Photo
- - - - -

How to decrease DOPAMINE?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 erbrecht

• 2 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:49 AM

Hi, I was wondering if there is a safe way to drastically decrease my dopamine levels in the left striatum part of the brain. If not decrease, then at least modulate it. I have a moderate stutter that has been shown to be caused by too much dopamine in the left striatum. I DONT want to use antipsychotics. Also, GABA type supplements such as theanine, phenibut, picamillon, etc will do not work properly for this sort of thing.

Any ideas???

thanks.

#2 garethnelsonuk

• 355 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 11:51 PM

What's your reason for not using anti-psychotics? If it's the side effects, then it may be worth noting that the side effects are often due to the artifically lowered dopamine levels.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 fast turtle

• 73 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 01:58 AM

Aldomet probably would, but there's no way to just make it target the left striatum. Maybe if you just gamma-knifed a chunk of the left striatum and partially destroyed it you might get the result of decreased dopamine, but of course that's not an option as you'd totally screw up your brain.

Anecdotally, acute doses of MDMA (100-120mg) with therapy has resolved stuttering, but as that would be illegal, I wouldn't recommend it. There are other strongly neurotoxic compounds that reduce levels of dopamine permanently, like methamphetamine. Additionally, most prolactin releasing compounds eg estradiol tend to reduce levels of dopamine, but that's probably a little too heavy on side effects and risk for most poeple.

#4 djmmm

• 28 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 02:03 PM

Any SSRI will do the trick.

#5 Dr_Amateur

• 1 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:53 AM

By what mechanism would methamphetamine lower dopamine in the long-term?

#6 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:21 AM

How do you know you want to lower your dopamine levels?

I would think in your case noradrenaline would be what you want to lower?

Anyone else care to chime in?~?!~ :unsure:

#7 KimberCT

• 472 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:57 PM

Mangosteen extract... selective 5-HT2A antagonistic properties will do just this.

#8 NG_F

• 142 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 01:28 AM

Hi, I was wondering if there is a safe way to drastically decrease my dopamine levels in the left striatum part of the brain. If not decrease, then at least modulate it. I have a moderate stutter that has been shown to be caused by too much dopamine in the left striatum. I DONT want to use antipsychotics. Also, GABA type supplements such as theanine, phenibut, picamillon, etc will do not work properly for this sort of thing.

Any ideas???

thanks.

How do you know you have over activity in the Left Striatum, Have you had a SPECT,PET or fMRI which demonstrated hyperactivity? Or do you have a structural lesion which was shown on an MRI?(Cavernoma,hemorrhage,infarct or remote trauma)

Yes overactivity in the left striatum, particularly the left head of the caudate nucleus can cause stuttering.I have what appears to be either a cavernous Malformation or Lacunar Hemorrhage-Type II Lacune.It's hard to deffrentiate.

I have very mild, transient stuttering but present with mostly word finding difficulty,attention problems,mild cognitive impairments, abulia, and OCD.

Stuttering can also be caused by impairment in the auditory processing areas(Weirneke's area) and speech area(Broca's) besides the striatum or basal ganglia.

I have read that a mild atypical AP can be useful in people that have cavernomas in the striatum from the Angioma Alliance community forums. Amisulpride or Ziprazadone may be efficacious.

Also a low dose of anticonvulsant oxcarbazepine can be used to slow down the anterior cingulate circuit but one has to weigh the benefits to disadvantages of medication because as fastturtle stated you cannot just target one small area of the brain without affecting it in a diffuse manner as well.

Some gabaergics might show to be useful something like topirimate which lowers excessive glutamate and also excessive norepinephrine..Also there is a drug that might hold promise and is called Pagoclone which is from the cyclopyrrolone family or z-drugs (Zolpidem and zopliclone or eszopiclone) It is a nonbenzodiazepine drug that is a partial agonist at the GABAa receptors.
It produces anxiolytic effects without the sedative or amnestic effects.
It can also can be a social drug and produces feelings of relaxation and well being, similar to alcohol.So there is pottential for abuse, but I bet many numbers of members here would find this drug to be pleasing to the palette lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pagoclone

SSRI's will modulate and control excessive surges of norepinephrine and dopamine.I know of a girl that was treated with lexapro effectively after she had a car accident.her MRI revealed a DAI(Diffuse axonal injury) shearing type lesions that ivolved the left head of the caudate nucleus among other structures.So if your having other symptoms besides stuttering or stammering then they can be of great value.

I'd be curious as to how you were diagnosed with iimpairment in the left striatum? Let me know and best of luck

#9 tlm884

• 597 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:55 AM

Any ideas???

thanks.

Drastically reducing your dopamine may lead to Parkinson like symptoms. Replacing your stutter for shaking isn't what your looking to do.

#10 Delta Gamma

• 265 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:18 AM

Vigorous and frequent masturbation > increased prolactin > decreased dopamine?

Without sounding crass, this would probably be the easiest and safest way to decrease dopamine.
Also, though I'm not exactly familiar with mangosteen extract the 5h2a receptor is really maddeningly complex. Its dopamine releasing/inhibiting effects depend on a number of factors, with 5ht1a agonization/antagonization being one of the main ones.

Edited by Delta Gamma, 24 November 2010 - 09:22 AM.

#11 NR2(x)

• 253 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:03 AM

Ok lets not just talk about "dopamine", there is the molecule and then there is how it behaves in the body(or hint what it signifies), these are completely differenet things.
If you dont frame the question correctly you will get the wrong answer. These different attributes are often dipole opposites interms of how they effect neurological function. Also often attributes will not be linearly defined against your object.
Tonic Or Phasic???
D1,D2,D3 or D4???
Or dopamine metabolites??

What is your object, what would a excessive of dopamine in the stratium signify.

I would wildly guess, that suttering is a result of excessive tonic d2 stimulation. Tonic reffers to the basal level, what the body is conditioned to leave in the extracelular space. D2 is a G protien coupled receptor that decreases cAMP and decrease flexiability of working memory through its inhibition of NMDA receptor trafficing. This decrease in flexability is compensated by an increase in crystalised working memory(kind of)(hence its existence).

Dopamine 1 could help, but isnt druggable. I dont have any specific recommendations, increase natural metabolism and you do decrease D2 stimulation, then tho D2 increase metabolism.

I would recommend stay clear of caffeine unless your are sure it helps you alot, because caffeine agonises the adenosine A2A which is joined by something to the d2 protien, agonise one and agonise the other.

#12 NR2(x)

• 253 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:06 AM

By what mechanism would methamphetamine lower dopamine in the long-term?

This is highly off topic and not really necessary. But I understand that it causes oxidative stress particularly in dopamine neurons, this causes rampent direct(mitochondrail)(maybe through extrasynatpic NMDA receptors) apoptics actions in these neurons,

Edited by NR2(x), 24 November 2010 - 10:06 AM.

#13 TophetLOL

• 88 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:14 AM

nipple stimulation is also an option for that route

Without sounding crass, this would probably be the easiest and safest way to decrease dopamine.
Also, though I'm not exactly familiar with mangosteen extract the 5h2a receptor is really maddeningly complex. Its dopamine releasing/inhibiting effects depend on a number of factors, with 5ht1a agonization/antagonization being one of the main ones.

• dislike x 1

#14 tlm884

• 597 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:21 AM

So, could to much masturbation lead to depleted dopamine sufficient to cause ADHD?

#15 Delta Gamma

• 265 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:06 PM

So, could to much masturbation lead to depleted dopamine sufficient to cause ADHD?

Its very doubtful, nature seems to have made it impossible to have too much sex, so unless you masturbate or have sex 4-6 times a day or more you're likely in a safe zone. I have a friend that managed to half his dose of quetiapine by going at it 3-4 times a day, granted I really didn't want to know that x/

Its worth a shot, especially in the morning as prolactin levels seem to remain elevated for a few hours after.

#16 tlm884

• 597 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:17 PM

Its very doubtful, nature seems to have made it impossible to have too much sex, so unless you masturbate or have sex 4-6 times a day or more you're likely in a safe zone. I have a friend that managed to half his dose of quetiapine by going at it 3-4 times a day, granted I really didn't want to know that x/

Its worth a shot, especially in the morning as prolactin levels seem to remain elevated for a few hours after.

Who said I don't jack it 4 times a day :P I am 21 years old and single.

#17 outsider

• 396 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:44 AM

Acorus calamus (vacha) is the best herb from ayurveda for stuttering. Vacha in sanskrit means "to speak". It's a sedative.

Protective effect of acorus calamus against acrylamide induced neurotoxicity.
Shukla PK, Khanna VK, Ali MM, Maurya RR, Handa SS, Srimal RC.

Industrial Toxicology Research Centre, Lucknow, India.
Abstract
Exposure of rats to acrylamide (ACR) caused hind limb paralysis in 58% of the animals on day 10 and decreased behavioural parameters, namely distance travelled, ambulatory time, stereotypic time and basal stereotypic movements compared with the control group. These rats also had a decrease in the reduced glutathione (GSH) content and glutathione-S-transferase (GST) activity in the corpus striatum and an increase in striatal dopamine receptors, as evident by an increase in the binding of 3H-spiperone to striatal membranes. Treatment with the ethanol:water (1:1) extract of the rhizomes of Acorus calamus (AC-002) increased the GSH content and GST activity in the corpus striatum while insignificant changes were observed in other parameters. Rats treated with ACR and AC-002 in combination had a lower incidence of paralysis (18%) compared with those treated with ACR alone on day 10 of the experiment. The rats also showed a partial recovery in other behavioural parameters. The levels of GSH content and GST activity increased in the corpus striatum, while the dopamine receptors decreased compared with the ACR treated rats. The results suggest that the neurobehavioural changes produced by ACR may be prevented following treatment with Acorus calamus rhizomes.
  • like x 1

#18 dylesid

• 21 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 01:41 PM

Once I had a very big problem with a GBL addiction and I had tried to find out how to stop to release huge amounts of dopamine every time after GBL stops working. One of the guys from a secret drugs forum sent me a strange message. I cannot confirm that anything below is true or not, maybe someone could check it, I don't know how...

"I've found a cure to dopamine rebound and can't post
Hi, I have been trying to post this, but it keeps telling me I don't have permission to access the page.
You need to hear this as does everyone who is an addict!
Please post this for me. For some reason I am being blocked.
I (ahem) had a dream that I made a major discovery that could help people who are suffering the agonizing cycle of GHB addiction.
I have searched posts here and all over the internet, to see if anyone else had tried this. No one has, and the solution came to me in less than five minutes of internet research.
I my dream I walked into an herb store, disheveled and agonizing with GHB withdrawals.
In a desperate attempt to test my theory I purchased $20 worth of herbs (rather pricey).
It worked. It worked.
This is important knowledge. I will summarize for your benefit:
GHB withdrawl is prinicpally caused by a dopamine rebound that occours when GHB's natural suppression of dopamine in the brain wears off.
All I did was google: herbs and "regulates dopamine."
I didn't even need to spend a lot of time searching.
Gotu Kola came right up.
In my dream, I took four Gotu Kola capsules during pretty serious withdrawals. I was not expecting immediate results; I figured it had an off chance of working, but probably would take a lot of building up this herb in my system.
To my surprise, my withdrawal symptoms eased to a very comfortable level (not 100%, but close enough) within four minutes of ingesting 4 capsules of Gotu Kola!
I have dreamed I have tried this for about four days now. Caution: Taking Gotu Kola while dosing keeps the suppression of dopamine from happening to begin with-- as a result, when you dose and take Gotu Kola, you get that dopamine bad feeling... BUT if you take it right as you start to feel uncomfortable, it works. Like alleviates 80% of withdrawal symptoms!
Not only that, in my dreams I am not so crazy about dosing up all the time now. The psychological factor seems to be mitigated, but maybe that's just me.
Also in my dreams I don't take very heavy "pass out" doses anymore. I think both the cravings and the heavy dosing were [art of a stratagem I used to get high and stay high, which is no longer necessary."

#19 Delta Gamma

• 265 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:47 PM

Hey, have you had any luck with our suggestions so far? Also, does your stuttering tend to get worst or better under high focus or high stress conditions?

#20 SuperjackDid_

• 528 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:22 PM

Please help ,how to selective decrease D2/D3 dopamine receptors ?

#21 KoolK3n

• 253 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:37 PM

Please help ,how to selective decrease D2/D3 dopamine receptors ?

Amisulpride

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#22 Guest_freeeasywanderer_*

• Lurker

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:54 PM

5-htp

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users