- - - - -

TA Sciences announces TA-65

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 resveratrol

• 340 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 07:19 PM

From today's LEF homepage (http://www.lef.org/n...6&Section=AGING):

New Product Scientifically Battles Aging at the Cellular Level-Exclusively licensed from the Geron Corporation, TA-65 is the world's first Telomerase Activator

PR Newswire

04-09-07

NEW YORK, April 9, 2007 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Telomerase Activation Sciences, Inc. (TA Sciences) announced on March 12 its license with Geron to develop and market non-therapeutic products using Geron's small molecule telomerase activators. Now TA Sciences announces the opening of the TA Sciences Center in Manhattan where customers can purchase TA Sciences' first product, a nutraceutical containing the telomerase activating agent "TA-65."

"TA Sciences welcomes our first customers and the launch of the world's first telomerase activator product," said Noel Thomas Patton, founder of TA Sciences. "A natural consequence of aging is the shortening of telomeres (caps of DNA located at the ends of all chromosomes), which ultimately results in loss of cell function. TA-65 offers the potential of reducing or reversing telomere shortening and battles tissue and organ degeneration by rejuvenating aging cells."

TA-65 is the result of vigorous scientific research that began at Geron in 1992. Already the response from the scientific community to the news of TA Sciences' ground-breaking launch has been very enthusiastic: "Telomerase Activation is the single most promising approach to reversing the effects of aging," said Michael Fossel, MD, PhD., Clinical Professor of Medicine at Michigan State University, author, and recognized authority on aging and age- related clinical disease.

And Dr. William H. Andrews, founder of Sierra Sciences, LLC and one of the principal discoverers of the telomerase genes, said: "Cleopatra, Ponce de Leon, and untold others throughout the ages have searched for the secrets of youth. That search has been futile, until now: Telomerase Activation is the first and only scientifically sound way to approach anti- aging. TA-65 is the first product in history that has been proven to slow or reverse cellular aging. Congratulations to TA Sciences and Geron!"

On April 30, 2007 TA Sciences plans to publish the results of the Pivotal 2005 Anti-Aging Trial, which is the first ever human clinical trial of a telomerase activator. This trial shows statistical verification of the anti- aging benefits of telomerase activation.

The TA Sciences Center is located at 24 E. 64th Street in New York. The company offers its telomerase-activating products as part of the 12 month "Patton Protocol." The driver of TA Sciences' product line is the telomerase- activating small molecule "TA-65," sold under license from Geron. For more information on TA Sciences visit http://www.TASciences.com or call 888-360-8886. For more information on Geron visit http://www.Geron.com.

SOURCE TA Sciences Inc.

CONTACT: Greta Blackburn of TA Sciences Inc., cell, +1-818-634-5941

URL: http://www.tasciences.com

http://www.Geron.com

http://www.prnewswire.com www.prnewswire.com

Discuss.

#2 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 08:05 PM

Nice... I wasn't expecting to see a product like this for a while! I'm want to see mice studies! Off to pubmed.
Hmmm. No luck yet. There is a good discussion of telomerase that occurred recently in the SENS forum on ImmInst though. Checking it out will get you up to speed.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 proteomist

• 177 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 08:08 PM

Nice... I wasn't expecting to see a product like this for a while! I'm want to see mice studies! Off to pubmed.

Good luck. You'll find some studies on Astragalus extract, but since they never name their active ingredient it's rather tough. 'TA-65' brings up nothing.

Edit: Pubmed search 'astrogaloside' brings up hits, but 'astrogaloside' and 'telomere' or 'telomerase' brings up nothing.

Posts on other boards indicate these guys want to charge >$25,000 to participate in their one year 'study'.

Edited by proteomist, 09 April 2007 - 08:20 PM.

#4 resveratrol

• Topic Starter
  • 340 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 08:26 PM

I'd also like to add to this question to the discussion:

What is the consensus on the viability of telomerase activation as an anti-aging strategy? Bogus or no?

#5 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 09:22 PM

The jury is still out. The principle concern is that telomerase activation will increase tumor growth and cause malignancy. That said there is some evidence out there that suggests that telomerase may help to induce apoptosis of genetically damaged cells which causes a decrease in cancer rates. So who knows at this point.

I haven't seen NEARLY enough evidence to ever consider participating in the study. Here is the link to the good telomerase discussion in SENS:
http://www.imminst.o...=173&t=12276&s=

Telomerase activation will be part of longevity treatments in the future however I don't think we know enough to test this product on humans right now....

#6 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 01:31 AM

From the Geron site (cached)

Menlo Park, CA — February 3, 2006 -- Geron Corporation (Nasdaq: GERN) announced today the presentation of studies showing that its small molecule telomerase activators, TAT0001 and TAT0002, enhance the functional activity of immune cells from HIV/AIDS donors. The research, presented at the Gordon Research Conference “The Biology of Aging” in Ventura, California, demonstrated that the telomerase activators not only increased the proliferative capacity of cytotoxic (CD8+) T-cells and their ability to produce a virus-fighting molecule, gamma Interferon (IFNγ), but also improved the ability of CD8+ cells from HIV-positive donors to inhibit virus production in infected CD4+ T-cells.

The new data, presented by Rita Effros, Ph.D., professor of pathology and laboratory medicine at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, was the product of a joint research effort between Geron scientists, Dr. Effros and colleagues at UCLA. The ongoing research in Dr. Effros’ laboratory is supported by TA Therapeutics, a joint venture between Geron Corporation and the Biotechnology Research Corporation, a company established by the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology.

During the progression of HIV disease, certain immune cells called CD8+ cytotoxic T-cells undergo accelerated replicative senescence (cellular aging), and lose their ability to proliferate and kill HIV-infected CD4+ T-cells. Previous work by Dr. Effros and colleagues demonstrated that introducing the telomerase gene into CD8+ cells from HIV/AIDS donors increased their proliferative capacity, their ability to produce IFNγ, and their ability to inhibit viral replication and kill HIV-infected T-cells. Dr. Effros demonstrated that the small molecule telomerase activators TAT0001 (GRN951) and TAT0002 (GRN665) improved the proliferative response of T-cells and increased IFNγ production. The new data presented at the Gordon Conference showed that HIV-specific CD8+ cells pre-treated with either TAT0001 or TAT0002 had enhanced ability to inhibit viral replication when co-cultured with HIV-infected CD4+ cells.

“The new work conducted by Dr. Effros confirms and extends her earlier studies with TAT0001 and TAT0002, showing that our drug candidates enhance multiple functions of the cytotoxic T-cells that keep HIV in check,” stated Calvin B. Harley, Ph.D., Geron’s chief scientific officer. “These data, our ongoing safety studies and other product development activities are leading us to a novel pharmacologic approach for the treatment of HIV/AIDS.”

Geron is a biopharmaceutical company developing and commercializing three groups of products: i) therapeutic products for oncology that target telomerase; ii) pharmaceuticals that activate telomerase in tissues impacted by senescence, injury or degenerative disease; and iii) cell-based therapies derived from its human embryonic stem cell platform for applications in multiple chronic diseases.

This news release may contain forward-looking statements made pursuant to the “safe harbor” provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Investors are cautioned that such forward-looking statements in this press release regarding future applications of Geron Corporation’s technology and compounds constitute forward-looking statements involving risks and uncertainties, including, without limitation, risks inherent in the development and commercialization of potential products, need for additional capital, reliance on collaborators, need for regulatory approvals or clearances, and maintenance of our intellectual property rights. Actual results may differ materially from the results anticipated in these forward-looking statements. Additional information on potential factors that could affect our results and other risks and uncertainties are detailed from time to time in Geron’s periodic reports, including the quarterly report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended September 30, 2005.

Rita B. Effros, Ph.D

The small molecule telomerase activators:

TAT0001 (GRN951)
TAT0002 (GRN665)

From WIKI Astragalus

Medicinal use

Astragalus membranaceus, or huángqí (黄芪, literally "yellow leader"; also called běiqí, 北芪, literally "northern leader") is a tonic herb originally used in Chinese medicine. It is believed to be a galactagogue, and recent studies show that it may strengthen the human immune system.

The natural gum tragacanth, which is used in pharmaceuticals and textiles, is obtained from Astragalus tragacanthus. It is claimed to help the immune system, and to increase the body's resistance to common viruses.

In western herbal medicine, Astragalus is primarily considered a tonic for enhancing metabolism and digestion and is consumed as a tea made from the roots of the plant. It is also traditionally used to strengthen the immune system and in the healing of wounds and injuries[[1]].

According to [TAsciences.com], a derivative of this plant called TA-65 can be used as a telomerase activator. This company, which has a license from Geron Corporation, will begin offering TA-65 as a neutraceutical anti-aging substance in April of 2007.

#7 aaaaaaal

• 94 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 01:03 PM

We'll have to wait for the results of the trial on the 30th.

#8 tom a

• 121 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 05:32 PM

Have there even been any animal studies of these sort of telomerase activators?

Such a technique would seem to be very powerful, with potentially great effects either in the positive or negative direction -- perhaps both.

Why haven't I heard about animal studies regarding this, if they exist?

#9 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 06:54 PM

I sent them an email yesterday asking that question. Hopefully I will get a response.

#10 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:22 PM

Here is a brief summary of ta science's study of at-65:
There are some pretty huge biomarker improvements.
http://www.tasciences.com/ta/blum.html

And the email he sent me:
Dear Dr. Demere,
Please see Dr. Calvin Harley's 2002 paper titled "Telomerase is not an Oncogene." You can find it in the Science Library section of our web site.
Yours truly,
Noel Thomas Patton

The paper:
http://www.nature.co...l/1205076a.html

#11 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:36 PM

Is this actually available for sale?

#12 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:02 PM

I believe that they're administering it as part of their $20,000/year anti aging therapy.

Sign me up [:o]

$20,000 mmm Let's see I could sell my car and get a bike (probably an anti-aging strategy in itself)...

#13 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:13 PM

I'd like to see more research on Astragalus if indeed a component of this herb increases telomerase then isolating it and seperating it from or getting a highly concentrated standardized extract shouldn't be to hard.... Can we say the next resveratrol...

#14 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 04:23 AM

... I smell hucksterism. I'd give it five years, minimum.

If by hucksterism you mean they are out to milk this thing for all it's worth, then that sounds about right. But I don't smell fraud here. The early human trial results that lucid mentions above are pretty impressive. At first blush, $20-25K for a few pills seems like a ripoff, but if you consider all the diagnostic work that will need to be done in the year-long 'trial', it is probably not that far out of line. I would consider this today if I were 70 years old. As it stands, if it looks good in 10 years, I'm in.

#15 snowhow

• 2 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 07:55 PM

Here's a question:
On their website, they say that this stuff comes from the astragalus plant in China. I have searched the web and I have found a lot of studies in everything from ulcers to chemotharapy. Clearly this stuff does have some medicinal value. So has anyone heard of or know about any other independent studies, other than Geron, where the astragulus plant was used or tested for telomerase activation, or any other kind of anti-aging?

#16 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:38 PM

In China the plant is used for menstrual problems, and for anemia, in combination with other herbs.

#17 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:56 PM

I'll let all you eager early adopters be the guinea pigs here, same as with any other new junk that is totally unproven. I might try the herb, it has a long history of use but will stay away from refined substances and stay really far away from proprietary blends with unknown ingredients. But don't let that slow down the rest of you, go out and test it for me. If it pans out in a few years, I may try it.

#18 snowhow

• 2 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 10:26 PM

I'm not going near anything without some kind of outside independent results. My point is that these people are the only ones that I can find who claim to have researched this. Are there any others besides these people?

#19 reason

• Guardian Reason
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 12:00 AM

http://www.fightagin...ives/001181.php

http://www.fightagin...ives/001178.php

#20 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 03:22 AM

This is almost certainly a scam.  www.prnewswire.com appears to be
merely a marketing/advertisement site masquerading as a news site.

The "product" is not a drug, but rather a "Chinese plant extract" of
some sort.  The TA Sciences website offers such claims as "male sexual
enhancement", "softer skin", "clearer vision", etc.  Red flags are
already popping up all over the place!

I have a feeling that this "Pivotal 2005 Anti-Aging Trial" to be
announced at the end of the month will be a poor-quality, unpublished
pseudo-study.

A response:

This is no scam. Geron staff consists of arguably the best telomere
experts in the world. Yes, the TA Science site appears inexplicably
amaturish and scamish, but the molecule is the result of years of work
by some of the world's leading scientists. A report on the clinical
trial is due to surface on April 30. The protocol offered is clearly
designed by and for medical professionals. I'll have more info when
they return my call or email, and will report further if warranted.

Well, I am hopeful that this thing works. But, I would eat dirt before I try that first.

#21 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 04:07 AM

Here's another quote from sci.life-extension, user jc101.

here are the use patents for Astragalus and telomerase:
http://tinyurl.com/2yypov
http://tinyurl.com/3db889

Telomerase induction tested originally using a 10:1  95% ethanolic
extract of Astralagus root (this extract was called GRN925)

The most potent compound in the extract seems to be astragaloside IV
or cycloastragenol, one of which which may be the GRN-665 (TA-65)
TAT0002 molecule.

Glad to read of this property of Astragalus root, especially since it
is so inexpensive, extracts are available up to 5% astragalosides.
Given the patents' proof testing of the rough extract, I see no point
in further extraction of the most active molecule - similar situation
to using a 50% resveratrol from a knotweed extract rather than trying
to purify or synthesize the active resveratrol molecule, saves a lot
of effort and cash.
JLC

I don't expect Geron to be associated with a scam. I think the reason it looks scamish is that the target audience is not scientists. The target audience is probably well-to-do middle aged males (with no dependents?) who are motivated and are willing to sign a full release. There are plenty of Wall Street types who would likely fit the bill, most of whom are not scientists. I'm happy to be able to see the results in a few years of TA-65 Phase IIB testing on hedge fund managers. Call it their contribution to a better world.

#22 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 04:31 AM

Call it their contribution to a better world.

Hahaha.

I don't expect Geron to be associated with a scam.

I don't either, TA Sciences looks pretty aweful though. Im going to hold my breath till some more studies come back, but Im excited.

#23 waverock

• 7 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 03:19 AM

I received this letter today form TA Sciences

Thank you for your recent inquiry and your interest in TA Sciences. The 12
month PATTON PROTOCOL TM is the first and only program in the exciting
field of Telomere Biology designed to help optimize our individual health
as we age, and to help prolong our "Healthspan". Here is how it works:

Clients need to visit the TA Center in New York and have extensive blood
work and other biomarkers of aging done prior to starting the PATTON
PROTOCOL. This will establish your baseline condition. About two weeks
later, when the test results are in, you will have an in-depth
consultation with our associated Anti-Aging physician to discuss your
results and assess your individual health situation. If you live outside
of the New York area, it is possible to have your consultation over the
phone.

The price for this baseline program, which would normally cost close to
$5000.00, is $2430 (our actual third party, discounted out-of-pocket
costs). This baseline evaluation is very valuable on its own as a health
and aging tool. After your initial biomarkers and consultation, you then
decide if you actually want to start the 12 month PATTON PROTOCOL.

The PATTON PROTOCOL consists of:

- A year's supply of Telomerase Activator TA-65 TM (Patents Pending). This
is a pulsed program taken daily for 3 months, then off for 3 months, and
then taken again for the next 3 months, then off again for the final 3
months.

- A repeat of the baseline blood work and biomarkers of aging at 3 months,
6 months, 9 months and 12 months, and follow-up consultations with the
Anti-Aging physician at each of those time points to track your personal
progress.

-A year's supply of our proprietary packets of other nutritional
supplements, vitamins, minerals, and herbs specially formulated for TA
Sciences. These packets, taken 2 times a day, offer a comprehensive
assortment of the most effective vitamins, minerals and herbs, available
anywhere.

- A series of monthly consultations with TA Sciences' expert Lifestyle
Counselor is also available and included, to help you optimize your
personal health and aging goals.

The price for the 12 month Protocol is $22,570.00, payable in two 6 month
installments of $11,285.00 each. We expect the benefits of Telomerase
Activation to last well beyond the initial 12 month period, but this is
leading edge technology and individual results will vary. We suggest that
clients come back one year after finishing the Protocol to have their
biomarkers re-tested and evaluated, and to discuss whether a TA
Maintenance Program at a significantly lower cost would be beneficial.

Please call me if you have any questions or would like to schedule your
biomarkers.

With Best Regards,

Greta Blackburn,
Marketing Director
TA Sciences Inc.
Phone: 212-588-8805
E-mail: gretabfit@aol.com

#24 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 03:34 AM

Lots of red flags there.... Guinea pigs paying for their own protocol, the price... grettabfit@aol.com (please, they don't even have their own email addresses x@tasciences.com or whatever) It's a scam

#25 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 04:17 AM

-A year's supply of our proprietary packets of other nutritional
supplements, vitamins, minerals, and herbs specially formulated for TA
Sciences. These packets, taken 2 times a day, offer a comprehensive
assortment of the most effective vitamins, minerals and herbs, available
anywhere.

This is the red flag for me. The test is supposed to be about TA-65 so why mess up the results with a load of other supplements?

Geron have sub licensed, so this is not their problem. They obviously don't see themselves as responsible for what others do with their product.

I wouldn't touch these guy even from a safe distance. I would however consider adding a bit of astralagus to my regimen.

#26 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 02:42 PM

I agree, hardly a scientific test with all of those variables, no placebo control (though I guess they really couldn't charge someone 20k for a placebo) so obviously no blinds, single or double.

There may be something to their TA-65 however they have gone about things the wrong way thus turning off anyone with any sense.

As others have mentioned I am all for adding astralagus to my daily stacks as its cheap and has a long history of use for a variety of ailments in eastern herbal medicine and dosen't appear to have the potential for harm.

#27 curious_sle

• 464 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 10:36 AM

update from sci.life-extension...

"
Subj: from Greta B
Date: 4/20/2007 12:26:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time

To: ThomasCarter499

Thomas,

Wow. You're making me delve deeply into my grey matter with your great
questions!

I put out a few calls and emails and got some info for you.

OK, here we go:

Regarding your "disappointment" that we did not measure telomeres in
the Pivotal 2005 Anti-Aging Study: There was no accurate commercial
way to measure telomeres in 2005. It is not available to the public
even today, other than thru us.

You wanted to be sure ours was a double blind study. It was. We do
not know "why?" the placebo group drop off in vision improvement. We
simply don't know.

Per your question about "where" the study will be published. First of
all, it is not finished. It will be very soon, however. It then has to
be submitted for approval to different journals and they may or may
not choose to publish. We anticipat that Dr. Harley will be one of the
authors of any journal publication.

Regarding telomere lengthening vs. cessation of degradation: one of
Geron's collaborators, Rita Effros at UCLA, tested an equivalent
compound to TA- 65 and found that telomere loss was either stopped or
diminished. We believe Geron has other non-public studies that show
telomere lengthening. Because they are non-public, we don't have
formal access to those studies.

Whether your telomeres grow back very long or not you will know, via
our biomarkers, how your vision, immune function, male sexual
function, etc. have improved. ANd yes, you will see your telomere
length before and after the Protocol.

An important point to note, however, is that we absolutely guarantee
that we activate telomerase--and that is not insignificant, in light
of emerging studies on the benefits of telomerase itself. Yes,
telomerase increases or slows down diminshment of length. It does
OTHER things, however, that are important. I have emailed a colleague
to send me the names of some of the recent studies that might be of
interest to you and will forward them as soon as I receive them.

I will also email you our complete supplement ingredient list. I am
waiting for a final version, since we have recently added some
important nutrients to what was already a complete anti-aging regimen.

Please email me or call me with any more questions!
I'd love to schedule you in for your initial bloodwork and biomarkers.

Thanks!
Greta Blackburn
TA Sciences
"

#28 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 06:45 PM

Well, the more I read the more skeptical I become. Bottom line: A product that is supposed to activate telomerase should have:
a) Telomerase activation tested in patients
b) Telomere lengthening tested in patients
c) Lots of biomarkers tested
Anything not doing a) and b) are not even worth reading about. The only thing that is confusing to me is that Geron has associated with TAsciences....

In the meantime I will remain hopeful that Telomerase activation is possible though at this point I am doubtful that there is a product to do so...

#29 neogenic

• 481 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 01:51 PM

That's a great point Lucid. Is there anyone who's doing that protocol/study? Posted anywhere? I am curious to see whoever's in it, what their thoughts are and results quantitatively.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 leicsu

• 2 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 02:03 AM

I hope they succeed soon!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users