- - - - -

Flatulence

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 02:14 AM

How much gas is too much?
Does large amounts mean a healthy flora of bacteria is present in ones colon?
Does odoriferous gas mean the presence of harmful bacteria?
What can be done to maintain an 'ideal' GI flora, and keep gas levels at a desired or healthy amount?

I will try to start the discussion off with some of the information I have found at eMedicine:

http://www.emedicine.../article_em.htm

Most people produce about 1-3 pints a day and pass gas about 14 times a day

The primary components of gas (known as flatus, pronounced FLAY-tuss) are 5 odorless gases: nitrogen, hydrogen, carbon dioxide, methane, and oxygen.

The characteristic odor is attributed to trace gases such as skatole, indole, and sulfur-containing compounds.

An estimated 30-150 grams of this undigested food reach the colon in the form of carbohydrate every day. But this amount can vary with diet and how well your GI tract is functioning.

The unpleasant odor often associated with flatus is generally attributed to trace sulfur-containing compounds, produced only by particular bacteria not found in everyone.

And to regulate gas:

Beano is an enzyme supplement that may be useful with bean ingestion. It contains the sugar-digesting enzyme that the body lacks to digest the sugar in beans and many vegetables. Beano has no effect on gas caused by lactose or fiber. You can buy the enzyme over-the-counter. Add 3-10 drops per serving just before eating to break down the gas-producing sugars.

Activated charcoal tablets (Charcocaps) may provide relief from gas in the colon. Gas can be reduced if tablets are taken before and after a meal. The usual dose is 2-4 tablets taken just before eating and 1 hour after meals.

#2 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:09 AM

14 times a day? on a regular, healthy day.. maybe once or twice i am conscious of myself passing gas... if that.

charcoal is a bad idea.

i find that the amount & smell of gas is more related to my digestive function, than it is to my bacteria levels...as i consume probiotics somewhat regularly & nearly never have issues with gas. if i overeat, consume coffee w/ food, eat overly fatty/sugary foods... all of which lead to slower, less complete digestion and longer transition times... i get smelly gas.

if you have problems w/ gas... consume 1/2 to 1 gram of fennel & ginger at every meal. this drastically improves digestive function in most people. consume quality probiotics semi-regularly. take 1/2 - 1 tsp triphala before bed in 6oz water untill the gas goes away.

btw cooking your beans /w a pinch of cumin and a 1/2 stick of kombu will totally eliminate their gas-causing potential
  • Needs references x 1

#3 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 March 2021 - 07:57 PM

healthy farts have no odour and should not happen often, same with burps. They are results of unhealthiness. 

Edited by kurdishfella, 12 March 2021 - 07:58 PM.

• Needs references x 1
  • Disagree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users