:47 PM

Honestly, I'm not so up on this idea. How does it work? Speaking as a brutal luddite when it comes to skype, and any kind of VOIP...how does on moderate such a discussion?

So much shame right now.

You really have to try it to see, but basically there are 3 levels of people: 1) those with permission to speak, 2) those waiting to speak, and 3) those just listening.

When you first sign in, you are in the group that is just listening (generally the largest group), and you click the "request to talk" button at the top when you want to talk, which moves you into group 2. The moderator can allow anyone to talk, bump someone from speaking ability down to regular, or bump someone from the room completely if they are being bad.

It is really very easy, and once you are in there for about 15 seconds you will realize how it works. The moderator can make it so that everyone can talk, but there is so much background noise if you do that it makes it hard to hear anything.

I would recommend downloading Skype and going to a Skypecast or 2 (if only for a few minutes) to see how it works if you are really interested. Here is the constantly updated list of the most active Skypecasts at any one moment (make sure you pick one that speaks English, haha):
https://skypecasts.s...pecasts/ongoing

Yeah, from watching my step bro on TeamSpeak, things can get pretty messy, but hey, I'm willing to join in and see if we can work something out just so we can say we tried...

Honestly, unless we designate a leader for the conversation and lay out some ground rules here, I don't think it will make it past the first test. Also, I think we will eventually need to limit who will be allowed into the chats based on their previous history.

Example: If it starts getting really loud. Everyone just shut up for a few seconds and let the leader restart the conversation.

Yeah, as stated in my reply to MitKat, that shouldn't be a problem. I will only be allowing 3-7 people to talk at a time (depending on what is being discussed), and if someone gets noisy I will bounce them back down to only listening status.

Some ground rules and a basic layout wouldn't be a bad idea, though. Any suggestions? (I was thinking I would post a list of the topics to be discussed beforehand, so that everyone can see it and get some ideas beforehand)

#20 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 12:31 AM

Ah ok, sounds like we've all covered most of the issues here... um, for topics... maybe we could discuss some of the latest in Imminst advertisement strategies, Imminst's growth stats, The upcomming conference?

#21 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 01:35 AM

I just updated first post and title of this thread and moved it to News and Events forum since the time/day is now set.

Here is the page for our Skypecast:
https://skypecasts.s...?id_talk=495059
(You can always go to the "OnGoing" Skype page when it starts and do a search for it https://skypecasts.s...pecasts/ongoing )

If you go there when it starts, you should see a "Sign in to Join" (if you aren't signed in) or a "Join this Skypecast" (if you are signed in) link.

It is going to start Thursday, March 1st at 10 pm (22:00) EST, and last 30 minutes to an hour (give or take). Here is the calculation for different time zones around the world at that time:
http://www.timeandda...n=0&sec=0&p1=25

I'd still like to hear thoughts on topics to discuss. I will post the final list of topics in this thread an hour or 2 before it starts.

Edited by Live Forever, 02 March 2007 - 02:53 AM.

#22 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 04:28 PM

If I have time I'll jump in on this.

#23 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 01:07 AM

Reason gave us a plug on the FightAging! blog:
http://www.fightagin...ives/001135.php

#24 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 07:08 AM

I posted about it at BetterHumans:
http://www.betterhum...-10-pm-est.aspx

Hopefully lots of people show up tonight!

#25 futureofscience

• 182 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:40 AM

Don't forget to record it, would love to hear the discussion but don't really fancy staying up until 3am local time for it [thumb]

#26 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 07:07 PM

Don't forget to record it, would love to hear the discussion but don't really fancy staying up until 3am local time for it  [thumb]

I will definitely do so.

If/when we do another one, we will have to do it at a different time so that you can participate too.

#27 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:49 PM

i'll try to show up for a bit.

#28 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:58 PM

Unfortunately I haven't got a headset so I won't be there. I will do my best to get a headset with mic over the next week or so. Any recommendations?

EDIT: I might just pop in and listen. I will be in the lab at around that time. Nate can you have yahoo messenger open at the same time. That way, if I want to say something I can use you as my mouth piece.

Anyhow, hopefully all goes well.

#29 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:56 PM

I plan on making this, but a tornado just tore apart my home town, so I've been relaying calls all day to figure out who's still kickin'. I'll show up if I can.

#30 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:16 PM

That's no excuse shepard Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users